Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you doing about rising interest rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing about rising interest rates?

There's been talk about the rising interest rates and various speculation about how much further they will go. What impact is it having on you, and what are you doing about it?

To kick it off, here's my plan:

My IP's are fixed for another 3 years so I'm not too worried about it yet. Of course if rates remain high / go higher then I'll be feeling it in another 3 years. I'll be able to ride out rates of about 10%, although things sure won't be cashflow positive at that level! Will be closer to neutral after tax, but I'm prepared to live with that knowing there will always be ups and downs over the long term.

My own house is on a fixed rate that will expire in a few months. I'm going to refix on the expectation that rates will be high for a while to come.

I'm also not actively in the market at the moment. I'm going to sit tight for a few more months, make sure my financial position is secure, then get serious about acquisitions again when others are feeling the pain of high interest rates.

The other thing that I've been doing from day 1, is doing calculations on any prospective properties at an interest rate of about 8% which (depending who you ask) is a long term average of rates over the last 10 years. I see so many people who do the calculation at todays best rate. Ok, so 8% may not be the average over the next 10 years but I'm happier knowing I've allowed for various ups and downs over the long term rather than just hoping for the best.

So, your thoughts?
    Gerrard

I have just fixed 60% of my debt for 2 years at 7.6%
    The bulk of the rest is fixed until mid 2006 at below 7%
    About 120k comes up for review in July... we'll see then.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

All my loans are fixed rates which expire anywhere from this time next year to 4 years time.

One opportunity that the increase in interest rates has allowed me to do is pay off lump sums against these mortgages without penalties from the Banks. If the current interest rates were lower than my fixed rates I would have been hit by fines as the Bank will argue that they could lend the money out to another client for a higher rate. ( I think Andrew from Rentmaster mentioned this is what happened to him in a previous post).

Now though I can pay down more against these fixed loans without penalties so there is a silver lining in all of this for me.(This process is turning my properties in high capital gain areas (inner city) from negative cashflow to positive cashflow too) Plus it means I get more on term cash deposits as well, so its not all bad.

Next year when the first of the loans comes off fixed I will probably fix again for a short term and see where the rates go from there.

Cheers

LK

Comment

Originally posted by LondonKiwi
        ( I think Andrew from Rentmaster mentioned this is what happened to him in a previous post).
        Nope - not me.

I have the majority fixed for various lengths, but I also have a revolving credit facility which I use to pay off lump sums regularly without any penalty, regardless of what interest rates are doing. When a fixed mortgages comes off fixed, I use the revolving credit to pay a lump sum off it, and refix it again. Then I pay back the revolving credit.

I dont really care what the interest rates are doing. It is not something I can control, so why worry about it. I currently have a very conservative LVR.

Comment

I also have loans already on fixed rates which expire anywhere from mid 2005 to mid 2006, plus a revolving credit loan.

I am lucky in that I have no personal debt, just IP mortgages individually secured against each propery, so I am not too fussed what interest rates do.

My personal wish is that interest rates go to 12 - 14%. That way it should weed out all the johnny-come-lately investors and should (hopefully) create opportunities to buy good gashflow ++ property in the areas I am interested in

Comment

I suppose there is an element of security with fixed rate lending and the banks have realised that even though we take risks borrowing 80%+ we like the consistency of knowing what our repayments are for a period of time (as is the deal with fixed rate).

However I have been informed by a finance chap that over the long term - floating out performs fixed and as we are in it for the long term why do we focus on the next 12,24 60 months etc when it comes to our lending?

Just a thought!

Cheers,

Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Rentmaster have a look at your previous post re mistakes in Real Estate re paying off your mortgage on fixed interest rates...(this is what I was referring to).

Cheers.

LK

Comment

Originally posted by LondonKiwi
                Rentmaster have a look at your previous post re mistakes in Real Estate re paying off your mortgage on fixed interest rates...(this is what I was referring to).

Cheers.

LK
                Yes that’s right LondonKiwi. You remember what I wrote better than I do.
                That was a one-off though. I don’t do that regularly. I have learnt from that mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X