• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
    So Robin, are those your true colours shining through? Are you saying you'd chase this tenant after they've left, even if the story is true?

Tell me I'm not mistaken with my earlier post.

I understand your explanation of "greedy". You didn't take my earlier point regarding the media's use of the term, in that the general public's perception is that they will often add "greedy" as a prefix to "LL" when using the word. Why is that?
    As a property manager I have a legal obligation to chase all late rent for owners

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
    Don't be a bore. It was after Robin's potential 180 degree turnaround from his/her earlier post that took the human response to the issue. Now s/he's saying they should be chased after they move out. I'm confused by that stance as it seems at odds with the first reply. But again, this you would know if you read the thread.

What is it about taking snippets of posts out of context that turns you on so?
    Sorry - maybe I wasn't clear enough. There was no 180 here. Tenant should be held to their obligation to pay rent, BUT all possible efforts should be made to secure a replacement tenant ASAP, thus releasing first tenant from the fixed term obligation with the minimum of liability.

Simply telling the tenant "you must pay" and not lifting a finger to change the situation is unhelpful and, frankly, not in the commercial interest of the owner (better a happy tenant who DOES pay rather than an absent tenant who doesn't want to pay).

Quote Originally Posted by Robin McCandless View Post
    As a property manager I have a legal obligation to chase all late rent for owners
    and at the end of the day, depending on the circumstances of each case, you would refer the issue of recover to the owner to see what they want to do. Do they want to chase with debt collector etc or let it slide. I rely on my PM to let me know this sort of thing (and they do) and I am sure you communicate well with your owners.

Yup - absolutely... some things are not worth chasing, many are, but it's not my call as it's not my money.

Ahh, money. Lefties love spending
    it, so long as it's someone else's.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

As a Landlord you have every right to contact the local suburban cop shop. The crime happened on your property. You have their full details, address of residence etc to quote so phone and explain the burgulary and subsequent vacation. Show genuine concern. I personally found them to be very helpful in a like situation, confirming the crime was what the tenant had described.
    Hope this is helpful.

Well, I forgot to come back here and thank everyone for their input.
    Basically explained to ex tenant that I expected them to pay till I found a suitable tenant. I found a new one on the day after I put it on trade me, all references checked out..was with last landlord for over 10 years...moved her in last week about 5-6 days after finding out the other tenant had left....All Sorted.

Thanks again everyone for their input.

Did you get all the rent from the old tenant to cover the time up until the new tenant moved in?

Hi Robin, my case didn't involve a burlary but an assult on the other tenant/partner named on agreement.
    He was taken into custody with a restraining order put in place so she decided to stay on, therefore no loss of rent, thankfully. However, she knew she was responsible to pay for the replacement commercial grade glass in the front door which the cops had smashed to get him. Never a dull moment when doning the Landlords hat.

Thread Information