• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks everyone for the advice and the cautions. I have a proper IDC tool that cuts the wire off at the end. I have an old BT telephone jack with 6 terminals, with # 2 and #5 seemingly the important telephone terminals and #3 being the phone ring. Currently there are 2 wires per terminal in slots #2, 5, 3 (& the remaining 3 terminals are empty). I can see why this isn't the most stable as the second wire inserted is not quite as solidly connected. I'm not sure which of the other terminals would be the bridge terminals for slots 2 & 5. So, I either have to attempt to put 2 wires into each slot or figure out which are the bridge terminals in order to put 1 wire per slot.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTasha View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and the cautions. I have a proper IDC tool that cuts the wire off at the end. I have an old BT telephone jack with 6 terminals, with # 2 and #5 seemingly the important telephone terminals and #3 being the phone ring. Currently there are 2 wires per terminal in slots #2, 5, 3 (& the remaining 3 terminals are empty). I can see why this isn't the most stable as the second wire inserted is not quite as solidly connected. I'm not sure which of the other terminals would be the bridge terminals for slots 2 & 5. So, I either have to attempt to put 2 wires into each slot or figure out which are the bridge terminals in order to put 1 wire per slot.
    The old 'master/slave' type jacks don't have any spares - pin 1 of the connecter goes to terminal 1, 2 to 2 etc. They were made to better connect 2 wires per slot so long as both wires are the same size. There were a few issues (not always 100% reliable) which is one of the reasons for the new '2 wire' sockets having 2 groups of 3 terminals to enable bridging.

I should add to make it clear - they were made to have 2 wires as a installation generally 'daisy chain' with the main line coming into the 'master' jack (the one with the capacitor) and then a sub circuit feeding off to the 'slave' socket for an extension phone. The main circuit is 2 wire from the street and the master socket splits out the 'bell' line (what the capacitor does) to feed 3 wire to the slaves (all daisy chained together).

In our internet/ADSL world it was found that the 3 wire bell system unbalanced the line and that ADSL works better if 2 wire (and let each phone pull out it's own bell) so many houses have been converted. You should only be able to buy the 2 wire sockets these days (or at least the 3 wire are hard to come by).

Thanks Wayne, I understand things better now. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Thread Information