Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Mitre10 / Bunnings good for Kitchens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Mitre10 / Bunnings good for Kitchens?

They have quoted me a price that is not bad at all, but I do not know how the quality of the kitchen will be in the long term. Anyone with experience here please? Looking for some advice here...!

Just to add some context, this is going to be a part of a bigger alteration/renovation project costing $100K+ - if I decide to go down that way! Thanks.

Comment

I have done 3 kitchen renovations in the past year including bench tops from Placemakers which I'm sure are similar to what Bunnings offer.
      I'm a DIY and personally fitted and found the product to be durable and cost effective, if you want bling-bling head for the kitchen shops. I had no problems fitting up the kit sets, result smart kitchens and happy tenants.

Comment

I've got a kitchen from Placemakers in Link Dr, Glenfield, which is very similar in price to Bunnings/mitre 10. Know of two others with kitchens from Placemakers and so far we are all very happy with the durability.....one of the kitchens being about 6 years old.....and not showing any signs of wear.

But a word of warning......make sure you know what exactly it is you are getting....from anywhere

Placemakers, I believe are individually owned, so the kitchen from one store may not be the same from another.

So you really need to check as to the quality of the materials used in construction.....not just the hinges, but the type of MDF or whatever it is they use.

I have a friend who was a wee bit too focused on buying the cheapest, believing that one kitchen was much the same as any other.

It looked great for a couple of years, but unfortunately it is falling to bits and really needs replacing.....and it's less than 7 years old.

Comment

I bought a new kitchen around 1 year ago, m10, no issues, and found that what the products they offered were much the same, laminate, granite or engineered stone, but buying from a kitchen store, was just more expensive. Unless you go for a custom design, they are all just modular anyway. Agree with the response above. Make sure you know the materials and thicknesses.

Comment

We've installed perhaps a dozen Bunnings kitchens in the last 6 months. On the whole they fit together very well, not like flat packs of the past where each unit was like a custom build! The only niggle is sometimes the bolts for the door handles are just a little too short.... but is that really a worry?

They stack up well on price and quality compared to many other kitchens, and are generally available off the shelf (try the bigger Bunnings just in case). Take two people as the 900 x 900 corner cupboard if 39.6kg and a bit of a struggle on your own. Good luck!

TD

Comment

I haven't installed any kitchens but I've found that the cheaper bathroom cabinets aren't sealed properly and moisture tends to get in and expand the MDF, splitting the edges. Look out for the same thing with kitchens.
              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Any wood will expand if exposed to enough water, or moisture.

The trick is to seal any exposed wood, where ever you make cut-outs for sink, cook top, waste pipe, skirting board or whatever. Seal it with either PVA or whale sperm.

TD

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dog View Post
                  Any wood will expand if exposed to enough water, or moisture.
                  The trick is to seal any exposed wood, where ever you make cut-outs for sink, cook top, waste pipe, skirting board or whatever. Seal it with either PVA or whale sperm.
                  TD
                  Whale sperm... knew I missed a trick. I'm talking about the already sealed doors. The cheap ones aren't completely sealed, and seem to absorb moisture from the air. Shouldn't you be out rioting in North London??
                  You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Whale sperm... knew I missed a trick. I'm talking about the already sealed doors. The cheap ones aren't completely sealed, and seem to absorb moisture from the air.
                    Darn....I missed that too.

Instead I used paint to seal all raw edges....and there were quite a few of them.

But the price was so good I didn't mind a bit of work.......anyway, I "enjoy" painting

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                      Shouldn't you be out rioting in North London??
                      Narr, I split the London scene. Besides, I'm a saarff Londin Lad. Don't do va norrff innit.

Comment

Working...
                      X