• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Property Management incompetence

Just wondering do property managers have any authority they report to like Real Estate Agents? I'm guessing they don't as it seems anyone can do it. What do you do if their incompetence has cost you money in unpaid rent and damage which is unlikely to be retrieved?

Quote Originally Posted by RHarris View Post
    Just wondering do property managers have any authority they report to like Real Estate Agents? I'm guessing they don't as it seems anyone can do it. What do you do if their incompetence has cost you money in unpaid rent and damage which is unlikely to be retrieved?
    Nope. Property Managers are NOT governed by any body.

Shane

They have every authority to exercise NZ Tenancy Law as a landlord does and no more or no less than a Real Estate Agent does.

You have authority to apply to the Disputes Tribunal for recourse from them if you are out of pocket as a result of thier mis-management

Also a good agent should have also named the property owner as a LL party on a tenancy agreement - allowing the owner every right to make applications with the Tenancy Tribunal themselves

Have just got rid of one myself who constantly paid rent late. Have since heard stories (be them true or not) that other owners have been invoiced for repairs which were never carried out - did affect my property as any maintenance we organised ourself. Really need a rate my PM website.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Also a good agent should have also named the property owner as a LL party on a tenancy agreement - allowing the owner every right to make applications with the Tenancy Tribunal themselves
    I was hoping the idea of having a property manager is you don't go through this hassle of Tenancy Tribunal yourself.

I thought that maybe property managers that are divisions of Real Estate agencies might have more rules applied through REINZ.

I guess an option is to take the property managers to disputes tribunal. It seems that the property management fees already paid were a waste of money as they weren't managing the property well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RHarris View Post

I thought that maybe property managers that are divisions of Real Estate agencies might have more rules applied through REINZ.
    Yes.

https://www.reinz.co.nz/reinz/public...agers_home.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Maccachic View Post
    Have just got rid of one myself who constantly paid rent late. Have since heard stories (be them true or not) that other owners have been invoiced for repairs which were never carried out - did affect my property as any maintenance we organised ourself. Really need a rate my PM website.
    Not a bad idea having a feedback site. I find 50% of managers know what they're doing and 50% are useless. The standard just isn't good enough for how much money they take. They just seem to have a free reign to be useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Thanks. Yes a qualification and authority for them is a good idea.

Yes I stuck with them for a while as they did place good tennants and its hard with no personal recomendations to pick a new one, at the risk of jumping from the pot into the fire so to speak.

I did look through TT orders in regards to the PM companies I was considering but other than that not a lot to go on.
    Last edited by Maccachic; 15-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Word- of- mouth referrals from satisfied property owners are the best testimonials for either independent PM's and REINZ PM's

Thread Information