No announcement yet.

Heat Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your tenants have community services card you can get up to 60% grant from Govt, compared to the normal 30%.

We had ours done recently and made a big difference over summer in that we didnt bake overnight anymore from the hot tiles radiating heat down from the roof, seems warm now with no heating source, fire goes in on Monday. Cost $1200 under the grant to do 110m2 in Novatherm we are also installing a fire which entitles use to a futher $500 grant as insulation is up to standard.

Comment

Made huge difference - yes own home. This house used to be cold and damp in the winter, and too hot in the summer, and had patches of mould throughout the house. Two years on, since insulating, no sight of any mould and the house is far more temperate.

Yes, you are correct, the higher the R values, the higher the costs, however, the quotes I got did indicate, that the difference between R values mean increments of only a few hundred dollars, and this is because its just the product that costs more, the labour costs stay the same, for example,
      one roof quote of r value 1.8 was $846, and the quote I went with was $893 for R value 3. (the 846 quote included the subsidy and the $893 did not)

Comment

I wouldn't waste money on underfloor insulation unless you have already done the ceiling - this is where the most losses generally are. Installing the underfloor will make minimal difference unless you have a particularly draughty basement and gaps between floorboards.

Save your money and spend it on the ceiling insulation.

Originally posted by sbw View Post

The think I like about Expol (and I assume it would be for all different types of underfloor insulation) is that you could do one room at a time. e.g. furtherest away from the heat/pump fire and gradually work away at it. Expol also looks pretty easy to install by myself

Comment

Heat Pump Discounts

Hi all - any thoughts on the best way to get a discount on heatpumps - the installer gives the quote which includes the machine - but it seems like the installer just adds on the full price of the machine from harvey norman or whoever provided him with the lead.

Do people get a discount from the installer, then go to the machine provider/shop and ask them for another separate discount also?

Seems a bizarre system - of course installation costs can vary - but they wont even discuss a price in the shops!

Cheers,
          SK

Comment

get a couple of quotes for a heatpump installed and pick the best one that suits you, simple

Comment

Originally posted by donnyboy View Post
              get a couple of quotes for a heatpump installed and pick the best one that suits you, simple
              That would get you the cheapest quote.

Need a discount.

I'll try and get one from installer and machine provider.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissKiwi View Post

Need a discount.

whats so special about you, why do you "need a discount"

Comment

Silly question.

I don't pay list price for anything.

You prefer to pay more for the same thing - up to you.

Comment

Silly question.

You prefer to pay more for the same thing - up to you.
                    of course you offer discounts in your line of work or accept 80% of your pay do you because your employer doesnt pay full price for anything even immigrants, do you have tenants? how much discount do they get?
                    Last edited by jimO; 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Need a discount.

There's plenty of guys supplying and installing out there.
                      Some are very cheap but because they are cheap doesn't make it the best deal.
                      I don't mind paying list price if I think I'm getting value.
                      Especially if the company I'm dealing with is trust worthy and not likely to be a fly by night cowboy.

Comment

And all depends what brand heat pump you get as well.
                        Cheap brands aren't the best, and likely to be inefficient, if you do some home work, you will know what COP and EER means

Comment

You must be a bundle of laughs to go out to dinner with....

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                            i find that attitude is always a one way street

Comment

And all depends what brand heat pump you get as well.
                              Cheap brands aren't the best, and likely to be inefficient, if you do some home work, you will know what COP and EER means
                              Quite right - research is key - and dont want a cowboy installer of course.
                              I'm going to use mitsubishi - have you used these or Fujitsu - seems that these are the major 2 brands.
                              I need quite a few.

Haha - if the tucker didnt live up to the advertising or prices on the menu - you can always apply the 'post-meal-till-time-discount!'

Comment

The piping from the outside unit to the inside unit is just copper piping, you could probably rip that out from and old place somewhere. And the cabling linking the 2 is just power point cabling, you must have some of that lying around surely.

You could also get a hole saw and do the holes in the wall yourself, that would save like $10 each one I imagine, just think how you can reinvest this to make your property empire grow!

And that refrigerant stuff, man it's just this nebulous gas stuff that floats away if you're not careful! Who in their right mind would pay for that! I'd recommend ripping out the back of an old fridge and quickly whacking that pipe onto your heat pump pipe. Careful though, you need to have some electrical tape or blue tak or something like chewing gum handy to seal up your unit once it's full. Oh yeah don't breathe it in or your lungs will burst. And it's hella flammable but there's like $5.50 to be saved with each one of these you do yourself. Just do like 2000 and you have your next deposit!

In fact I have heaps of ideas, we could meet up for coffee and I'll tell you about them. Your shout
                                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                                X