Extractor Fans for Bathrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extractor Fans for Bathrooms

:mrgreen: Hi, we have a really small bathroom with a flat roof. This room has been added on to our mostly concrete tile roof house and the roof on the extension is really shallow. the walls are already lined and we don't want to have to rip gib off to get wiring in for a thru the wall extractor. we can regib the ceiling and we have some wiring at the top of an internal wall which runs a useless bathroom heater. Is there any extractor fan available that will fit in a shallow roof space? I have checked out the slimline IXL 3-in-1 units and they are too deep (no room for ducting) so we need to go straight out the roof with some sort of dektite. Everyone we speak to has a different opinion. Someone suggested taking the scocias off and running cable behind it but it still leaves us with some ugly trunking up the wall and the risk of puncturing the wiring with nails when reinstating the scocia.
    If you think you're indispensable - poke your finger in a bowl of water and see how much of a hole it leaves when you pull it out.

There are other extractors which go through an external wall or you can put then in a window. This way it does not matter how much roof space you have. But then of course you have the visible wiring issue to deal with.

Comment

Re: Extractor Fans for Bathrooms

Originally posted by nagemdraw
      :some sort of dektite. Everyone we speak to has a different opinion. Someone suggested taking the scocias off and running cable behind it but it still leaves us with some ugly trunking up the wall and the risk of puncturing the wiring with nails when reinstating the scocia.
      Nagemdraw,

we have installed several of these heater/extractor ceiling fans and have found them to be next to useless, they are just not grunty enough. You really want a strong wall mounted fan to have any effect linked to the light switch with a timer say 5 min automatic switch off after light comes on. Another idea if your flooring is not down and it sounds like your private residence to consider underfloor heating. More $ but effective.

In most of our rentals we now mount a ceiling grill and cut 50mm off the bottom of the door to allow circulation, unfortunately you do not have the ceiling cavity to do so.

I would re-gib that wall space, well worth it in the long run.

Fritz.
      Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours. - Richard Bach

Comment

Hi nagemdraw,

This may or may not be of use to you but, last year at T.P.I.A we had people from shower dome sponsor an evening. I know of four maybe five people that bought one for their rentals and the question was posed at the last meeting if everyone was satisfied with the product. The answer was a resounding yes.

The product fits over the shower cubicle and keeps the condensation contained. I have seen it in action at Tauranga's Home shows and the product looks quite effective.

If a shower cubicle is the main cause for condensation in your bathroom, perhaps this could be a easier and more cost effective solution to your problem.

I have tracked down a "0800" ph number via google. Not sure if it works or not.

Showerdome Ltd. Call Free, 0800 541 2233

I hope this helps.

Regards,
        Marcus.

Comment

STOP THE PRESS

Look what I found.
          Install a Showerdome as an alternative to an extractor fan to enjoy the benefits of a drier, healthier home. Buy online now, or we can install for you.

Regards...

Comment

Hi nagemdraw

Had very similar problem in one of my rentals, compounded by having a shower, dryer and washing machine in the same room. Spoke to several tradesmen about the problem. All agreed the best solution was a wall mounted fan. Bought one with a timer which was connected to the light switch and was set to stop 15 minutes after the light went out. Installed it myself and cost about $80 to buy. Electricial had to lift the iron off the roof to get to the wiring. Cost about $200 all up.

Good idea Fritz about taking off 50mm from the bottom of the door. Have to remember that one. Wouldn't work in this case as the door opened directly onto a foyer which was open to the elements.

Comment

Cheers

We're now looking at dropping the ceiling so we can fit a ceiling extractor and some ducting in. Has anyone tried this before? We are thinking that we may angle the ceiling so it's higher at the entrance to the room and lowered at the exterior wall. The shower domes look like an excellent idea and would definately help. I know that none of the extractor fans on the market are as grunty as you expect them to be so everything will help!! Also planning to prime the walls with zinnser (?) which is used to seal concrete from dampness seeping through and from mould etc growing.
              If you think you're indispensable - poke your finger in a bowl of water and see how much of a hole it leaves when you pull it out.

Comment

Re: Cheers

We're now looking at dropping the ceiling so we can fit a ceiling extractor and some ducting in. Has anyone tried this before?
                ND,

yep you can do that. However, all you are doing is deferring the problem to later and the ceiling cavity will simply be rotting away over time if not properly ventilated. Been there done that. Looks good for a while, but after 3 years your problems are back. Proper ventilation with the shortest possible distance between vent and outside is the way to go.

Also planning to prime the walls with zinnser (?) which is used to seal concrete from dampness seeping through and from mould etc growing.
                And then there is mould killer as paint additive etc, etc. Again, it only DEFERS your problem. Whilst it works OK, if the wall remains damp on the outside or your bathroom remains damp the end result is the same. I am just looking at a house I have done 3 years ago with exactly what you are doing and I am now kicking myself for not having taken the advice I had been given then. Trying to save $50 over 5 years does not add up.

Do it once, do it right is what we do now. Short term quick fixes are good for seller uppers, but lame for buy and holds. What is yours?

Fritz.
                Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours. - Richard Bach

Comment

Oops

Thanks Fritz. I should have been a bit more specific and stated that we will duct it out the soffit but dropping the ceiling just gives us the bit of space we need to fit the depth of the fan unit as well as the ducting. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks Marcus. We're heading to Tauranga this weekend so will call in at the fibreglass place which demonstrates these shower domes.

Comment

Youre welcome Megan,

Feel free to drop me a line if you guys would like to meet for a coffee.

Regards,
                      Marcus.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus
                        STOP THE PRESS

Look what I found.
                        Install a Showerdome as an alternative to an extractor fan to enjoy the benefits of a drier, healthier home. Buy online now, or we can install for you.

Regards...
                        Even cheaper

www.useapieceofperspex.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                        X