• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yes but I wouldn't trust WOM from someone I didn't know, that was provided by a PM company. Could be their brother/sister/cousin/the guy they are paying with beer.

Question: If a tenant had moved out and obviously hasn’t been very organised. He abandoned a bunch of rubbish in the flat and left windows, doors wide open and lights fully on. What would you do when you walk in to this during inspection day?

Answer: If you have any common sense. The least you would do is ring up the tenant and see if he has fully moved out. Shut the lights, windows and doors so not anyone can just walk in and out the property.

What my (ex) property manager did: walked right in and right out. Wrote an email complaining about the situation and telling me that she doesn’t know “where we go from here”.

What I did: I told the PM to go back the property and shut everything and also ring tenants. Of course she is determined to be absolutely useless and do nothing. I had to ask my friend who drove to the property to do that after his work. I rang the tenant and give them a deadline to clean up the property. They didn’t and the next day cleaning company came cleaned up all the mess and I chased tenant’s parent for cleaning money (which they paid).

And there is nothing we can do about the incompetent PM except learn the lesson. It’s when shet hits the fan you know what your pm worth. Paying someone and also doing their job is absolutely crazy. Yet I just did. Oh and I did all that while I was overseas. Wow, I want to laugh now.
    Last edited by SleepyTiger; 15-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Do you have a contract? Pretty sure there are remedies under that - The lawyers on here will be able to provide advice. But there will be costs.

Lol yes, but what’s the point? I do love to bring them down, but it’s hardly worth my time or money. I got all the money back from the tenant’s parent and the bond, happily managing the property myself now.

If you feel the need to vent, and to provide a heads up for other LL's, you can always name the PM on here (provided your post is signed with your real name).

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTiger View Post
    It’s when shet hits the fan you know what your pm worth.
    Yes this is the key. Happy to take your money for doing nothing but do absolutely nothing when things aren't simple. Oh and they love getting people around for unnecessary maintenance and repairs so they get paid again.

Still no really recourse is there? Anyone have success getting a refund from a property manager?
    Last edited by RHarris; 15-08-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Name 'n' shame'm

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTiger View Post
    Question: If a tenant had moved out and obviously hasn’t been very organised. He abandoned a bunch of rubbish in the flat and left windows, doors wide open and lights fully on. What would you do when you walk in to this during inspection day?
    Answer:
    This would have been covered in my PM authority with the owner.

Charges to the owner for removal and storage of abandoned goods would exceed the value of the goods. Therefore, the goods are removed and dumped with costs for doing so claimed from the bond.

The tenant would have already been given a cleaning guidelines sheet to prompt them on what we require for end of tenancies.

On a different scenario, Abandonment Lock the property up and secure it. Apply immediately for possession for abandonment (don't forget to ask for three weeks in lieu of notice) with the resultant exemplary damages when the rent is in arrears.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccachic View Post
    Do you have a contract? Pretty sure there are remedies under that - The lawyers on here will be able to provide advice. But there will be costs.
    You may be surprised to find (I was) that you probably cant claim anything under a PM contract, because you do not, in fact, pay a charge for services. You pay a commission on rent.

Unless your contract specifically states that for this percentage of the rent, the PM will do a,b,c etc, then you cant actually claim they failed to fulfill their contract.

Also, to go to the disputes tribunal, the PM actually has to DISPUTE any claims you make. If they do what Eric Voice at Agile property Management did, and refuse to answer emails, phone calls or lawyers letters, the Disputes Tribunal will not lodge the claim. Clearly some PM's know how to work the system and avoid having to take responsibility for their incompetence and your loss.

So what can you do?

Write a blog lol. Tell every property investor you know in the area what the PM has done or failed to do. Use google, and any listings websites they are registered under to leave feedback about their practices.

Don't lie! Make sure you can back up what you say with evidence ( I have a file inches thick that the Disputes tribunal failed to lodge, but I have kept the info anyway so I can show that I am not making any defamatory or false claims about what happened).

And if you really want to make a point, get control of the property, clean it up, and charge more rent to better tenants that your failure of a PM was able to do. Making a success of their screw up, and being a better investor / landlord than they could ever hope to be (as well as a better human being) is pretty good medicine I also gave the properties to a Wellington PM company (properties in the Wairarapa) given a professional PM company a foothold in the area, instead of having to rely on a one man band or REAs. That also helped to be honest!

Hope that helps a bit.

Avalon
    (Helen Winterbottom)

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Write a blog lol. Tell every property investor you know in the area what the PM has done or failed to do. Use google, and any listings websites they are registered under to leave feedback about their practices.

Brilliant. Good work!

Thread Information