• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 77 of 105 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast

You mean, cruel, heartless b*****d.
    With all the Draconian new laws for residential rental LLs, perhaps AirBnB would be better? To avoid any hassle in Hawke's Bay, consult Be My Hostess. Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

I was going to say that Perry

But it's just so hard when the person you're dealing with is basically a bit mental. You can't reason with them.

A family member had a tenant like this recently, on a farm actually. She'd filled 2-3 sheds with stuff. She was a total hoarder and just couldn't get her head around the fact that she had to leave and take all her crap with her.

She was actually given a year rent free on the basis that she left by a certain date. My family member is clearly a lot softer than I. That was last November. Took until mid march to get her physically removed. So she took the year's rent free, then argued and ground another 3-4 months out of the landlord. Lying about when and how she was moving the whole time.

Not even her family would take her, as she's burned up any good will she may have had with them.

Oh and of course, she left the sheds full of rubbish behind too. So large lawyers bills and rubbish removal bills to pay.

It was handled badly by my family member of course, but they are someone who thinks if they act reasonably, the other party will too, and sometimes they don't.
    Squadly dinky do!

What he said

Everyone expects each party to be "reasonable"

But as we've grown a society when greedy, lazy, unreasonable people have been able to thrive + prosper {the full range from hopeless hoarders to trump}

We now need years to grind them out over their screams of unfairness + persecution over being held, often for the first time in their lives, to a reasonable outcome for all

Very hard to manage 6 residential property and 1 commercial property by myself. Still have a full time job and two business to run.

Early in June, on a Sunday, I had arranged to call at one of my rentals for the tenants to complete some paperwork. Quite unusually for Auckland, although it was now early afternoon the morning fog had not cleared. So it was quite definitely chilly and the air was very damp.

The tenants were home, sitting inside the house bundled up in jackets and blankets. Visible moisture was running down inside the windows pooling on the windowsills that had recently been painted. All in all, a picture of misery and discomfort.

Now this was at a house where just 18 months ago I had paid out quite a substantial sum to have new ceiling and underfloor insulation installed up to current standards and also had a heat pump installed. I am talking a multiples of thousands of dollars invested here, and now there were my tenants squatting and shivering.

This should not be. According to Dr Roger Tuck and Prof Howden-Chapman all I had to do was to put my hand deep into my wallet to pay for all this work to be done and my tenants would then, for all time, be living the life of Riley in a cosy warm house, their children happy and healthy and no longer being a burden on the public health system and the taxpayers pocket. I am told that this must be true, as Phil Twyford agrees with them.

So why has this utopian dream failed so dismally? When in doubt, ask the tenants, so I did. “Oh, we can’t afford to run the heatpump, it costs too much” they replied. So there you have it. Contrary to the often stated and firmly held myth, when you insulate a cold house you then actually have a cold insulated house. Think of a Thermos flask, it will keep cold drinks cold just as efficiently as it will keep hot drinks hot. To retain the heat inside the insulation you first of all must create it. No heat supplied means no heat retained.

Therefore what am I, the Landlord, meant to do about this? I am supposed to supply my tenants with a warm dry home. Do I then camp out in their living room with my packet of sandwiches and a water bottle so that I can make them turn the heat pump on and stop them turning it off? Do I lockwire the off switch and hide the remote? Am I truly my brothers keeper?

One of the greatest failures of Rogernomics was the dismantling and privatisation of the New Zealand electricity distribution system. What was supposed to create a competitive and low-cost market according Max Bradford has, instead, seen the retail price of electricity skyrocket. Each of the energy companies must charge enough to fund their own executive MBA packages, their own golden parachutes and their own prestigious head office in the most up-market part of town. Then of course, by producing substantial profits they pass a significant part of those profits back to the Government coffers by way of tax. Behind it all the Government itself still owns most of the actual generation infrastructure.

We now have a system where electricity costs form a substantial part of a low-income family’s household budget. Old age pensioners spend the winter huddling over a one-bar heater or go to bed at half past six to try and keep warm without spending a king’s ransom. Who benefits from all of this? The usual suspects, I suppose – consultants, accountants, merchant bankers and others of that ilk. Not your average kiwi family to be sure.

