Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many houses are enough?

Dear Landlords,

I have been saving money while working overseas, and started buying rental houses in Auckland this year. I want to move back to Auckland after the rental income is enough to cover living cost.

So i need some advice on how much is living cost for a family with 2 kids.

Thank you

Impossible question. Kim Dotcom cant survive on 20k a month and is asking the court for 70k.
    This site has some discussion and prices for migrants.
    What it costs to live in New Zealand may be quite different to your home country. How it compares depends on where you are coming from and what part of New Zealand you settle in.
    Doug

Comment

I agree, what a daft question yet it is asked time and again.
      Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

I would say an average middle class aucklander who can run a household budget and not rack up debt on credit cards and Hire purchase agreements could live off 60k minimum. But I would say 150k pa and you can put decent money aside for investing.

Comment

How long is a piece of string?
          Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Work out what your expectations of a reasonable income are. As has been pointed out, this can vary wildly.
            Divide that by the net income you would reasonably expect per house.
            That will give you the number of houses/units you will need. My target is 10.

(Don't forget to allow for maintenance and tax in your calculations).

Comment

As a VERY rough guide for retirement multiply by what you wish to spend year one by 25.

IE. spend 80k year one, need at least 2 mil net worth.
              Works ok for a 20 or so year retirement, past that less so.

Not really what you are asking I know, as sounds as if you will still be working.
              But 80k net household income per year should be comfortable enough to provide you with options.

Comment

Murphy's Law Number 3
                Any piece of string cut to length is always too short
                "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

thank you for the answers, cheers

Comment

Four.
                    One to live in.
                    One to pay the taxes.
                    Two to live off.

Easy peasie Mr Nomoney Sir.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                      How long is a piece of string? IE How do you measure it?

Has the string got frayed ends? If so, at what point do you measure the string. At the end of the bulk of the string? IE 75% or more string filling the void therefore giving length. OR at the end of the frayed bits? If the frayed bits get counted in the strings length can quality assurance guarantee the usefulness of said string? Measuring said string must be carried out under supervision by NZQA assessors until string measurement process's are deemed to be competent. There may be a W.I.N.Z. subsidy for learning the "ropes" so to speak. Call their free help line (0800 lazybuggar) to make enquiries.

www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

A piece of string is twice the length from one end to the middle.

Comment

Five months

How long is a piece of string? Annoying little comment, isn't it? It means absolutely nothing and reminds me of pledges from my insurance claims managers informing me they'll call back ''shortly''.
                          In my case, the longest ''shortly'' was a staggering five months, and that was despite my occasional email and phone call reminders.
                          www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/blogs/where-theres-a-will/7428648/How-long-is-a-piece-of-string

Comment

Working...
                          X