Why I hate Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I hate Phoenix

I am an Australian woman who bought a few investment properties in the USA- Phoenix, Orlando and Las Vegas.
    I bought a 3 bedroom modern house in Phoenix AZ for $55,000.
    I employed a tradesman to do a few general repairs on the house.
    He then recommended I buy 3 foreclosure properties in the same area in Phoenix.
    He said he could do all the repairs for $12,000 and they would rent for $1200-$1400 each.
    I bought the properties for about $122,000 and paid him an initial sum of $6000 to purchase material.

Over the course of several months I continuously relented to his requests for more money as he claimed the repairs were more serious than first imagined.
    He told me that the properties had been broken into and had various house parts stolen and damaged.
    I paid close to $20,000 altogether and made continual requests for receipts, invoices, proof of purchases and photos of work completed but he never provided any of these.

He then asked me if he could act as a property manager for the property 1st property I had bought, after there was a change of tenants.
    I agreed to pay him a monthly fee of $75 to look after all the maintenance issues with the property and make sure the tenant was happy.
    He was also paid $900 to tidy up the property before the new tenants moved in.
    ahead and signed a lease between himself and the tenant in my property.
    Then I had a friend from Nevada who was visiting Phoenix personally inspect the properties to discover that basically no work had been done whatsoever.

The tenant at ended up moving out because all the maintenance issues the tradesman was supposed to fix were causing problems. For example I bought a brand new AC unit for the house which he was supposed to install but evidently didn’t have a clue what he was doing so he hooked it up and it cools but doesn’t heat.

The tradesman does have a registered business and owns a big house and has assets.
    I guess he was counting on the fact that I live in Australia and am far away.
    I did contact a few lawyers in Phoenix who said they would charge around between $5000-$8000 to pursue the matter. For that amount it doesn't even seem worthwhile as it could potentially be more money down the drain.

I have considered taking a 'holiday' to AZ to pursue the matter in court myself. I work from a computer so there would be no loss of income by having to travel abroad. Any advise about what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by muppet; 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM. Reason: readability

So you don't hate Phoenix, you hate the fact you have been ripped off by a dishonest American. I will PM you, I can help with this.

Comment

I employed a tradesman to do a few general repairs on the house.
      He then recommended I buy 3 foreclosure properties in the same area in Phoenix.
      Im sorry but the writing was on the wall, why did you listen to his advice? while you are on the other side of the world..?
      who is he to advice you to buy more properties and do them up.... it is an obvious trap.
      New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
      FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
      CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

i have a harbour bridge for sale if your interested

Comment

Hi invouge...........I have a very nice bridge here in NZ for sale......near mint condition.....pm me for details

Also you might be interested in deal I have going with a nice chap in Nigeria, he just needs some help transferring money out of Nigeria...pm me for details

Not only but also....I have a great opportunity for a home based business....don't tell anybody, but penny auctions are the wave of the future....pm me for details

Cheers
          Spaceman....edit .....doh!!!! jimO beat me to the punch

Comment

To those people who implied I was naive and stupid I must agree I displayed a degree of this.
            I felt I did do due diligence by checking the tradesman had a registered address with the BBB and verifying his home address. I also did a reference check with a real estate agent he was employed by.
            Also I spoke to the tradesman at great lengths on the phone. We had regular 30 minute telephone conversations. He sounded like a person with good morals and told me 'he came from Utah where all the folks are honest'.
            I'm 25 now but I was 23 or 24 when I first started employing him and I have been known to be way too trusting of others and gullible. On the positive side it was a good experience to become more wary and smarten up.
            I have also spoken to other people he has ripped off. I spoke to a young man who has a wife and baby to support and this tradesman employed him to run around doing all his jobs for him for some 2 months and never paid him a cent. Like me the man trusted him but finally just refused to keep working when he didn't get paid anything. I fully believe the tradesman is going through life ripping people off at any opportunity where he can see he will profit without being caught. The last few times I tried to contact him his phone just rang out and I assume he had to get a new phone number with all the people who would have been chasing him.

Comment

invogue, this can happen to anyone.

You got caught out, but you've learned your lesson. Carry on now. Don't give up.

By the way if it were me, I'd post anywhere and everywhere I could online with the guy's name, modus of operandi etc. Might save some others from the same fate.
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I am happy to try and fix this with you invogue, check your private messages :-). I am in Phoenix next week.

Comment

Thats awesome!!

Comment

It's unfortunate the horrible experience you encountered! This is one of the hard lessons we learn when investing in real estate. When we are buying property, sometime we often get caught up with the product and forget to ask an even more important question that is "Who Am I Dealing With"? Lets not forget that price is what you pay, value is what you get. To protect myself when buying properties long distance, Here are some of the questions I ask: How many investment properties do you personally own? How many investment properties have you or your company purchased, rehab & sold this year? Who will I contact if there are problems with the my investment? How did you determine the property analysis? Can you verify your numbers and what actions do you take if the numbers are wrong? Do you have any referrals I can contact today if necessary?

Comment

Hi Invogue.

Welcome to PropertyTalk and thanks for sharing your experience. It is very much appreciated and as you say you are young yet you're getting stuck in with investing in property. Yep not everyone is honest - a valuable lesson has been learned. However you're not necessarily alone - Dissindat may be able to help you.

Keep us posted -

.....a lot more effort has to go into the due diligence part of property investing when you are purchasing abroad and relying of locals to support you. A good property management co. is a must - I have found - its way to risky trying to do it all without a team on the ground working on your behalf.

Cheers,

Donna
                      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

PM me. I can also help and put you on to the right team to get it sorted. i.e. fix up and rented proper etc.
                        These guys blew me away with their speed and workmanship when doing our reno's in Phoenix.

To everyone on this thread, if you're investing foreign, go there, look your self, form your team.
                        As for Phoenix, the market has turned from the bottom for sure. Stick with tile roofed 3/2's near good schools and you'll be on a winner.(100 - 150k range)
                        The foreclosures are getting being bid well up so you need to be on the ball if flipping.

Stay away from the older cheaper areas.

Enjoy the summer heat if you can bear it !

Hec

Comment

I would like to know his business name, so I could avoid his guy in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X