• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Rental property Advertising

Hi everyone

I'd appreciate your advice on the most cost effective advertising for our new Investment property ( 2 bdrm apartment ) that we plan to start renting in June.

What media is most effective, as in response rate?. What do you consider to be the most cost effective advertisement?.

My plan so far is to place ad's in NZ herald, on Trade me..... but I would very much appreciate any advices you could give. Thanks

Is your rental in Auckland? If so, I have found Trade & Exchange really good and it is free. You can put your ads on via their web site.

Good luck

Marion

A relatively new service is http://netlets.co.nz/

They're based here on the Kapiti Coast and most of their listings so far seem to have been around here but I'd like to see them expand.

They charge $60 per annum for unlimited use, plus $15 for each sign issued. I used them on my very first IP and had signed up good tenants in less than a week but I have no way of knowing whether my experience was in any way typical.

Cheers

Simon

A couple of other websites to try:

http://www.finda.co.nz/findarental/

http://www.flatfinder.co.nz/

You have to think about the type of person you want to attract, and think 'Where would they be looking?' - The Internet (students?), The Herald/Dominion Post (New arrivals?), The Local Rag (e.g. Central Leader) (people already in the area) etc. etc.

When advertising, one suggestion is don't skimp - spending $30 to advertise in one extra publication may get the place tenanted a week earlier!

Let us know what methods you try, and which works best.

cube

Thanks everyone. The apartment in Auckland city fringe, and I'm aiming for the young professional with tech savvy, so am definitely keen on web ads.

I will be using Trade Me, and possibly the Herald. Hadn't thought of the Local Paper, so thanks , thats a great idea.

Looking forward to meetign everyone who can make it to the Stamford tonight.

Default Advertising for tenants

I have some places targeted at the same market as above - young professionals, city fringe. Have tried Trademe in the days when it was Flathunt and free - quite a lot of enquiries, but only one ever came to anything. I found it took quite a bit of time responding to the emails, many of which were from people coming to Wellington from elsewhere in NZ or from overseas, at some point in the future. A downside of web advertising ....

My best results come from a simple 2 to 3 line ad in the Saturday Dominion Post advertising an open-to-view in the early afternoon of the same day. Have never failed to let same day or the next to someone who came to the open-to-view.

Mind you the places are nicely presented and not OTT rent wise.

I have also had similar success to Artemis with a 6 line ad (NZ Herald) in Flats/Houses to Let column followed by an Open to View (same day) producing very good results. A little bit of a story (hence 6 lines) is worth its weight in gold eg sunny 2 brm house, tastefully refurbished, tranquil bush setting, close ....restaurants and cafes, zoned for ...Grammar School etc etc. The ad needs to stand out from all the competition and draw people into the open home.

You'll know when you've written a good ad because the phone will really go and you'll get good value for your advertising $.

I have also found that a 'To Let' sign on the street will generate as much inteterest as the New Zealand Herald ad!

Quote Originally Posted by Propoholic
    followed by an Open to View (same day) producing very good results.
    Are you referring to http://www.open2view.com/ ? Do they also do rentals?

No, I just meant open home...called it open to view instead!

Thread Information