Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recladding of a weatherside home

Hi all

I'm just doing a bit of research on weatherside homes, as I have come across a few during open home trips.

I know what a weatherside looks like already, but I just want to see if anyone has done a recladding before and most importantly:
    1) how much it costs,
    2) how long it takes,
    3) is building consent required

Cheers

i plastered one about 20 years ago

Comment

1) Allow approx $100m2 wall cladding weatherboard installed
      2) Allow few weeks to a month
      3) yes because you are altering the weatherproofness of the walls

Comment

Originally posted by superoman View Post
        1) Allow approx $100m2 wall cladding weatherboard installed
        2) Allow few weeks to a month
        3) yes because you are altering the weatherproofness of the walls
        Excellent thanks!

Comment

I have listed a property in South Auckland. It was built in the 80's and I have just found out that the cladding is weatherside. I had a potential purchaser come through the property last night and he tells me that the cladding is now deteriorating. He estimates that it will cost him $35,000-$40,000 to relcad the whole house. The total building area is 90m2. Has anyone else found themselves in a situation where they brought a property and had to reclad the whole thing? If so, how much did it cost you to do it and roughly how long does it take if you have someone do it for you?

Comment

35 to 40 sounds like a lot to me

Comment

Well when called this guy who runs his own Building Inspection Company and he said that the fact the house was made form weatherboard cladding and that it is now deteriorating these things alone would definitely devalue the house by at least $30,000. But as this is the first time I have ever encountered and heard of this sort of cladding I wanted to get a second opinion. Have you ever had reclad a whole house before, jimO? If so, how big was the house and when was it built? The more info I can about this stuff the better as I am dealing with an unrealistic vendor who is refusing to come down on her asking price. Even without this cladding issue the price that she wants is $40,000-$50,000 above it's current market value anyway.

Comment

the house was around the same size and cost around 2.5k to plaster 20 years ago, nowdays of course it will be dearer and may require a cavity depending on the lining you go with, if your buying you have the upper hand, get a quote from a builder and use that to negotiate the price down

Comment

Thanks for that, bud. Appreciate it!

Comment

Just a warning, saying the word 're-clad' to anyone these days seems to result in them running up phone numbers off the bat. You need a good understanding of exactly what's required and get them to quote for that and that alone.

I've got a weatherside house that has small section of vertical weatherboard that needed repair/replacing. The weatherside is in very good condition, only the weatherboard need a bit of work. Out of four builder, I had two refuse to quote, one quote $200k+ for a complete reclad and one just never returned any calls. Got someone to do it eventually under direction of a building engineer I work with, cost $2k and a few beers.

$35k doesn't sound that far off, a bit on the high side, but it depends on what access etc. is like. You may not need consent if you get the new cladding classed as a 'like for like' replacement. I would be interested in what kind of quotes you get back.

Comment

All I know is that the cladding around the whole entire house needs to be re-done. Rather than saying 're-clad' what wold you advise that Ii say? I don't really what get myself to sticky a situation if I haven't done that all ready!

Comment

As a builder and commercial project manager my advice would be get a builder round to have a look at the condition of the house over all. Its odd that a weather board house is in need of a total re clad of all of its weather boards unless its been very poorly maintained.
                        Timber weather boards are one of the safest forms of cladding around. Stay away from any advice on putting on Hardies weather boards. Youll be re cladding again in 15 years.

Have you had a painter in to have a look at the paint condition?

Comment

Originally posted by Swindog View Post
                          As a builder and commercial project manager my advice would be get a builder round to have a look at the condition of the house over all. Its odd that a weather board house is in need of a total re clad of all of its weather boards unless its been very poorly maintained.
                          Timber weather boards are one of the safest forms of cladding around. Stay away from any advice on putting on Hardies weather boards. Youll be re cladding again in 15 years.

Have you had a painter in to have a look at the paint condition?
                          have you never heard of weatherside??? must be a youngster

Comment

Now now.
                            It's an early form of fibre cement weather board. Prob with fibre cement
                            Is its a lot of maintenance. The new age stuff must be washed once every couple of months
                            and repainted every two years.
                            Much the same as the new stuff it de laminates easily if prolonged exposure to moisture occurs.
                            Most of yours might be ok on the non prevailing side or sides. If your going to re clad, do it in timber. Similar cost better life less maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Swindog View Post
                              Now now.
                              It's an early form of fibre cement weather board. Prob with fibre cement
                              Is its a lot of maintenance. The new age stuff must be washed once every couple of months
                              and repainted every two years.
                              Much the same as the new stuff it de laminates easily if prolonged exposure to moisture occurs.
                              Most of yours might be ok on the non prevailing side or sides. If your going to re clad, do it in timber. Similar cost better life less maintenance.
                              it was actually a type of hardboard

Comment

Working...
                              X