Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen St Development

Does this hurt or help?

Seems like its at the wrong end of Queen St to me, but maybe its big enough to be a destination by itself?

Still all the units will be freehold - without an operator to ensure quality of tenant etc this might go downhill rapidly...

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Plans for one of the biggest multi-tenant retail sites in central Auckland have just been released - as it backers count on an improved retail environment.

The redevelopment in the heart of the city's Queen Street will see the establishment of 60 retail outlets - all to be operated as freehold unit titles, and occupying a floor space of 637 square metres.

The former Methodist Church Chapel will be knocked down to make way for the development, located opposite the Auckland Town Hall.

Private property developer Equity Growth Trust part of the Conrad Properties Group - which has developed some of Auckland's biggest inner-city residential apartment blocks, is developing the site.

The site will be known as Queens Court, and is scheduled to open at the end of 2012.

It sold for more than $25 million in 2008 to Korean investor Prince Corporation, which went into receivership last year.

The news comes less than a month after Statistics New Zealand said seasonally adjusted electronic card transactions fell 1.2 per cent in December from November.

Weak figures for sales made using credit and debit cards in the run-up to Christmas were seen as an indication that retailers face further tough times ahead, economists said.

Conrad Properties Group director Jamie Hutchens said the company had taken a long-term view of New Zealand's economic recovery, forecasting that the country's retail sector would return to a healthier trading situation in the third quarter of 2011.

"This sets up the platform nicely for those businesses purchasing units within Queens Court and taking possession approximately a year later - when the economic recovery should by then be in full swing.

"Our longer-term plan for the greater site includes the construction of a multi-storey 360 unit residential apartment block between Wakefield and Airedale Streets with direct access to Queens Court," Hutchens said.

The shops range in size from four square metres through to 74 square metres, and the owners are asking for prices ranging from $185,000 to $785,000.

Some 13 of the units have street frontage directly onto Queen Street, with one fronting onto Airedale Street.

Agent Millie Liang of Bayleys said she believed funding for the development was in place.

Laing said 25 contracts had been secured for space in the development, and much of the interest had come from Chinese investors.

- NZ HERALD ONLINE

I dont like this.

Too much competition for food courts and small techy shops on Qst - and most in more central locations.

+ they are pricing the units based on projected rents - the units are being sold vacant of course.

Comment

Agent Millie Liang of Bayleys said she believed funding for the development was in place.
      She is not sure about the funding.

She also has not replied to 2 of my emails.

Probably just looking to clip the tickets of Chinese buyers who like the shiny advertising material and dont know the location particularly well.

Comment

Mostly 10-11 sq metre units. I've seen the layout and have my doubts. Seemed somewhat, um, adventurous in pricing. Didn't look like they own the building as yet.

I would be very surprised if they have funding other than of the "well if you sell $X worth of units to real people then sure we'll give you enough money to buy the building and start construction".

Comment

While shopping arcades are very popular in Asia, I've not aware of any success story of Chinese shopping arcades in Auckland.

Some failed attempts (in my opinion) are Queen's Digital World mall on ground floor at 25 Victoria St West and the multi-floor Atrium on Elliott at 21 Elliott St. Even the China Town on Ti Rakau Drive was very quiet when I visited it a couple of weeks ago. I think we just don't have the population to support this idea.

The developer and the selling agents are the only one who'll make a profit. BTW, I noticed Millie Liang switched from Ray White to Bayleys recently.

Comment

They are obviously targeting food stalls for the apartment market. How does it compare to Asian alley (aka Cat alley - not sure of actual name) on lower albert street which is pretty shocking but the food is great and always busy - lunch and dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan McIntosh View Post
              Mostly 10-11 sq metre units.
              It's going to end up like Paddys Market in Chinatown (Sydney).

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                They are obviously targeting food stalls for the apartment market. How does it compare to Asian alley (aka Cat alley - not sure of actual name) on lower albert street which is pretty shocking but the food is great and always busy - lunch and dinner.
                probably good for the 1000? students in volt then
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                  probably good for the 1000? students in volt then
                  It is Conrad, so they effectively built a residential demand for this new commercial space.

I think it will definitely work. Not sure if the price is right (haven't seen them and wouldn't know anyway). The main issue is it gong to be a high quality amenity to the city or just another piece of Conrad cra@p!

Comment

Those little units can work...you see them about the place. I just think that in this instance there are too many of them in the same space....would be too much competition from people doing essentially the same thing. On the other hand, perhaps I'm simply not imaginative enough about the uses to which a 10m2 space could be put?

Comment

Ivan - Good point. 60 is a lot. Say 10-15 go to asian food. 1-3 go to other food. 1-2 for mobile phone accessories. What do the other 40 go to??

Maybe a couple of ATM's will fill one spot?
                      Any demand for a small Forex cage? Maybe a tax refund scam shopfront?
                      2 bed massage place? (just trying to think of things that are in current malls that dont need a big foot print)

Comment

Small watchmaker/jeweller shop. Printer consumables/techy-type shops. Small offices for the internet computer component wholesalers.

Travel desk? One man immigration office?

Comment

The cheapest unit is 180k and you only need 5k deposit to start.

Comment

Are you tempted?

Are you confident in finding a tenant?

The rents are "projected" remember...

Do we have any comparisons from food courts in the area?

Comment

Well, well.....apparently 43 units contracted out of 60 so far.

Up to $985,000 for an 11m2 unit.

I will take my hat off to them if they can get this off the ground and the purchasers actually settle. Sincerely, actually....would be great to see more developments about the place.

Comment

Working...
                              X