Tenant Acquisition story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Acquisition story

House: Nice 3 bedder in Avondale heights, existing tenants were moving on. Needed new tenants.

I re-read some good threads on here:
    propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?29762-2-hot-tips-from-Keys
    propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?15532-End-of-tenancy-Please-check-these-off-to-avoid-further-costs-to-you!
    propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?28844-A-collection-of-clauses-for-TAs
    propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?30653-Getting-tenants/page2

Took a bunch of pics, but they were not very good (average photographer and an average camera). However, I had a few professional shots downloaded from the ad, from when I bought the place.

Put up an ad on TM. Did not leave a contact number (in case I got a flood of calls) or advertise an open home (did not want a free for all) At this point, I had bought into the hype about rental shortages etc

We got about 30-40 email responses, and I emailed them all, with an open home time of 9am saturday (which suited me well) I also emailed an online application form that I made myself. This was super easy to do using google forms, and cut down on paper work. I asked for landlord and employment references (and checked them as appropriate).

It was funny reading them, as so many said stuff like 'this place is perfect for us' etc - this based on a just a few (18 ) photos.

However, 9am was a dumb move, as it did not suit any prospective tenants, so only a few turned up.

Week 2: I changed the ad with an advertised open home, and my phone number. This worked well, and we got about 10 groups come through, and about 5 applications, of which we went with the best. Got another 20 or so enquiries.

Based on some advise I picked up at an APIA meeting, I asked for 4 weeks bond and 2 weeks rent in advance, the logic being that if they can pay that up front, they will be more likely to be able to pay rent on time.

Learnings:
    One advantage of advertising on TM, is that when they email you, you see their user name, so you can then check their feedback. EG. one person had 30% negative feedback, which made me judge them as a poor prospective tenant.

Not putting a phone number was silly. When I did, I did not get flooded with calls, but there were a few, plus text messages.

Early morning open home was a dumb move. People are either hung over or doing stuff with their kids etc. Afternoons worked much better.

Overall, I'm happy with how it went, good (so far) new tenants, with zero days untenanted.

would be happy to hear any feedback on what else I could have done better
    Last edited by cube; 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM.

sounds good

thanks
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Thanks For The Experience

While I have no insights to add to your tale,
      it is good of you to share your experiences
      on the PT Forums, for the benefit of others.

In PI, learning from others experiences is
      a bonus. Even learning from others errors.
      The learn-go-round is here!

Comment

Sounds like its a good way of doing things. The open home idea is a new one to me for a rental property but if your ad generated a lot of interest then it was the best way & im picking less hassle to yourself & the existing tenants. Many property managers dont even bother doing the most basic cursory checks even more so when they are only going to get a one off finders fee from the tenant. My guess is in that situation where they're not managing the place they would rather the owner carry out checks himself as they could find themselves culpable if they endorsed the "tenants from Hell"..

Comment

Yes, I figured that an agent or PM would have less incentive than me to find the best tenant. As well as that I figured that, given I have a lot of money tied up in the IP that it would be better if I took care of things myself.

With respect to ongoing management, in my favour is the fact that it's my only rental, and I live very close to it. If either of those things changed, then I'd take another look at getting a PM
          Last edited by Perry; 09-05-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Very good.

I keep viewing at about 10:30am or 11am, so that the prospective tenants should have gotten out of bed by now, and keeps the afternoon free for me to do other stuff, or I go visit the tenant's current residence.

Comment

I use a property manager a) because I went overseas when I first became a landlord and B) because the tenancy laws are so complicated it makes my life easier now that Im back.

Comment

We strike for time efficiency in business and ask applicants for personal details before we meet them. Property views are limited to prospective tenants and on invitation only. That tuned process has been working for years

Comment

How much does supply and demand
                  play on the process that's used?

Comment

mrsaneperson, please don't tar all PM with the same brush. I agree there are some PM out there that shouldn't be in biz, but suckers keep signing up to their service, suffer the consequences and bleat. If more PI sacked their PM and took them to the disputes tribunal or laid a complaint with the relevant membership body (REINZ or IPMA) there would be a change in the PM industry. If the PM doesn't belong to a membership body proceed with caution. I'm going to bias here and suggest you use an IPMA member coz all these members are owner operators, who have a vested interest in growing their biz and don't generate incomes if tenants don't pay rent. Somewhat different to an employee sitting in an REINZ office.

Davtam, well done on finding your tenant, I carry out open homes and have them mid afternoon on Sunday. I've found this to be the best time - sports, shopping and family things are all completed. On TM I have viewing by appointment only, when I reply to the enquiries they all get the same time, LOL they all think they are getting their own special time. Ocassional I do a one off viewing during the week if Sunday doesn't suit. Two hours plus travelling time to the property I text them and request they confirm back to me they will be at the viewing. If I dont get confirmation back by the time I'm due to leave for the property I don't go. Beats being stood up and sure beats standing around in an empty cold house in the middle of winter freezing your know whats off. Ocassionally I've forgotten to sent the confirmation text and had to go to a property. Guess what happened, yep I got stood up. LOL

Check out www.ipma.org.nz for you local members.
                    Property Management Solutions

Comment

I'm with Fuzz - we were crap at choosing tenants and switching to a property manager more than paid off in the long run.
                      DFTBA

Comment

How long ago was that?
                        Still with the same one?

Comment

As per your earlier note Perry, I think demand levels from 'good' tenants make a difference. If your IP is a desirable place in a desirable location, then it becomes easier to get tenants.

Comment

could we call that the law of desirability?

desirable place in desirable location even at above average prices

should attract and retain desirable tenants
                            have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

Originally posted by davtam View Post
                              As per your earlier note Perry, I think demand levels from 'good'
                              tenants make a difference. If your IP is a desirable place in
                              a desirable location, then it becomes easier to get tenants.
                              Originally posted by eri View Post
                              could we call that the law of desirability?
                              desirable place in desirable location even at above average prices
                              should attract and retain desirable tenants
                              Timing is also a big factor. Once, about February (if I recall aright)
                              I was swamped with responses. Over 200! Students returning and
                              the fruit picking season was under way. People were sleeping in
                              packing sheds, the media reported. I had more choices, but I'm
                              not sure the selection task was any easier. The phone was insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X