Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting walls - most appropriate filler

Hi all

I'm about to paint my son's bedroom. The current surface is painted wallpaper. The wallpaper's in good condition (with very few bubbles or holes) so I'm going to paint over it again.

I want to perforate the wallpaper in the corners (i.e. the right-angled junction where 2 walls meet) and use my finger to apply some sort of filler so that I can get a smooth/rounded finish in the corners. In view of the fact that I'll be applying the filler to painted wallpaper, rather than bare gib board, can I use normal Gib jointing compound, or would I get better adhesion by using a more general purpose product, like Permafill??

Cheers

Mark.

You may be able to use Selleys no more gaps. I have seen painters use this stuff everywhere and paint over it. It is cheap and easy to apply. Not sure on wallaper though.
    Bonus with no more gaps is its flexibility which prevents cracking.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Whitt.

Yes, I was thinking about No More Gaps, too. The only problem with it is that you can't sand it, so you have to get it smooth/perfect when you're applying it. Perhaps running a damp cloth down the corner is the best way to ensure smooth distribution?

Cheers

Mark.

Comment

No more gaps is not difficult to get a good finish. Easy to get into the corners and a wet rag or a soapy finger does the trick to keep it under control.

Comment

There is a special tool that you can buy that will allow you to place gib stop/no more gaps into corners. Bought one myself, cost about $25, well worth the money. No need to sand if applied correctly. Looks similar to a paint scraper but has two right angled edges.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

Looks like No More Gaps is the way to go.

Cheers

Mark.

Comment

Hi Mark

Can bought very cheaply from Trademe.
              Go to paint and wallpaper. A guy who calls himself Korkz sources 3 sausages of the stuff for $6. You have to pick up though.
              Retails for about $6-7 per tube.
              Has an auction at the moment.

If you can wait until next week will get his phone number.

Regards
              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
              X