X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are nz houses over-priced?

here's an interesting exercise for you

go to the page at bottom

at the top of the graph, click on the blue box and select "prices against average income"

then on the right side select all 20 countries

you'll see that only hong kong has more expensive housing compared to income

why is this?

perhaps because we demand to live in 1st world homes

but only earn 2nd world wages...

unless the country can earn more through exports we simply can't afford australian homes with 2 car internal garages, ensuites, studys, rumpus rooms, ice-making fridges and 42inch lcd tvs

what we can afford is 3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, car port, normal fridge and a 26'tv

this shouldn't be surprising

afterall, our productivity, size, exports and location, all slot us somewhere between australia, on 1 side and fiji, tonga and samoa, on the other
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

This information/graph doesn't say we have the second highest house prices compared to income!

It shows that our house prices since 2004 have increased the 2nd most compared to income. This could be house prices have increased too much, or it could be that incomes are too low.

Very interesting that it shows our rents compared to house prices have stayed at 100 from 2004 to 2011. So my take on this is that its showing that rents have increased as much as property over this time period, which really surprises me

Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

No.
      We are prepared to spend more of our income on our house than residents do in other countries.

Comment

House price index for NZ 1997-2002 is interesting in that it flat-lined.

Compare to 2007-2010 (and beyond, I'd suggest) - very similar story, and it's 2012 soon ......

IIRC, it was an immigration boom that started the last boom? What, if anything, will do it next time?
        DFTBA

Comment

House price index for NZ 1997-2002 is interesting in that it flat-lined.
          I think in the past especially prior to the last boom NZ Property prices was somewhat under priced.

from around 2002 NZ appeared to the world as not so far away as it used to be, Safe place and the general exposure for NZ grow globally.

Via lower Travel costs, Film industry and cable TV etc.

Considering that I don't think NZ house prices will EVER go back to the 3 Times House hold income affordability as it use to be prior to the boom. - Not in the main centers and popular / recreational places / towns anyway.

I think some financial and "fundamentals " have changed with time and Progress.

In general I believe The next property boom will not be as long and as big as the last one (2002 - 2007).
          Last edited by Orkibi; 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM.
          New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
          FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
          CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

Working...
          X