One of the pillars of the economic reforms of the 80s was the drive to remove all discounts, subsidies and special allowances from the market. No longer would pensioners, the unemployed and the sick qualify for special pricing on their phone, their public transport or their power. Everyone would pay the same rate and all incomes and benefits would be adjusted to allow this. That may have been the case at the time, but I am certain over the following years the prices of those services have been ramped up at a much greater rate than the related incomes of those at the lower end of the economic ladder.

Running counter to this argument is the idea that those who qualify should be issued with some sort of electricity payment vouchers. Last year I attended a Social Housing Workshop where this idea was floated. Normally, I am against such selective welfare but I struggle to see any other available options. Simply upping benefit payments would most likely not do the trick, as this extra money would probably not flow through to the intended result. Given the propensity of this Government – or any future Government – to jealously protect its tax base I do not see much prospect of a market-wide lowering of power prices, which would seem to be the only supply-side option.

In the meantime, my tenants (and very likely many others) sit and shiver inside their well-insulated but unheated home harbouring their sniffs and coughs and adding to the belief that all Landlords are callous and uncaring about the welfare of their captive clients. And my windowsills will continue to suffer.
    Last edited by flyernzl; 01-07-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    Then of course, by producing substantial profits they pass a significant part of those profits back to the Government coffers by way of tax. Behind it all the Government itself still owns most of the actual generation infrastructure.
    Don't forget that - in addition to the tax lolly - there are those wonderful windfalls called dividends paid to governments by assorted parts of the electricity business, as well!

Collectively, a giant fraud on taxpayers; a broken disaster initiated by Tax Bradford.

Treasury Report

The graph shows that, following large ordinary and special dividends in 2009/10, Mighty River Power’s ordinary dividends to the Crown since 2010/11 have been broadly consistent, at between $90 million and $120 million a year, with two special dividends paid on top of this in the last two years.

The graph shows the same story as for Mighty River Power, and the reason is the same - Genesis Energy increased its dividends significantly, although this happened just before the Crown sold some of its shares, while Genesis Energy was preparing itself for being a listed company.

The graph below shows total dividends paid by Meridian Energy to all shareholders (not just the Crown) again with ordinary dividends in blue and special dividends in red.

With all the Draconian new laws for residential rental LLs, perhaps AirBnB would be better? To avoid any hassle in Hawke's Bay, consult Be My Hostess. Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    Contrary to the often stated and firmly held myth, when you insulate a cold house you then actually have a cold insulated house.
    All political commentary aside, when and who is going to report these stark realities to the do-gooders in our society? Why could not these brain dead numpties see - in advance - your inescapable postulate?

Maybe it was just so that the do-gooders could feel good? Knowing all along that the tenants would not.

It's a frustrating situation.

Yes all energy companies have been used to provide indirect taxes to both governments for some years now. Max Bradford may have kicked it off, but Labour kept it going.

When it comes to easy cash, no one turns the tap off.

But the wider problem is down to globalisation and technology. Both of which have seen wages in NZ stagnate over the last 30 years. These tenants will not be tech workers or lucrative business owners. They will be working people (almost certainly both in the couple) who are struggling to earn enough to pay the bills.

And until we have more high paying jobs and/or some sort of universal basic income, stories like this will just get worse and worse.
    Squadly dinky do!

Default Cause Surgery Needed - Not Symptom Sticking Plaster Patches

Very true, David. But they are symptoms. As are so many of the media beat-up items of today. As someone so eloquently said: we do not have a housing supply shortage - we have an immigration supply surplus.

Just like your post's plaint about insulation vs heating (or costs thereof), symptom-chasing is the norm, these days.

No one - least of all the W'gton woodenheads - wants to even contemplate causes, much less deal with them.

I see that they're starting to talk about the importance of airing out a home on those annoying energywise ads.

It's a small start, but at least someone, somewhere, is starting to see the light of day.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Thread Information