Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensation - Heatpump vs. Ventilation

Hi,

Our new house is suffering from terrible condensation; my husband wants to get a heatpump but my friend who has AMS ventilation says it changed her house overnight with no more condensation.

Does anyone know which one is best...just don't want to be sold a lemon if we don't need it.

Please help
    RD

A heatpump is for heating. If you need heating, yes a heatpump is good, but don't just get one to cure condensation. Similarly, a ventilation system will not heat your house (properly), though it may well do a lot to cure the condensation problem.

If you decide you need a ventilation system rather than a heating system, do a search for ventilation systems on here before you choose any particular one. There are a couple of good threads with a lot of comparison info in them.

HTH

Comment

^ x 2

Cheers
      Spaceman

Comment

What heating system do you have now?
        Where do you live? - warm sunny location/cold miserable valley?

Comment

Current heat source - oil column heater and an electric heater,
          House is in Auckland, brick and tile on a flat site.

Comment

Modern houses don't breathe well, so unless you have issues with ground water, leaks or internal moisture from things like gas heaters, tumble dryers or gas hobs, it's probably a lack of ventilation. Have you tried a dehumidifier? They work really well.
            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I thought that condensation is essentially caused by the difference in temp - the inside being warmer than the outside. Moisture in the air condenses on the windows, and in the worst cases drips to the sill or pools, causing mildew there and in other locations.

Heating the air further won't fix it - it could make it worse.

I'd look into the DVS-style system and a dehumidifier, especially in the south-side rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                Heating the air further won't fix it - it could make it worse.
                Heating the air could also dry it out. Probably not an efficient way to do it but just saying.

I have always wondered why they dont combine the DVS with a heater.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I have always wondered why they dont combine the DVS with a heater.
                  That's the same as opening a window with the heater on.
                  And that would work fine.

Comment

First thing you should establish is where is all the moisture coming from. Is it normal living moisture or is there a fundamental problem like a leaking roof, rising damp etc?

A DVS or heatpump would be a poor solution if the problem is elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                      That's the same as opening a window with the heater on.
                      And that would work fine.
                      DVS circulates air within the house doesn't it, not to outside so it is like having a heater on in one room but leaving all the internal doors open.???

Comment

Firstly I investigate the source of moisture.

1) Is it the ground – ground cover (foil) is needed
                        2) Lifestyle = internal moisture, gas heaters, tumble dryers or gas hobs, bath & shower, the solution might be; dehumidifier, shower dome, ventilation system
                        3) House - lack of ventilation, I prefer solar ventilation driven by sun with zero running costs
                        4) Drying up the air by installing a heatpump is quite an expensive solution (running costs), but makes sense when sufficient heating is missing.

For resolving condensation permanently you need to balance insulation, ventilation and heating.
                        Last edited by Perry; 17-05-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          DVS circulates air within the house doesn't it, not to outside so it is like having a heater on in one room but leaving all the internal doors open.???
                          Afraid not.
                          It sucks cold air from your roof cavity and pumps it into your home - during winter when you have condensation problems.
                          Opening the windows will achieve the same effect - provided there's some wind blowing.
                          DVS' are an expensive way to cool your house down.
                          Be that as it may, a lot of people swear by them.
                          I'm surprised our resident DVS salesman hasn't leaped in with his sales spiel.

Comment

Warm air is generally in the roof cavity?

There designed to circulate air much like opening a window.

Also ducted heatpump? similar, they do models that heat, cool or just transfer air but im guessing that may be a bit more than your wanting to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                              Afraid not.
                              It sucks cold air from your roof cavity and pumps it into your home - during winter when you have condensation problems.
                              Opening the windows will achieve the same effect - provided there's some wind blowing.
                              DVS' are an expensive way to cool your house down.
                              Be that as it may, a lot of people swear by them.
                              I'm surprised our resident DVS salesman hasn't leaped in with his sales spiel.
                              We have a heat pump with a DVS/Vent system that transfers the heat around the house from the room the heat pump is in. I think he means this. We have no condensation anymore and the house is warm including the rooms that are cold and dont get much sun light.

Comment

Working...
                              X