• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Trees & Power lines...

Please excuse me if this has been answered elsewhere.

I've just purchased a Home & Income property in Wellington, and have noticed that a number of trees are touching both the power and telephone lines. I have received a quote from Treescape to remove some Macrocarpas, and to thin out the tree canopy.

I have also been told that the local power board / telecom company may pay or contribute to the cost of removing the Macrocarpas, as it is a safety issue.

The trees are on my property. On a related note, should you have suggestions as to a good (and affordable) arborist, please let me know.

Thanks

I dont know about your area but in ours we have network tasman as the people responsible for the lines they will give you one free trim of trees close to power lines or a free felling. If you decide to keep the trees and get them trimmed then you are responsible for any further trimming.
    We have had numerous trees felled for free by network tasman once felled we are responsible for the clean up.

You should check with the local lines company to see what they will or wont do for you.

Google, Electricity (Hazards from Trees) Regulations 2003. Your local lines company is obilgated to provide the first cut or trim at their expense. Given you have only just purchased the property and the regulations came into being in 2003 it is quite likely that they have already met this obligation. After the first cut or trim has been completed it is the tree owners responsibility to ensure the trees are kept clear of the lines. If the lines company becomes aware that a hazard exists they must issue you a notice to cut the trees. Unless the trees are already touching then clause 14 requires the Lines company to cut the trees without delay and if they have already provided a first free cut or trim they can invoice you for reasonable cost

Thread Information