• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Nope, but they should.

it was banks

trying to "care"

helping those who spend more they earn

to buy houses they couldn't afford

that created the biggest destruction of wealth

EVER

banks have their place

and that is offering loans to proven savers

no selling financial heroin to debt junkies

you can't legislate the poor to wealth

you can only educate them in the current skills they need to earn

but if you've removed the need to earn to survive

you can't be surprised

if many can't be bothered

welfare is the new "cargo cult"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

it's historically naive believers

think if they can whinge enough at the altar of complaint

the gov in heaven will continue to distribute their manna

1972 and the uk joining the eec is what killed savage's cradle-grave welfare state

not roger douglas

he only shot the zombie economy

that resulted from 15 years of gov trying to borrow our way out of that hole

if we could move our beneficiaries

onto crafars farms

get them producing more than just maladjusted children

it would be worth the gov. taxing the workers more to buy the farms

but it won't happen

as they feel no need to move

and no need to work

therefore the most productive use of the land

is in the hands of foreign owners, avoiding unions and handouts

to employ nz'ers not afraid to work the land for more than growing dope

rant over
    Last edited by eri; 22-01-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    it was banks trying to "care"
    helping those who spend more they earn
    to buy houses they couldn't afford
    that created the biggest destruction of wealth
    EVER
    WHATEVER

. . . then is 'wealth?' Some inflated numbers on
    a piece of paper? A large loan? Lots of 'toys?'

No wealth was destroyed. Just some over-inflated
    numbers adjusted on said pieces of paper. It
    was only an enticing mirage drawing many all the
    more further into the desert.

In that way, it's like Labour's self-destruct CGT.
    There was no gain. Just a change in numbers.
    They wanted to tax inflated numbers and be paid
    in real money.

May the electorate never throw them a life raft.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

The actions and beliefs of some tenants still retain the ability to astound me. Last year I had a tenant who was frequently on the phone to indulge in low-level grizzling about the lawnmowing at the property she rented from me. After several of these calls I went around to the house to find out exactly what the problem was.

It turned out that she firmly believed that mowing the lawn should kill the daisies. When the daisies popped up again each time she blamed the lawnmowing contractor. I don’t think she really believed me when I pointed out that beheading the daisies did not actually kill them and that they would always grow again. We parted ways soon after this meeting.

Just before Christmas I called in at my Avondale house and was rather astonished to find a fully functioning wasp’s nest about the size of a saucer established in the porch leading to the front door. The wasps were leading a highly active life in their newly established home and I beat a hasty retreat. Many years ago I was badly stung three times in as many months, on the third occasion needing a hospital visit to alleviate the swelling. As I was not keen to repeat this experience, I got Jan the handywoman to check them out. She reported that they were obviously of a particularly aggressive breed, and as she was about to depart on her world cruise perhaps we could forget about them until the New Year. With luck they might have moved on to a better home by then.

As the tenants had never contacted me about this infestation, I readily agreed to this proposition and went away.

After four weeks learning a lot about rain and shopping in Havelock North, Alpaca farming in Masterton, and more than you’d ever want to know about hot-air ballooning in Carterton I have returned to find that the wasps are not only still in residence but have increased the size of their nest to dinner-plate proportions. My tenants there are from Malaysia, and when I contacted them about this swarm they seemed rather surprised at my concern. I suppose that when you have lived in a tropical country with a considerable number of predatory native life forms that slither, sting and eat you, a few wasps are of little concern. Resisting my suggestion that I bring in a professional de-bug operator they have assured me that they will remove the colony themselves this week if not sooner. We shall see.

Down south at Manurewa, the latest purchase is now in my hands. The settlement did not go smoothly, with the departing tenant leaving a lot of debris and clutter, both inside and outside the house. Terse words with the vendor’s Property Management Company resulted in cleaners and carpet cleaners arriving to polish things up, the cost to be deducted from their tenants bond.

The following day we removed the vinyl from the floors in the bathroom, toilet and laundry to let the subfloor dry out – fortunately no structural rot appears on these floors. The glass in a broken window has been replaced, the weeds in the garden sprayed and a lot of sticky transfers scraped off the bedroom doors.

I have now toured around the property with Jan and listed the work to be done. The wallpaper in the dining area and lounge has been damaged, so she’ll remove that and we’ll paint the walls and ceilings right through. The ceilings are those 1970s acoustic tiles. Although they still appear sound, some of them seem to have dropped a little so we’ll need to get up into the ceiling cavity and find out how to fasten them back up.

There is some work for the electrician repairing the expelair and a couple of cracked light switches, a privet to be cut down outside and one post in the front fence to be straightened up and concreted back in. The rest of the work looks to be cosmetic. I feel the property will polish up well and be attractive.

I’ve been budgeting on a rent of $360 a week for this one, but by the look of the house and the current market I think we could now be able to get a bit more than that.

Before settlement I called in at my local AMI Insurance office to arrange cover. The young lady who interviewed me was obviously a recent immigrant, and could not seem to grasp that I wanted to insure a house just like the one I already own next door and already have insured with them. She seemed to be fixated on it being a 400 sq.m house on an 80 sq.m section, and insisted that I needed to produce a valuation of the building plus recent photographs before they would even consider insuring it. I smiled politely and walked away. The next day I rang their 0800 number and arranged cover over the phone in five minutes with no hassles. I wonder where insurance companies find some of their people?

400 sq.m house on an 80 sq.m section
    ?? 5 levels?
    Squadly dinky do!

Don't be silly, Davo. You're only allowed 30% coverage of the site, so that's 24m2 of land, or 17 levels. The 17th would be smaller than the other 16, so that's something I suppose.

regarding wasp nest--you can get powder from garden center -wait till nightime and put it on the entrance[i wore overalls gloves and a hat with old mosquito net over it and tucked into overalls collar---They were gone the next day.

Re wasp's nest- had tenant ring me they had a very small wasp's nest on the outside boundary wall. Advised them to wait until evening (when all wasps have returned to nest) and spray well with fly spray. (Works well on very small nests). Oh no, said tenant. We don't use fly spray. Just buy a can from the supermarket was my suggestion. Oh no, said tenant. We don't believe in using fly spray. You buy some fly spray and come up here and spray it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Re wasp's nest- had tenant ring me they had a very small wasp's nest on the outside boundary wall. Advised them to wait until evening (when all wasps have returned to nest) and spray well with fly spray. (Works well on very small nests). Oh no, said tenant. We don't use fly spray. Just buy a can from the supermarket was my suggestion. Oh no, said tenant. We don't believe in using fly spray. You buy some fly spray and come up here and spray it for us.
    I find the best way to deal with wasp nests is with the sole of my boot. Knock it off... stamp on it and run like hell.

for the yellow and black wasps that live in a hole in the ground

once you've worked out where the fist sized entry hole is

i've heard waiting for dark and then inverting a 750ml beer bottle filled will diesel

into the hole will both block it and fumigate the nest
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Thread Information