• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stonewood Homes and Peter Ray Homes

Hi Guys

Has anybody recently built with Stonewood Homes or Peter Ray Homes?

We are in Chch, and we'll build later next year, our budget is approx 300k.

Those two companies seems has quite a lot resources.

We'd like to find a balance among design, time to build, price and quality for a 4 beds and 2 baths in 200m2.

Very much appreciate.
    Last edited by Sakubear; 06-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.

I haven't built with them, but I know that there have been problems in the Western Bay Of Plenty region with site prep on a couple of builds.

Are they working under a franchise system per region? Could be totally different where you are.
    Patience is a virtue.

I agree with you, I noticed there were lots discussion from people coming from different region about Stonewood in the forum back in early 2011.

One thing I've just learnt from those conversation is PM and Sales person are different people. Sales people we met recently from both build companies seems all pretty nice to talk with.

But once you sign contract and pay the deposit, it might end up with different story. We are in Christchurch, this year there are lots and lots builds in new subdivisions, show homes always looks great.

Apart from PropertyTalk website, I also found few reviews at "mytradesman" website

Contract Homes is also on our list to approach next. Not sure how great they are.

Thank you for your reply.

Having built a kitset home within the last year, yes the salespeople are wonderful ....... until the contract is signed.

We literally did not see ANY representative of the building company once they had provided the kitset. Even though they avowed that if there were any problems (numerous materials) they would be there to help us.

I ended up liaising with the contracted building supplier, who were marvellous. I shouldn't have needed to do that.

You need to be very aware, very "on to it" and don't take any bullscatter from them.

Also you said you're in Christchurch. The building companies are going to be really stretched meeting the demands/time frames of those involved. If you're not happy, say so. If it something feels "off" get on to it straight away. Hassle the bejesus out of them, if you don't they'll let you slide. You'll only be one of thousands of people wanting their business.
    Patience is a virtue.

why not just get a "good" builder, they were building houses before the franchise homes started, that way you are paying the man who is hammering in the nails not some flash git with a Audi and a fancy office, i dont have enough fingers to count how many franchise builders have gone under in the Otago region in the last few years owing millions, lots of subbies i know wont work for them or if they do they load their prices

My parents built with Mcraeways and had no issues but that was years ago now, I see they are still around.

Hi Sakubear

I pm'd you yesterday. Just advising you that Stonewood is about to release a new pre fab building system shortly. I am probably going to be building one in Wellington. I am not affiliated with Stonewood in any way but I know the guy who designed the new stuff and it's a pretty cool concept. It's under $1700 per sqm. And has special foundations to cope with earthquakes.

I have a high level description of the technology so feel free to pm me.

Default New Tech

Hi Toasty

I got your post, thank you for letting me know about it.

The new stuff sounds cool!

And I hope that is include in the standard spec.

I'll make sure I'll ask the sales guy about this.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    Hi Sakubear

I pm'd you yesterday. Just advising you that Stonewood is about to release a new pre fab building system shortly. I am probably going to be building one in Wellington. I am not affiliated with Stonewood in any way but I know the guy who designed the new stuff and it's a pretty cool concept. It's under $1700 per sqm. And has special foundations to cope with earthquakes.

I have a high level description of the technology so feel free to pm me.

Toasty - just PM'd you. Would like the info too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccachic View Post
    My parents built with Mcraeways and had no issues but that was years ago now, I see they are still around.
    still around at the moment you mean

Thread Information