• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Thread: Buying a Home

Default Buying a Home

Being LL's and PI's how hard do you find it to buy a house to call your own home?

Me and my partner are looking to buy our first home. I've owned a rental for about 6-7 years now and have a family member who's a successful PM. Manages over 100 properties and owns a few as well and so when looking at houses I'm struggling to find a home. Of the 15 or so houses we have gone to view sofar 1 of them straight away screamed HOME, 1 has said home but could be a rental and the rest say to me they are good/great rentals but I can't ever see them being a home for me and my family.
    Does anyone else have this problem when they look for a house to buy for themselves to be a home? or am I just being too picky?
    I'm just a little curious as to how others feel when they look for a home.

Totally different experience - buying a rental is mainly about numbers; buying a home is more about emotions, schools, gardens, bathrooms, kitchens, .....
    DFTBA

If it is your first home, unless you have won Lotto or have wealthy and generous relatives you need to make compromises.

My first home was in Te Atatu North (now Te Atatu Peninsular) when it was so downmarket that many of the locals aspired to become upwardly mobile and move to Otara but couldn't afford it.
    I bought an abandoned house at a mortgagee sale. The section was so overgrown that the fellow I hired to cut down the growth found a car on the section that we had not spotted earlier.

Its a matter of getting your foot in the door without over-committing yourself. Many these days seem to say 'We cannot afford to buy in Herne Bay, Remuera or Epsom, that's unfair and we wouldn't live anywhere else'.

Find something a that meets your budget, meets a few of your requirements, and look upon it as a stepping stone to better things.

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    If it is your first home, unless you have won Lotto or have wealthy and generous relatives you need to make compromises.

My first home was in Te Atatu North (now Te Atatu Peninsular) when it was so downmarket that many of the locals aspired to become upwardly mobile and move to Otara but couldn't afford it.
    I bought an abandoned house at a mortgagee sale. The section was so overgrown that the fellow I hired to cut down the growth found a car on the section that we had not spotted earlier.

Its a matter of getting your foot in the door without over-committing yourself. Many these days seem to say 'We cannot afford to buy in Herne Bay, Remuera or Epsom, that's unfair and we wouldn't live anywhere else'.

Find something a that meets your budget, meets a few of your requirements, and look upon it as a stepping stone to better things.
    Thankfully I'm looking to buy in the Eastern (not fully east but still east) Suburbs of Christchurch so the houses aren't that expensive and sofar of the now 18 open homes we have been to we have only ever seen 2 of those with other prospective buyers and in total we have seen only 4 other potential buyers so were in a stronger position to buy as we can put an offer in and stick to it. I've gotten help from Family with Equity to get a mortgage and put an offer in on a great cottage of $280K (it's "valued" (by the REA) at $290k - $320k) and said it's our top offer and all we could afford. They came back with $295k. Were sticking to our top offer and they last came back with $285K. We still said no. So seems as were the only buyer who's put an offer in and we said were still looking were in a good position.
    The way I see it is they have 1 potential client (us) and we have dozens of potential clients (houses for sale) so we can afford to let this go. Since they are moving to England they don't exactly have that same advantage.

I lost count how many house I looked at you get disheartend everytime you turn up at one that has had pictures taken that make it look heaps bigger / sunnier etc. Its a buyers market keep looking the right one will come along.

I def recomend getting a building survey done (by a building surveyor as they are trained and there sole pupose is property performance and building defects)- put it as a condition in S and P as they can identify potential issues and save you heartache down the track you can find them here: http://www.buildingsurveyors.co.nz/panel/membersnear They can't identify everything without doing a desturctive investigation but it will give you a good heads up.

I don't feel that when coming to picking a HOME that you can be too picky. If it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right. If you're justifying why it doesn't then maybe there is an issue there. But your home should be a place you walk into, and it feels like home. You shouldn't need to quantify it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterfrontNZ View Post
    I don't feel that when coming to picking a HOME that you can be too picky. If it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right. If you're justifying why it doesn't then maybe there is an issue there. But your home should be a place you walk into, and it feels like home. You shouldn't need to quantify it.
    That's why we've walked away from some decent houses that were pretty cheap because when I walked in I didn't feel it was my home. We've found a nice house that we can really see as our home. Feeling daunted by the mortgage payments though. I've never not had money before :S but it's investing the money in a home and it'll pay off in the long run so not that bad.

Thread Information