Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenants moving

Hi all,
    I am new to Forum and relatively new to New Zealand, as well. Seeing that you guys are experienced in this field and all I wanted to ask some questions (from a tenants point of view) here.
    I am living in a city apartment since the last 1.5 years and my lease expires on 21st october. The owner of our property has sold this apartment last week and the new owner wants us to either vacate on 21st oct or extend lease by 4 months (rent increases by 50 dollars after 21st oct). In any case we are interested in leaving this place and finding another house closer to my workplace.
    my question is that in case I cant find a house to move in on the exact date 21st October, but can move out, say 27 th october, in that case can I ask my landlord to rent me this apartment for 1 more week? and if yes how many days before can I let him no what day I would be leaving.
    I am not sure how to time this so that the day I leave this house coincides exactly with the day I move to the new one.

Considering that the rugby finals are on 23rd October, I am not sure Il find anything in Auckland before 23.

Please help.

Welcome to the forum. The landlord is within their rights in asking you to move on the 21st. Of course, you could stay and risk a fine of up to $1000 for the privilege.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
      Welcome to the forum. The landlord is within their rights in asking you to move on the 21st. Of course, you could stay and risk a fine of up to $1000 for the privilege.
      Loll! what I meant is can i negotiate with the landlord a couple of weeks more/ less? and if so how many days in advance do i hav e to tell him how many days more/less I want.

Furthermore how do people normally time it so that they are moving on the EXACT day?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by priinnz View Post
        Furthermore how do people normally time it so that they are moving on the EXACT day?
        You tell your new landlord that you will be moving in on a specific date. If you really want a place and they won't wait, you pay two rents for a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by priinnz View Post
          can i negotiate with the landlord a couple of weeks more/ less? and if so how many days in advance do i hav e to tell him how many days more/less I want.
          You can always ask, it's the only way to find out. The sooner the better - before they put any effort into re-tenanting. They are likely to be more flexible then.

Comment

The LL wants to know what you will do ASAP so they can re-rent to the next tenant. Because of the RWC as you say it could be hard to find a place that week so why not tell the LL you will pay the extra $50 and move out on the 27th. That gives both of you a date to work to. You cant expect the LL to leave the place vacant a few weeks just in case you may or may not need it.

Comment

Originally posted by keleri View Post
              why not tell the LL you will pay the extra $50 and move out on the 27th.
              What you really need to do is ask, not tell.
              LL is within his rights to say no.

Comment

Start talking to the Landlord now.
                Everything is negotiable. Just be fair.
                Also start looking now to create more options for yourself.
                Remember after the world cup all the hoo haa will have died off and there will be a fair amount to rent.

Comment

Working...
                X