Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NZ Building Code and Monolithic Cladding Fail: Leaky Building Syndrome or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ Building Code and Monolithic Cladding Fail: Leaky Building Syndrome or not.

Even if you own a monolithic clad home that is on all accounts the same condition brick one down the road; it isn’t a leaky home, and your cladding met its minimum durability of a measly 15 years, you will still be forced to rebuild the majority of your home at some point much earlier than you should.

The cladding was never designed to last anywhere near as long as the rest of your home (50 years minimum) and you can't just replace the cladding because the 2004 New Zealand Building Code won't let you.... it doesn't matter what condition your home is in.

The building code was changed in 2004 because the old one failed. The new one means you have to basically rebuild your house rather than replace the cladding. We are talking treated timber, concrete nibs, different windows, different or new flashings, new decks even if they are ok, and so on = minimum $150,000. Even if your home is in perfect condition, is dry and its only 16 years old!!

This might make sense to you: You cannot remove any cladding or other product and replace it with a similar product if it has failed to reach its minimum durability i.e. leaked. Instead you have to gain council approval and build everything to the newest building code requirements. The problem with that is; the new code is so different from the old one that you will basically have to rebuild your home (leaky building syndrome rebuild).

This might NOT make sense to you: Just like above; you cannot remove cladding and replace it even if it HAS met its minimum durability of 15 years and your home is proved to be leak free! Instead you have to gain council approval and everything needs to be up to the new building code just like above.

Lets run through this scenario: You built a house with monolithic cladding; its a singled level home with a concrete tile roof, you got a good builder and tradespeople and the council signed it off, you have been diligent with your maintenance. Your home has been checked and it does not have leaky building syndrome. The cladding has meets it minimum durability and you would like to change the cladding on its 17th birthday. After all it wasn’t designed to last as long as the rest of the house so was always going to need replacing = rebuild $150,000 minimum.

Does this seem as stupid to you as it does to me??
    Last edited by homesmart; 30-04-2012, 01:53 PM.

No doubt part of the overreaction by Council on this matter.

Out of interest, if you get a place re-wired, does it need council approval? Or re-plumbed? Assuming it's being done after the wiring/plumbing has exceeded its expected lifespan.

Or re-roofed for that matter.

Comment

Interesting thought. I know that partial re wiring just requires a producer statement from the sparky same with the plumber. Do a google search on Schedule 1 - Exempt from building consent.

You have got me thinking though. About the roofing! cheers

Comment

Considering landlords can't depreciate buildings any more it seems outrageous!

$150,000/52/15 = $192 pw (excluding any interest) over the 15 years. Rents should be way higher!

Comment

Originally posted by homesmart View Post
          Lets run through this scenario: You built a house with monolithic cladding; its a singled level home with a concrete tile roof, you got a good builder and tradespeople and the council signed it off, you have been diligent with your maintenance. Your home has been checked and it does not have leaky building syndrome. The cladding has meets it minimum durability and you would like to change the cladding on its 17th birthday. After all it wasn’t designed to last as long as the rest of the house so was always going to need replacing = rebuild $150,000 minimum.

Does this seem as stupid to you as it does to me??
          So why would you want to replace the cladding if it isn't a problem? Have I missed something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
            So why would you want to replace the cladding if it isn't a problem? Have I missed something here?
            You wouldn't. But you will need to at some point because its life expectancy is much shorter than the majority of your home. Lets say it needs replacing at year 30. Are you happy that you have to basically rebuild your house which is in good condition rather than just replace the cladding. Difference could be as much as $125K.

Comment

I think there is somewhere where you have to redo seals every three years and repaint every five as well in between the reclads.

Factor that into your costs.

Cheap to build, expensive to maintain, apartments are just hidden time bombs (or were as most have or are re- cladding now), Often the body corp never puts away enough - which means people at the end of ownership are covering the fill costs - instead of having the costs pro-rata.
              Last edited by TheFlash; 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10628820 It's not if - it's when for our dripping time bombs

Comment

10 years and 1 day. What a charming man.

Comment

yes - that's the bit that stood out to me.

Comment

meanwhile

old villas with 100 year old weather boards put on by illiterates

don't need re-cladding....

no wonder the building industry is so stigmatized
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Thanks for this Post!!!

Originally posted by homesmart View Post
                        Even if you own a monolithic clad home that is on all accounts the same condition brick one down the road; it isn’t a leaky home, and your cladding met its minimum durability of a measly 15 years, you will still be forced to rebuild the majority of your home at some point much earlier than you should.

and so on = minimum $150,000. Even if your home is in perfect condition, is dry and its only 16 years old!!
                        Just like above; you cannot remove cladding and replace it even if it HAS met its minimum durability of 15 years and your home is proved to be leak free! Instead you have to gain council approval and everything needs to be up to the new building code just like above.
                        After all it wasn’t designed to last as long as the rest of the house so was always going to need replacing = rebuild $150,000 minimum...
                        After reading your post, I searched for the building code, and it confirmed your post here. Guest what, I just phone the agent and decide not to go unconditional with my current property purchase (18 years old monolithic cladding house). I really cannot afford another $150,000 on top of my mortgage. Thank you very much for sharing this knowledge, I am very grateful.

Comment

LOL As I see it any one who put monolythic cladding on a wood famed house deserves what they get. In Europe Monolithic cladding only goes over permanent material constructed houses. It is used for insulation not as weather proofing! The internal perminant material walls do the weather proofing work
                          The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Jee thats a bit harsh most home owners relied on advice of experts.

Comment

It may be harsh but the point I want to make is in NZ people adopt building technologies often in the cheapest and sometimes most inappropriate fashion. When councils and others approved the changes that allowed monolythic cladding and untreated timbers they were only responding to consumers who were demanding cheaper building costs.
                              The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X