Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dishwasher - does it increase rental returns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher - does it increase rental returns?

The dishwasher in my rental in West Auckland is broken and am debating as to whether it is actually worth replacing it. Does anyone have feedback as to whether they can get more rent for including a dishwasher with the property and if so how much per week? Or is a dishwasher simply an added expense and hassle for no more return? If a dishwasher is to be recommended any brands that people have found to be particularly reliable and good value for money?
    Any feedback appreciated!

Dear Karen
    I don't think it is a dealbreaker but a dishwasher adds to the attraction of a rental. i have used Baumatic brand very successfully. 1 repair over 7 rentals in four years.
    Cheers
    Charlotte30

Comment

I agree, it makes it more rentalable, but you wont get any more rent for it.
      In most of my 2 bed apartments the dishwasher never gets used, but most prospective tenants check if one is present.
      Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Originally posted by Keithw View Post
        In most of my 2 bed apartments the dishwasher never gets used, but most prospective tenants check if one is present.
        I only have two places with a diswasher but I've also found that no one uses them. I don't think they've been turned on in years!
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Yes I never used it when I lived there but unfortunately this tenant wants to. She only has the lease for three months though so may end up just hiring one for that time if I have to as it is listed in the chattels and not sure what the legal implications of that are. I prefer not to have one in there though I think - just one more thing to go wrong!

Comment

What will you do if she says she wants to extend the lease by another 6 months ?
            Does hiring still make sense in that case ?

I guess you've got the advantage of 100% deductability of the hirage vs depreciation (25 % ?)
            At what point/ period does the hire become much more expensive than fronting up with a few $00 now & claiming the depreciation.

Brand new they seem to be around $600
            Second hand you should get something around $200 off trademe
            Whats the monthly rental ?
            Last edited by Keithw; 27-10-2011, 11:48 AM.
            Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

I wouldnt be without a dishwasher - godsend those things. Only one issue with the one in our rental and we swaped it for the same via tradme cost about $150

Comment

Problem is I am overseas so unable to source easily off trademe etc at the moment. I would only hire for the three months if legally I have to provide one because she has signed the lease with this listed as a chattel then when lease is up if she wants to re-sign it then the house will be without the dishwasher. I think it's ok if you are living near your rental to replace these things and sort out problems but I am not so for me it is just an added expense with little, if any, return. I dont think in this market its necessary to provide extras to get tenants as there is more demand than supply.

Comment

Fair comment, doing these things remotely is a lot harder.
                  Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

What's wrong with tenants these days?

When I rented in the UK, a dishwasher most certainly was a deal-breaker. If there was no dishwasher and the LL wasn't prepared to install one prior to our arrival, they didn't have us as tenants, which was again most certainly their loss.

Comment

Well we all know poms are lazier than kiwis and I guess the dishwasher test is the proof! hehe

Comment

It called efficiency - so much quicker to chuck it all in a dishwasher and frees up time for more important things.

Comment

Originally posted by karenpnz View Post
                          she has signed the lease .

????? if its a lease why are you asking this question? I would understand the question more if your were referring to a normal rental agreement. Leasing is very different to renting
                          The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Personally, I would just replace it. They are not that expensive. Don't have any in my rentals but if the kitchens did accommodate them, I would put them in. More just as a positive for attracting tenants rather than higher rent.

My PPOR one is a SMEG and has not had a problem in 10 years since we put it in.

Comment

I am asking as the agreement is just for three months - so I will rent one for the three months if I have to if it is not worth buying one. Funny that in this forum sometimes people seem to have a go at people for asking questions....not sure why that is. Thought this forum was for people to learn from each other, especially when they are new to investing!

Comment

Working...
                              X