Market Turning Latest Great Deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market Turning Latest Great Deals

I thought it may be interesting to start tracking the ever increasing number of great deals people are starting to get.

My family and friends all laughed the other day when I said I was offering $150,000 under valuation for a property. And even I was amazed to get an accepted offer at 30% under valuation for not only the house but the adjacent section as well!

The deals are there for the taking! If you have made any low ball offers and had them accepted let us know. I think the market is turning, lets start tracking it.
    UP
    40.00%
    DOWN
    60.00%

Ivanw,

Great post - how about giving us a bit more. Can you describe the purchase, the area etc. This might give us all an idea of how the market is moving in different areas. It seems the Auckland market has turned but it could be some of the smaller cities have yet to reach their peak.

I realise the deal you have just talked about is exceptional in any of our markets and inspiration is a very strong motivater. Naturally you might like to keep some of your success formula to yourself, but if you can whett a few apetities it is no bad thing.

Julian.
    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Ivan

I'll add my voice to that request - any info you can provide would not only be interesting but valuable. Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

Hey people...sorry for not posting more details! I really do not have to much of a formula yet as I have just arrived back from the USA. This is the first property we have bought. I told my wife I would not buy unless it was a really good deal...we bought in about 2 weeks after arriving home!

The deal was in the 600k+ list range with the two large sections. but we obviously got a much better deal! House is on the westside of Auckland in the country with views back to the city. I figure once we have sold the section we would have paid just over 300k for an executive level home with huge section and everything one could want! Probably sell the house in a couple of years for 500k! fingers crossed.

Comment

I started to think last night about how your investing formula changes from place to place but then again for us it has actually stayed the same in a way. What has changed for us is the type of property and the value, but we have ended up doing the same thing as we did the USA!!

See my post about our adventures in the USA here

So this is our formula for those who are interested....

Buy everything with a plan to sell.

Buy with instant equity! 30% under what it could be sold for is a good indication.

Add value cheaply but well with decorating, painting and staging.

Market the property to high end overseas/tenants via the internet and rent for 1-2 years

Sell at a huge profit! :-)

Don't worry about paying tax as you have made boats loads of money so stop complaining.

Thats it! well not exactly all of it...but you get the basics.

Comment

Ivan,
            Just re-read your incredible story of success in the US. Quiggles has achieved similar results also in the US. Hope you and Mrs W are going to come along to Quiggles' little gathering at the Kermadec on Wednesday evening (about 5pm) - down at the Viaduct Basin. It would be great to have the opportunity to talk with you both - and all the others of course!
            Julian.
            Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Hey Julian, I am not sure If we can make it at 5 as I don't really get home until 6pm and wouldn't get there until 7! Though I would love to meet some more people and share some stories.

What type of property deals have you been doing recently in NZ?

Comment

Ivan,

Why not knock off work early? Priorities - let's see: work or talking property ...hmmm. In any case I'm sure it will still be going strong at 7pm. I'm usually one of the last to leave - same at parties, but that's another story.

As for me I'm more of a commercial investor, well I have been up until now - just bought a place almost on the lake at Rotorua; the intention to operate a B&B out of it, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.

Right now, after re-reading yours and quiggles' posts, I'm thinking I should be heading for the USA. Some people are a bit anti the US at the moment, but that's just the politics. The people themselves (most of them) are bloody nice, as a rule - least that's what I've found.

And there would never be a better time to take cash into the US. Talk is our dollar is set to retreat from the greenback to around 60c by next year.

See you at Kermadec, hopefully.

Julian.

Comment

As usual I'm about to agree with Julian.....

It has been my experience that Citizens of the good old US of A make fantastic hosts but lousy visitors....
                  Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

Manawatu Property Investors' Association

Comment

Janesco,

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Some of us kiwis don't behave as well as we should when we are overseas. Ask the Germans what they think of kiwis attending their Beer Fest.

Julian.

Comment

Every country has its arseholes......but generally you will find people are nice wherever you go if you give them a chance!

Julian a couple more deals and I may not have to worry about doing a 9-5 job!

Comment

Ivan,

I agree. Look for the good in people and you will find it. Look for the bad and you will find that too. Personally I prefer finding the good in people. People have a habit of rising to the challenge, whatever it be.

There is a lesson in that for ourselves - to aim to be as good as we can, in every way. It's taken me a good while to get to this way of thinking, and the benefits seem to come back with compounding interest.

Ivan I think you and Mrs W have really pushed the boat out with your achievements. I am in awe. See you both Wednesday evening.

Julian

Comment

Hi Ivanw
                          I am interested in reading your article, can you please check the link again that you posted above, as it does not seem to work for me?
                          Thanks
                          Rebecca
                          =:Rebecca

Comment

Working...
                          X