Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone / Advice please

Hi Everyone
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m a new member here. I’ve been lurking for a while now but this is my first post. This forum has been an amazing resource of knowledge for me over the last few months as I move closer to getting onto the property ladder. The site reno looks great by the way.
    I had a couple of questions I was hoping to put forward
    I’m a kiwi living in Oz, (Australian for tax purposes) and have been getting my ‘ducks in a row’ so to speak over the last few months to start investing.
    I’m focusing on investing in a high yielding property in particular 2 homes on 1 title or a block of units, or a place with a granny flat or the like.
    I’ve gone through a broker for a mortgage and have got a conditional approval back today
    I’ve got $100,000 or slightly more if need be for a deposit
    Bank (ANZ) will loan $400,000 with the following conditions:
    Full S&P agreement acceptable to the Lender in all respects (please ensure that the security meets the standard residential property requirements, i.e. no small apartments, small town location, multiple units on single titles, bare land, dry rot in the dwelling etc.) Once the sale and purchase agreement has been provided the Lender will advise if a registered valuation is required.
    Written rental appraisal from an independent Real Estate Agent or a tenancy agreement totalling no less than $700 per week – note that this can be less if the purchase price is less
    So my questions are:
    1) No multiple units on a single title. Is this a standard condition? Has anyone else come across this recently? It’s ironic that this is the kind of property I’m after.
    2) Property must return at least $700 in rental per week. This seems in direct contradiction with not allowing me to purchase multiple income streamed property. How is a standard 3 beddy (under $500,000) meant to return $700 a week?
    My broker advised that most banks will only lend to 70% because I’m in OZ, (I’m lending 80%) and if I wanted to look at purchasing multi units on a single title I would be looking at 70% LVR as well.
    So what are my options from here? How can I get this condition nixed. Do I need to come up with another 10% deposit and/or should I look at including my girlfirends income to reduce the servicing requirement of $700 return?
    Any advice would be great

Question 2
    If I’m looking at purchasing a multiple income streamed property, how do I go about dealing with existing tenants in the S&P agreement I’ve read a few posts about inheriting tenants and reviewing existing tenancy agreements prior to purchasing (as you inherent the existing agreement) which I understand but what kind of clause do I need to put in for this?
    Eg. Conditional on buyers’ approval of existing tenancy agreement, or approval on tenants’ agreeing to signing up to a new tenancy agreement?
    Basically I want to safe guard myself from inheriting dodgy tenants. But vacant possession seems like a big ask if say the property is a block of 4 units.

Again any advice would be great

Many thanks

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction JC.
    Its very interesting to see your banks response.

Yes your comment about $700pw on a 500k property is quite correct, this is unlikely to happen with a single dwelling.

However the multiple properties on 1 title issue should not exclude you from a unit titled block, or a cross leased property, with multiple buildings across the whole site.
    Obviously these will take more finding, & you cant make the money that you might have wanted to by buying a block of flats then unit titling them yourself, but since this is your first property, that would probably not be a great way for you to start.
    And whether you can find such a place for 500k is another thing again, but the conditions do not exclude you from multi-properties as far as I can see.
    Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Hi Keithw

Yes it still looks like it's possible to look at a 2 home 1 title option. The mandatory $700 rental income just seems wierd. I'm going to press my broker to see if there's a way around these conditions

Any advice on my other questions anyone?

Comment

The $700 pw is the bank saying to you "We don't think you can afford to service this loan unless the rent is at least $700pw".

The No multi unit condition is to protect the bank against owning a mortgagee sale of a 10 unit block on flats in the nether regions of a bad area. Very hard to re-sell, so the bank wants you to avoid this.

Maybe they'd let you go for a home and income? eg a 3 bed house over a 1 bed flat?

Comment

I would say they want a minimum of $700 simply to cover the mortgage payments

400k at 8% (a calculation they use for affordability) = a weekly repayment mortgage of $676.00
          Even at IO this payment will still be $615.00

Roughly speaking, a 500k property in AKL might return between 450 and 550 per week.
          This leaves a minimum shortfall of $150 per week, and those does not include rates, insurance and agents fees (seeing you are in Aus)

Simply put, property is too expensive (at present) to make a profitable yield

Comment

Originally posted by JCaine View Post
            Question 2
            If I’m looking at purchasing a multiple income streamed property, how do I go about dealing with existing tenants in the S&P agreement I’ve read a few posts about inheriting tenants and reviewing existing tenancy agreements prior to purchasing (as you inherent the existing agreement) which I understand but what kind of clause do I need to put in for this?
            Eg. Conditional on buyers’ approval of existing tenancy agreement, or approval on tenants’ agreeing to signing up to a new tenancy agreement?
            Basically I want to safe guard myself from inheriting dodgy tenants. But vacant possession seems like a big ask if say the property is a block of 4 units.

