No announcement yet.

Nieighbouring tenant throws a wobbly in front of prospective tenant applicants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nieighbouring tenant throws a wobbly in front of prospective tenant applicants

We have a bungalow in 2 flats in Mt Albert.
    We forgot to notify the existing tenant that we were coming to show the other side.
    So we definitely made a procedural mistake,but the emotional outburst in front of the prospective tenants was shocking and caught us completely off guard.
    In the end we lost our 1st choice of tenants for the vacant side.
    We knew she had some problems with physical illness but we are quite concerned about having someone like that in one of our flats[shared bungalow with new tenants]
    Just wondering if we have any options other than 3 month notice,and if that's the case,does anyone have any tips on how to help with a smooth transition.

Input appreciated
    Last edited by muppet; 14-02-2012, 05:08 PM.

Increase her rent. (Market rents have jumped, so have your costs)
    Point out to her that her obstructing the placement of new tenants is likely to get her at the tenancy tribunal.
    I was going to say obstruction would get her evicted, but lessons from others say never give a reason for the 3 months notice.

Reminding her that in the present market there are Not lots of places available should the TT decide that she is not a suitable tenant to be in a shared house situation.
    I'm guessing she wants the place to herself, so offer it to her at the going rent for both places.

Sounds like she is not the type to think rationally & will go bananas whatever you do, (except of course if she gets the place to herself)
    Last edited by Keithw; 13-02-2012, 10:59 AM.
    Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Why would you need to notify a neighbouring tenant?
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
        Why would you need to notify a neighbouring tenant?
        My thoughts exactly

Comment

I think it's unreasonable to expect to be notified of a viewing next door. I say put the rent up too.

Comment

what would you need to do in an apartment building with shared facilities?

give prior notice to all 400? tenants that someone was coming to look at a room

would that work both ways

would friends be unable to drop by for a beer

if either tenant didn't receive notice in a joined pair of flats?

of course not
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

When you are the landlord you have to exert your authority.
              It is nice to be loved and some people do not like being hated.
              Is it any difference to being the boss.
              Your tenant clearly does not consider you as a person nor does she think her rights are less than your need for a new tenant.
              Do stuff that shows you have no soft feelings and that she has a purpose in life.
              That being to pay her rent so you can live.
              When her actions cause you to not be able to collect your money you have take some action.
              I often live in hope I can change some people.
              After you give up on that desire there is only one thing left to do.
              Terminate.
              Failure to do it now will only show her that you can be manipulated.
              Next time the tantrums will be even worse.
              Last edited by Glenn; 13-02-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Thanx for the input.
                Your replies pretty much sum up my take on this situation.
                We have given her a notice of termination.
                Her reply was an apology[of sorts]
                We didnt mention any specific reasons on the notice other than we had plans for her side of the house.
                I do,however think she should know that her actions caused a potential tenant not to accept the adjoining flat.
                Ive also heard that its not good to state reasons for notice of termination and im wondering how to tell her this without tainting the original notice ,keeping in mind we did say we had other plans for the flat,which i assume would be an ''out''.
                Before this she has always paid rent on time for the several years shes been there,and hasnt made many requests.
                Ironically,we have just done a rent increase that is just going into effect.[she had no qualms about this][probibly still slightly under rented[$280 1bdrm mt albert shared bungalow-full section- tidy]

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
                  I do,however think she should know that her actions caused a potential tenant not to accept the adjoining flat.
                  Ive also heard that its not good to state reasons for notice of termination and im wondering how to tell her this without tainting the original notice
                  There is nothing to be gained by vocalising your frustrations on her - if anything it will make her dig her heels in. She probably has an inkling that her outburst and your 90-day letter are connected anyway. Focus on getting the vacant flat filled.
                  Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by revdev View Post
                    There is nothing to be gained by vocalising your frustrations on her - if anything it will make her dig her heels in. She probably has an inkling that her outburst and your 90-day letter are connected anyway. Focus on getting the vacant flat filled.
                    cant really do much about that at this stage unless she finds another flat and gives a 21 day notice-90 notice up mid may.I dont think its really to anyones advantage to view the flat now.

Just thought she should know the results of her actions. thanx for the input

Comment

She has now sent an Email saying that we not only have to give notice by Email for a visit [even to the other flat]but must not come till she sends the ok by Email.

Comment

I feel for you. I was going to say that she can't demand this but is it possible that showing the flat next door breaches her right to quiet enjoyment? I doubt it. Good call on the 90 day notice, at least now you can tell prospective tenants that the batty woman in the front will be gone soon.

Comment

Do the 90 day notice thing and get rid of her.

Two points with that:
                          - take great care to fully understand the days specified in the Act in order for the tenant be deemed to have received the notice.
                          - no matter what happens, do not give any reason for issuing the notice no matter what. Just stick to the fact that you want her gone in 90 days.

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
                            She has now sent an Email saying that we not only have to give notice by Email for a visit [even to the other flat]but must not come till she sends the ok by Email.
                            Don't youbjust love the tenants that push their luck? Copy the tenants responibilities in your reply and add that you are making application to tt as you believe she is being unreasonable. Spell to her you will also apply for exemplary damages unless she starts being reasonable. Good luck.

Comment

Our 90 notice simply said that for some time we have had plans for her side of the house[flat b]and we have decided that now is a good time to carry out those plans so 90days notice etc etc,.
                              Hopefully thats not to much of a reason.
                              Also--If we have the right to enter the property[excluding her flat] and the other adjoining flat does anyone know where it says that in the tenancy act? [Believe me Ive tried looking]

Comment

Working...
                              X