Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corroding Iron railing

Hi All,
    The iron railing leading up to the front door is corroding. This is a 70s style unit. What are peoples experience, recommendation ?
    1. Sand down, prime and paint
    2. Remove and replace .. but with what
    3. Leave as is... tenants don't care anyway ?

If you have done 1 or 2 can you please let me know who or what you did.
    Thanks,
    REM

Get it taken off and taken to a hot dip galvanising place. A builder did this for us at our home. It was a very long rail, so they cut it into 4 to 5m long sections, welded on tongue join bits, hot dipped it and brought it back, bolted it together.

Sounds horrible but worked really well. and looked very good. That was 6 years ago and the rail still looks fine, no corrosion showing.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Davo36, sounds good but expensive ? do you still remember the guy who did it ?

Comment

It cost us $1500 but that was for heaps of it, probably 20 to 30 metres. A local builder took it to an engineering outfit.

The builder is no longer around and I don't know which engineering place it was, but any of them should be able to do it.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

If it's too far gone you can remove it and replace it with a new timber railing.
          Hopefully the steps are solid enough to bolt a new railing to.
          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Do you guys think it makes a difference to potential tenants of a 2 bedroom unit ?

Comment

All you need to do is go over it with a wire brush and apply rust converter. This converts the rust into an inert form and it acts a a primer, so you can go ahead and finish it with enamel spray paint. Easy.

Brent

Comment

Actually I can think of another way to go if the rust is not too bad you can sand/wire brush and spray with zinc-it, this is a good way to go if you like a galvanised finish as you won't need to paint afterwards.

Comment

Rockran,

If the railing is not corroded to the point where you can break it by hand, then you can just prep and paint/spray to get a decent finish on it.

If you lean on the railing and the railing gives away, then you need to replace it as it is now a hazard.

Prep and paint/spray to tenant your unit.

Only replace/upgrade the railing if you are planning to sell.

The tenant doesn't care about the outside, they only care about the inside of the unit.

Comment

Cool thanks for that

Comment

Just an update all. I got a grinder and a wire brush from Bunnings. Only ended up using the wire brush actually.
                      I then used Dulex Quit Rust metal primer on it which turned it black. A couple of days later I added 2 coats of Dulex Quit Rust top coat (white) and it turned out great.
                      Many thanks to the guy at Bunnings who was very helpful. It did take a lot of my time because it's a long railing so I hope it lasts a few years.

Comment

Good job! and thanks for the helpful info =)

Comment

Working...
                        X