• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Is it acceptable to take photos during pre-purchase property inspection?

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and am trying to learn as much as I can from you all.

One quick question for you:

Do you take photos during your pre-purchase property inspection?
    Is it a generally accepted practice? or is it frowned upon?
    Is such practice legal?

Such practice has been recommended by Joy Thomson (author of the book "How does the ordinary Kiwi really profit from property..."), particularly to prevent vendor later swapping chattels with cheaper versions.

While such practice makes sense, I would like to make sure that it is acceptable before I incorporate it as a habit.

Thank you sharing your thoughts.

What a dismal reflection on society if it comes to that.

I'd politely ask if they minded but would expect a "sure no problem" reply. If they are decent then they'd have no problem. Anything else and I'd be suspect as to their intentions.

You could certainly ask and in all situations I would imagine it would be ok. I have heard directly of people having chattels switched, the question that vendors who do partake in this practice rely on is the cost of chasing them down the track.

The one I have experienced directly is damage, very minor and very hard to detect as a result of "sore loser" vendors. I've had keys broken into locks and keys "lost". Luckily we were able to stop settlement just prior and force them rectified.

The liberal left is right however, it is a very poor reflection on society, and if they did have problems, I would be very suspect as to their intentions, i.e. make sure everything works, and make notes. Again however it boils down to getting the cash out of them post settlement.

Isnt there a provision in the S and P that you can inspect on the day of settlement, prior to transfer of funds? Pretty sure this was in mine.

It's perfectly legal in a public place, assuming a legit non-dodgy purpose. On private property, I think it would be difficult if not impossible to argue that the owner had an expectation of privacy where you are in their property specifically conducting a pre-settlement inspection.

Don't muddy the waters, when on private property, by including a person in a photo, which might give rise to an argument that you have collected "personal information" about the person without their consent.

TLL and Steven have covered it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccachic View Post
    Isnt there a provision in the S and P that you can inspect on the day of settlement, prior to transfer of funds? Pretty sure this was in mine.
    Unless the property is rented.

If the place is empty I'll ask the agent and click away, if it's tenanted I take extra time and write notes if I feel I need to.

A good one (if you dont like getting dirty) is taking a shot through the underfloor access and the flash can light up all sorts of nasties the naked eye might miss. Same goes for the roof cavity.

If you go through the house w an Agent, ask them to take photos of each room for you esp of curtains and chattels that are remaining behind.

When you make your offer, ask the Agent to forward those photos to you for your files.

On settlement, you are entitled to view the property before monies/titles are exchanged. This could be the day prior or the day of the settlement. If you find things don't equate to the viewing and photos taken, discuss this with your lawyer. He/she may suggest holding back monies until it is rectified or returned (ie in case of curtains being "replaced" with inferior ones).

You can also hold back $'s for things like broken windows, broken locks etc etc IF they weren't like that when you viewed the property.

Talk to your lawyer prior to making an offer, when you're coming up to settlement and just (day of) prior to settlement. Make sure you know what your rights are as a purchaser.
    Patience is a virtue.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

Thread Information