Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a mains cylinder, why do plumbers add 2k to the cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a mains cylinder, why do plumbers add 2k to the cost?

I have a 180ltr low pressure cylinder. We will be moving this to mains pressure. I was quoted $3,200 inc gst for a mains cylinder. The wiring is there already, copper piping and drain is there already. The quote for the cyclinder is seperate from additional piping to allow for mains. This quote was just for cylinder. The cylinder in question I could buy myself and have delivered to my property for around $1200. I'm finding it hard to believe the markups here. Another plumber quoted $2,800 inc gst. Are they just blatantly trying to score a couple grand on these jobs hoping for consumer ignorance?

From memory a plumber mate of my brothers did ours a few years ago (upgrade of leaking cylinder) for about $850 and some beers

Comment

Originally posted by beakernz View Post
      I have a 180ltr low pressure cylinder. We will be moving this to mains pressure. I was quoted $3,200 inc gst for a mains cylinder. The wiring is there already, copper piping and drain is there already. The quote for the cyclinder is seperate from additional piping to allow for mains. This quote was just for cylinder. The cylinder in question I could buy myself and have delivered to my property for around $1200. I'm finding it hard to believe the markups here. Another plumber quoted $2,800 inc gst. Are they just blatantly trying to score a couple grand on these jobs hoping for consumer ignorance?
      buy it yourself and get a plumber to install it, remember down the track a bit its yours not his responsibility if there are problems

Comment

Would the cylinder not come with a guarentee if you purchase it else where?

Comment

Labour and dispersements?

Comment

We just looked at replacing our rentals gas hot water cylinder.

Best option was to change to instant gas.

We received on quote for $3200 + GST , but ended up getting a second quote for $2500 + GST from laser plumbing in Hamilton. He quoted on the Friday, we approved and he was starting on the Monday.

So if you are looking at spending that much, an instant gas option maybe better?

Ross
            Book a free chat here
            Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
              From memory a plumber mate of my brothers did ours a few years ago (upgrade of leaking cylinder) for about $850 and some beers
              Yeah did the same....a cylinder at trade price is like 800-1000 (depending on size) plus $150 for the sparkie to connect it at the end, took my mate about 3 hours or so including the visit to mastertrade....so you can see the mark up they are putting on ya,

Comment

plumbers eh!! bigger rippoff merchants than landlords

Comment

We were quote just under 5k !
                  Wellington prices ?

Comment

There's nearly $500 in valves as I remember. Also, your piping may need upgrading as well as new piping around the cylinder. Get the quote broken down. It took my plumber nearly a day to do the job and that's with easy access.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                      plumbers eh!! bigger rippoff merchants than landlords
                      Second only to builders eh?

www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

I've replaced a few and never paid more than about $300 for installation.
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

An upgrade from a low pressure to mains pressure requires to change more than just the cylinder. If you have shower mixers and bench mixers that may no longer be compatable so also may require replacement. The ajax valve is no longer required , but a pressure relief valve needs to be installed along with a non return valve. I'm an electrician, not a plumber, but did do my first house 20 years ago so there is a bit of work and a bit more gear required than just the cylinder. Also make sure your plumber as the appropriate electrical service person licence that allows him to legally wire the replacement cylinder.

Comment

We also got quotes for around $2,500 - property manager is now managing it with his normal tradies for $1,400
                            DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                              We also got quotes for around $2,500 - property manager is now managing it with his normal tradies for $1,400
                              Come back to us with the bill.

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                              X