• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Poor workmanship for brickwork

We are currently building a new home in a nice suburb. We have employed a building company and to date all has gone well. The brickwork started about a week ago and seemed to be going well, until I started to notice inconsistant gaps in the morter, resulting in a very uneven look to the lines and gaps, they got to the half way stage before I told them to stop as the work is just not up to standard, I have seen other work in the area and this does not compare to the poor standard on my build, I had a friend who is a REAL bricklayer inspect it and he said they were cowboys and that it really needs to be taken down and started again from scratch.

I have notified the building company and will meet them on site tomorrow to find a solution. Does anyone have advice on what I need to say? Is it just a matter of telling them to fix? I do not want these guys near my place after the crap work they produced so someone new will have to come in and do the work. My friend said the bricks up are no good to use again and will have to be binned.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

FH

building companies us the cheapest product/labour that they can get, find out if they are licensed for a start..http://lbp.dbh.govt.nz/publicregister/search.aspx if they are members of the local bricklayers assn? if your not happy with the job now is the time to stop it

Thanks will check that site out, I find though registered or not, poor workmanship is poor workmanship, not matter who is a member!

yes but if they are members of the bricklayers assn you can have someone from there check the job and lean on them to fix it, or tell your builder you wont be paying for it until your happy

Oh, I see Jimo! What really gets me is how a building company finds these so called tradesmen. As you say they are going for the cheepest quote and then charge you for their profit. I was told by my friend today that cowboys and some asian contractors were undercutting the good brickys so that they could get all the work. But as is usual cheapest not always the best.

if the consent was granted before licensing came in they dont have to be licensed but after licensing came in if they arnt licensed you wont get a coc, this should be monitored by your building company

Thread Information