Again any advice would be great

Many thanks
            JC,

Suspect you want a special condition where the vendor immediately supplies the tenancy agreements for review plus a history of rent payment for each tenant. You review the payment history and agreement. You then approve or disapprove each tenant, and those you disapprove get given 42 days notice by the vendor. Your settlement date will need to be, say, 49+ days after you give the notice of approval/disapproval. Settlement to be conditional on vacant possession of the units where the tenant has been disapproved.

Comment

Robin / Damage

Thanks for your comments. I guess the Bank is just safe guarding themselves. I didn't plan on buying a 10 unit block but it would have been nice to have the option of looking at a 3x1 or 2x2 block senario

Ivan

Yes this is exactly what I'm after. Is there a actual clause available or would this be something I would need my lawyer to write up?

Comment

JC, no clause available...that's my interpretation of what you need, rather than me reciting a standard clause. It will need to be drafted by your lawyer.

Comment

Hi JC,
                  Sounds funny that they'll only loan you 400K. I'm a kiwi in Aus also, and they'll lend me much more than that, AND they'll lend me 95% of the purchase price if that's what I'm after.
                  I dont have anywhere near a $100K deposit. And I'd say my salary was average. Have you looked around at different banks? You might not have such tricky clauses elsewhere.
                  Ami

Comment

JCaine,

As a kiwi living overseas I had the same bank requirements laid down on me. Except my deposit requirement was even higher. Here is my interpretation

- Multi unit - If you ask the bank I think you will find a Home and Income is fine. Anything over 2 dwellings the bank will not lend on as they have to class it as a commercial loan. For commercial loans the requirements sky rocket.

- $700 rent requirement for borrowing $400k. As you are overseas the bank wants the deal to stack up on its own merits. This way they do not have to bring your overseas income into the equation. It is MUCH easier for your lending officer to get your application passed this way. My officer mentioned that banks don't want the hassle of trying to collect bad debts based overseas. If your rent is $700 a week and you get in trouble and stop paying the mortgage they know they are covered without dealing with messy overseas debt collection.

Shane D

Comment

Amimuir

That's interesting, do you mind letting me know if you went through a broker or a bank and which one? I've had a few brokers say banks will only go 80% for Kiwi's in Oz

Shane

It makes sense from the bank's POV, I guess I'll just have to focus on a home and income scenario instead

Comment

Shane

Were you told you would have to achieve $XX rental income per week?

Comment

Originally posted by JCaine View Post
                          Amimuir

Shane

It makes sense from the bank's POV, I guess I'll just have to focus on a home and income scenario instead
                          Home and Income happen to be my strategy also. My advice is go strictly legal. There are lots of illegally converted flats under houses. I would run a mile from these. Make sure the seller can produce a code of compliance and everything looks kosha on the LIM. You will have nothing but hassle from the council if you end up buying a H&I that is illegal. And going forward I see the rules/regulations only tightening further so it will be VERY costly to recify anything illegal and nearly impossible to sell.

Shane D

Comment

Originally posted by Shane D View Post
                            JCaine,

As a kiwi living overseas I had the same bank requirements laid down on me. Except my deposit requirement was even higher. Here is my interpretation

- Multi unit - If you ask the bank I think you will find a Home and Income is fine. Anything over 2 dwellings the bank will not lend on as they have to class it as a commercial loan. For commercial loans the requirements sky rocket.

- $700 rent requirement for borrowing $400k. As you are overseas the bank wants the deal to stack up on its own merits. This way they do not have to bring your overseas income into the equation. It is MUCH easier for your lending officer to get your application passed this way. My officer mentioned that banks don't want the hassle of trying to collect bad debts based overseas. If your rent is $700 a week and you get in trouble and stop paying the mortgage they know they are covered without dealing with messy overseas debt collection.

Shane D
                            To be fair JCAINE, the bank is doing you a favour. Clearly a $500k house / property will not return the $700 needed to service the loan. Is this not telling you that maybe what you are trying to do is not financially sound? Realistically its going to cost you around $200 per week just for the privledge of subsidising future tenants.

Why dont you invest is Aus, the tax breaks are far better

Comment

I have a fantastic Mortgage guy at Kiwibank - Mike McGinley ([email protected]) he's been extremely helpful, and there doesn't seem to be an issue that I'm in Aus and he's in NZ. All very easy. Tell him Ami recommended him....
                              He'll give you recommendations and advice about not borrowing too much.
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X