Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Style Computer Scam via a Phone Call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Style Computer Scam via a Phone Call?

What Happened

At 2.26pm, Saturday 7 May 2011, I received an anonymous phone call.
    The caller had an Indian accent and there was lots of background
    (typical-call-centre-type) noise. He was not easy to hear.

He represented that he was from Windows Operating System technical
    support and was responding to a computer problem that I had 'logged.'
    I said I had not done such a thing and that I regarded his call as
    suspicious and a likely scam.

He suggested that I turn my computer on so he could show me how to fix
    the problem. At that point, I said that I was almost sure the call was
    a fraud, said 'goodbye' and hung up.

Speculation

Perhaps I should've followed the instructions to a certain point, to
    see what happened? I suspect that I would've been asked to download
    a patch (or some similar expression), which I would have declined to do.

However, had I persisted for a little longer, I may've got a clearer
    idea of the complete modus operandi, to pass on, in an effort to
    forewarn others.

Or maybe I should've said I used Linux or had a Mac, to see what happened?
    Last edited by Perry; 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM.

I recommend toying with such callers...if you're bored and have a bit of spare time it can be great fun.

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
      What Happened
      I suspect that I would've been asked to download
      a patch (or some similar expression), which I would have declined to do.
      Very likely told to visit a certain website and that would've been enough to trigger a download. I'd say you did the right thing in hanging up early!
      Last edited by One; 07-05-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I would have started speaking in an Indian accent and asking him if he could come over for a curry :-) It's hard to imagine someone paying people to spread a virus. Far more likely that the download would be a keylogger or similar to get your passwords etc. to get into your bank or find your credit card number.

Comment

You are asked to goto a specific file and tell them what you see. It's a complicated file. They then tell you that there is a problem with it and that you need to allow them to shadow you. While they are shadowing you they install a virus to open up your computer to hacking.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Overseas phone scammers target Queenslanders with Microsoft con

• Daniel Knowles
            • May 08, 2011 12:00AM
            • 5 comments

CRIMINAL call centres in India are bombarding Queenslanders in the latest scam to separate them from their money.

Fraud Squad Detective Superintendent Brian Hay said police did not yet know whether the scammers had set up their own call centres or simply hired existing, legitimate businesses to ring Queensland homes and follow a phishing script.
            But thousands of Queenslanders are believed to have been targeted by the cold-calling cons, including one known as the "Microsoft scam".
            Det-Supt Hay said phone scammers were growing more sophisticated, with the Microsoft ruse being run over two phone calls.
            In the first, the criminals pretend to be conducting a survey, asking seemingly innocent questions including which bank the homeowner uses.
            A few days later, a second call is made, saying there is a problem with the homeowner's computer and requiring personal information.
            The information gleaned in the first call is used to reassure the homeowner the caller is legitimate, and many people let their guard down.
            "We get a lot of calls saying 'we didn't fall for it' but thought you should know," Det-Supt Hay said.
            "But when you start running into people in the flesh who have been targeted, you know it's massive.
            "The money these people are making out of it, they could set up their own call centre.
            "Or they could be engaging existing call centres to do a script. The advice is simply to hang up."
            With international calls becoming cheaper thanks to the use of internet lines (VOIP), Det-Supt Hay said phone scams operated by foreign criminals would become more common.
            Australia and particularly Queensland was a growing target for international scammers, Det-Supt Hay said.
            He said examples included Malaysian shopping gangs using credit cards loaded with stolen account details in organised raids from Adelaide to Cairns.
            There were also card-skimming operations taking advantage of Australia's reliance on outdated magnetic strip technology on ATMs, Det-Supt Hay said.
            "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Go on .... you know you want to

419Eater.com is a website dedicated to the fight against 419 and Internet scams. Read about the exploits of our anti scam Scam Baiters who fight the good fight by taking on the scammers, wasting their time and saving victims from further losses. Join our forums to read more adventures in scambaitingi, 419 Eater. Anti Scammer letters pages, forum, anti-scammer hints and tips.

just the thing the while away a wet sunday arvo

Cheers
              Spaceman

Comment

had one last week.Told them bluntly that he was a a--w---e and to get F------d.
                Shouted at him in fact.

Made me feel good.

Comment

New?

It's an international problem.
                  Britons targeted by cold callers pretending to be from Microsoft phoning to fix a fake computer problem

Comment

Yeah, I got that call. I have a very rarely used lap top at home. In hindsight I would have loved to take up his time trying to shadow me and download anything through dial up!

I just told him I didn't have a computer and I had heard of his scam. Boring I know, but I was watching American Idol and he interupted .

Comment

Just tell him that someone called back earlier and it's already fixed!
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Come on - think of poor suffering Telecom shareholders...
                        String the s.o.bs along on the phone for as long as possible.
                        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Hah! It's likely to all be VOIP!
                          (Voice call over the Internet)

Comment

woah. that was a weird encounter for you.
                            Good thing you hung up.
                            It's best not to believe everything you hear especially from self-proclaimed "experts"

Comment

I received a call a couple of days ago.
                              Asked the guy to send me a email.
                              Said if he did that he would be sending thousands out.
                              So told him to send me a letter and hung up.
                              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X