This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    Of course if the new neighbours had brought the place Sandra would have no recourse what so ever.
    It possibly does happen, but how likely is such an hypothesis?

I.e. How many people who behave like that will be home-owners?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
      Yes, of course.
      Or more accurately, the landlord should be able to control his house.
      What is wrong with that?
      But in this case it isn't about controlling the house or what people do TO it - it is about controlling what the people do IN it.
      There seems to be the idea that because the people are renting they should behave differently to how others can behave.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
        You can smash bash and crash your own car.

Try that with a rental car and Mr Hertz and/or Mr Avis will be most unhappy.
        You can play music as loud as you want in your own car - and in a rental.
        You can piss people off with discourteus driving in both (nothing illegal).
        Noone was talking about smashing and crashing - damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
          It possibly does happen, but how likely is such an hypothesis?

I.e. How many people who behave like that will be home-owners?
          Lots actually. Not all bad neighbours are renters.
          The idea that it is only renters who do such things shows a poor mindset, or maybe some people need to get out more.

Comment

• In the UK the LL can face charges (fines and/or arrest) for tenants who carry out antisocial and/or illegal activities from their properties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Learning View Post
              In the UK the LL can face charges (fines and/or arrest) for tenants who carry out antisocial and/or illegal activities from their properties.
              Correct me if I'm wrong but we aren't living in the UK - so who cares?

Why do people try to sidetrack things? Flyer talks about damage, you talk about the UK??

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong but we aren't living in the UK - so who cares?
                Maybe it's a concept we should introduce here? Honest hardworking and socially considerate families are forced to live in hotel rooms or on the street, while uncaring antisocial hooligans get given state housing because they joined the benefit queue earlier. Or criminals pay higher rents with their illegal activities than an honest worker cant quite afford.

A LL is more likely to select socially responsible tenants over those who can pay more, if the tenants activities can bring the boys and girls in blue to their own front door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Learning View Post
                  Maybe it's a concept we should introduce here? Honest hardworking and socially considerate families are forced to live in hotel rooms or on the street, while uncaring antisocial hooligans get given state housing because they joined the benefit queue earlier. Or criminals pay higher rents with their illegal activities than an honest worker cant quite afford.

A LL is more likely to select socially responsible tenants over those who can pay more, if the tenants activities can bring the boys and girls in blue to their own front door.
                  Maybe - maybe not.
                  Nice generalisations.

Comment

• National's social services discussion doc and associated survey is available on their website. It is very long, but today I managed to grit my teeth and get through it.

There is a section on anti social state tenants and how they should be handled. Some questions including these ones invite comments and suggestions. I thought the questions and supporting info were thoughtful and serious.

There re posters on this site with experience and no doubt ideas. Have your say. Answering questions is not mandatory so can skip any with no interest or opinion. A couple have got the internet on fire (gangs and no jab no pay).

FWIW my suggestion was a trial to take the Housing First / overseas model and set up a separate basic housing area where antisocial state tenants can be mandatorily rehoused, with support to rebuild their rep and move back into normal state housing. Or not. A working group would be good - only needs one member - Glenn from Nelson!

Comment

• Can you please post a link to that, Artemis?

Comment

• National will get our country back on track.

have you defeated them?
                        your demons

Comment

• You what?

Thanks. I got to page one.

Trick question for y'all.

In plain language, what the hell does that mean?

Comment

• instead of a gov. department that goes on forever, regardless of performance

am guessing that the nats want to increasingly fund non-gov groups to do carefully targeted programs

like charter schools

remember how the "ministry of works" was dissolved and now private contractors bid for gov. work

the bbc have done something similar

no longer do they have huge numbers of people putting out work but rather individual producers sell ideas for programs to head office

if they win the bid, they gather a small team of journalists, sound engineers etc and go make the program

if it does well and hit its targets the producer easily gets more work and get generally goes back to the same team that worked last time
                            Last edited by eri; 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM.
                            have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

• Originally posted by eri View Post
                              am guessing
                              Pity that they word is such that you have to guess what they mean.
                              I want through a dozen or so questions and gave up as they are so vague and you could be agreeing or disagreeing to anything.

Comment

• Why do we have to guess??

And is that not the nub of it all?

<> So out of touch they can't speak plainly.

or

<> Speak gobbledegook so it's meaningless and they can't be held to it.

Neither option gives any optimism.

Comment

Working...
                                X