• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default any sharemarket followers out there?

Hi,

My Mother has some money tied up shares (some sort of managed fund) It has lost around $3-4k in the last year. She's asking me if she would be better taking it out and doing something else with.

She does still have a mortgage, so Im tempted to advise her to put her money towards that. The only thing is that, once she's paid it back to the bank its gone, and she may need some emergency money one day. Shes in her 60s. Even if she does pay this money toward her mortgage , it still won't pay it off.

Does anyone think that the NZ share market will pick up in the next year or two? Im not that hopfeul it will!

wrong forum really

but i doubt things will pick up much within a year

people keep taking up any bit of good news

but the fundamental numbers being returned by most stuff

are rubbish
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

I started a shar-investing fund through a company about 3 years ago, SwissTony. Only really to ensure I'm splitting the assets around a bit. I regularly deposit a small amount (300/mth) to this fund and it actively buys/sells an assortment of NZ and offshore shares. It was very depressing to read the results in my recent statement. Worth less today than the sum of the deposits added over the last 12 months. Fees still taken, of course. I'm really getting pissed off by the whole sham.

She could become a diy'er
    Open an online share acct.
    Invest in 4 or 5 solid NZ companies that pay good regular dividends. Companies that earn their revenue from life's necessities.
    She then pays no fees, and retains the liquidity necessary to meet contingencies as they arise.
    When interest rates rise, she can re consider as whether it's better to reduce debt.

Yeah, did that as well. Telecom and Contact Energy. What a great investment they were <---- sarcasm in the extreme.

A$22 billion wiped off oz exchange this morning...

Adding to the woes of A$110 billion wiped from the market last month, the sharemarket closed at its lowest since November, a fearful response to weak economic data from China, Britain and the US in recent days.

''People are more concerned about a return of their capital as opposed to a return on their capital.''

With no end in sight to the debt crisis in Europe, and poor US employment data suggesting growth will continue to be sluggish, investors face months of uncertainty.

''[Given] the way the markets are behaving, there is a big chance that we could very easily see the market still lower in the next month or two, and a low around 3800 is possible,'' Mr Coppleson wrote in a note to clients.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/worl...-shares-buckle
    Last edited by eri; 05-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
    Yeah, did that as well. Telecom and Contact Energy. What a great investment they were <---- sarcasm in the extreme.
    Whereas the Bonds in both these companies have done very well.

Depending on what bank you are with your mum could put the money in an offset account which means that she still has access to it but it has the effect of reducing the mortgage payments.

On the other hand I am a fan of the share market but you have to do your research. I recommend that you browse the forums on http://www.sharetrader.co.nz. There is a lot of good info on here.

Mutual funds are less work but they seem to be run for the benefit of the fund managers.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Speights Boy - unfortunatley DIY shares probably wouldn't be Mum''s cup of tea. For others out there, a good idea for sure. Toasty - the idea of paying off the mortgage with the right to withdraw some might work. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post

When looking at share market return you need to be looking at a decent time horizon. I would say 10 years.

Returns over 10 years:
    TEL 2.65%pa
    CEN 7.59%pa
    These both have delivered positive returns even though have been poor performing stocks.

Thread Information