Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences with wild student flats in residential area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences with wild student flats in residential area?

We're in a fairly central residential spot in Dunedin. Our home and the 7 to the left are family homes. Direct to the right 2 derelict student flats, then 4 more family homes. It's our first weekend here and these students are loud and wild as if they are possessed. They can't stop blasting music and shrieking uncontrollably, just raising all kinds of hell. I had a good time in uni myself but never acted like this, this kind of behavior is highly ridiculous even for drunken louts. Now, I've never been in this situation before so am looking for info on your own experiences with this. Are the council really useful or is noise control a lost cause? If I go the noise control route will I myself be targeted by these idiots if they think I've phoned them in. The council site says to have a word with them, but they seem to be completely retarded so not sure if that's even worth the time. I have considering finding out the owner of the flat, and contacting him every time they disturb me like this and be a thorn in his side. Open to any and all suggestions.

Try noise control.
    If it's as loud as you say then noise control should do something about it.
    Also ask the police to send a car around. The students may be silly enough to harass the police...

Comment

Don't forget you can ring noise control during the day as well as at night. Anytime the noise is demonic, really.

You could contact the flat's owner and ask them to have a word with the louts. But if the place is derelict, your chances of the landlord caring may not be good.

They may settle down in a few weeks when study kicks in.

Comment

Originally posted by One View Post
        D

They may settle down in a few weeks when study kicks in.
        I'm hoping that's the case and this is mostly a weekend thing. At least one plus is that they drink so aggressively they can't make it much past 1:00am. By 1:30am things were pretty quiet and they were all passed out I guess. When I was in uni 17yrs ago we did not drink to get falling down obliterated. We drank to have a good time and socialize, which often went to 5am. What I witnessed last night was pretty much pointless imo. The only social component was to see which one of them could pound the most booze and get the most f-d up.

Comment

Make sure you mow the lawn on their side early in the morning to wake them up.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about taking up woodworking in my garage which borders their flat. Do all my table sawing at 6am

Well, Sunday night was completely different. The entire night you could hear a pin drop outside it was so quiet. So maybe this partying is just a weekend flareup which I can mostly live with (I'm usually up to 1am on weekends anyway). But still if it gets as crazy this weekend as last I'll have noise control on speed dial.

Comment

You could well find its Thurs-Sat and the occassional Wednesday. Is it still orientation week? Thats normally the worse time, they settle down a bit once they get the initial freedom out of their system and when Uni classes actually start.

Comment

Working...
              X