• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't buy, house prices are set to fall

Hi Guys

here is the latest on talking down the market:

Don't buy, house prices are set to fall

by Anne Gibson

First-home buyers are being warned to stay out of the housing market as property prices are set to fall.

Bank of New Zealand chief economist Tony Alexander has predicted a 10 per cent drop in the next three years and Westpac economist Donna Purdue has predicted a 5 per cent drop this year.

Keen buyers should cool their heels and continue paying rent to take advantage of the market, Mr Alexander suggested.

House prices rose 55 per cent in the past three years, but rents were up by less than 10 per cent.

"In the previous housing boom, from 1993-97, both rents and house prices broadly rose together," he said. "This time only house prices have moved strongly."

Mr Alexander cited tumbling net migration, which had gone from a record 12-month gain of 43,000 people in May 2003 to just 12,800 in January.

He also said sales figures from Auckland's Barfoot & Thompson showed the average sale price fell from $443,000 in January to $429,000 last month, if one large sale was excluded.

The capacity for Auckland house prices to fall was much less than that of other regions, particularly Nelson, the Hawkes Bay and Taranaki, where the price drops would be steepest, he said.

"But young Auckland home buyers looking at gearing themselves up to the hilt should wait," he said.

Donna Purdue said Westpac forecast a 5 per cent drop in house prices this year.

But competitive mortgage rates at the end of last year had given the market a second wind, delaying the predicted slow-down, she said.

Next year, prices would continue falling because of higher interest rates, low migration and increased supply of housing from record construction.

ANZ National Bank chief economist John McDermott was more guarded. "The market is defying gravity and it's had a good run but it can't keep being repeated. To say everybody should rent is overdoing it. People buy houses for reasons other than simply as an investment."

Bryan Thomson, chief executive of the 170-office Harcourts, hit back at criticism of the housing market, and particularly the Reserve Bank's attempts to cool it.

"Moves by the bank to slow the market by lifting interest rates appear to be having little effect apart from the impact on our exporters," he said. "The residential property market is driven by several factors, including job security and income."

Listings in Harcourts' northern region, which includes Auckland, fell for the second month in a row last month. But prices were up from an average $328,000 in February last year to $398,000 last month.

Auckland investment adviser David McEwen last month warned clients about residential property, saying signals such as overheated prices and low rental yields were cause for concern.
    News source:
    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

As more bad news appears on the front page of NZ Herald, I hope more good deals will become available.

Comment

As most of the doom gloom articles you see on property...it seems very Auckland base. What are peoples thoughts on the rest of the country?

Thames and Te Aroha have blown outta proportion in prices. How many people can afford $250K +++ houses Or more like $300k houses.

That is just about all that is on the market.

I reckon all those who could stretch themselves have done so....alot of the rest selling their houses to cash in on high prices are gonna miss out soon by my reckoning, because people have generally spent all they can afford in the fear and frenzy.

I hope I am right because I am struggling to find that 1st IP.

Everyone elses thoughts?
      How do you eat an Elephant?
      One Bite at a Time!! (Source: Spaceman)

Comment

AustinWong
        Keep looking and be prepared - the person who puts in the most effort will see the best oportunities when they appear. But be prepared, and act quickly when they do appear.
        Julian
        Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

I really wonder where these people find their data to write rubbish like this. I get a little disappointed that some people will take all this to heart and do something really foolish with their money.
          Meanwhile as for that advice for young people to not buy their first home and continue renting. Well that sounds great to me having more demand for rentals will keep the pressure on rents.
          I have had four top quality people contact me today asking if I have a nice three bedroom house to let for around $300 pw or slightly less.
          You know what I do not have one single house like this. Everything is full.
          This weeks special is a nice large furnished home whilst owners are off for 6 months, a little 3 bedroom house that is accessed by a hideous long set of stairs, and a 4 bedroom in a less desirable area.
          The other 150 flats and houses are full of paying tenants who want to stay. So with demand like this, how on earth does anyone sitting in front of a computer screen in distant towns living in a fools paradise dare suggest they know more than us landlords working at the coal face.
          Whilst even babes can utter wise words from time to time I just wonder how smart and financially successful these "experts" are.

Glenn

Comment

Glenn

I worked out a long time ago the so called experts often get it all wrong. I have a savings scheme that I pay monthly into that the (very large investment company) experts then invest in a mixed portfolio of shares, property etc.

Last year I got my statement back and they managed to actually lose 70% of the value of my monthly contributions for the year!! Then two weeks later the same company sent me one of those computer generated letters to ask if I would like to increase my contributions for more than the inflation adjusted rate at present I am paying in.. (It beggars belief!). No thanks I think I can manage my investments a lot better than these so called experts!!!

LK

Comment

Casually driving along the road on Sunday I saw an open home. So I stopped and had a look see. Well habits ..you know. Just can't help myself.

So any way I wandered in and the house was nicely presented. A three bedder with garage and car port. They wanted $189k for it. The GV was $117k. Probably not much of an indication in most towns but in Wanganui it's a bit different. I have a property with a GV at about that range that I purchased a year ago. I paid $85k. Note the difference.

The message is that stupid prices are now being paid by people who don't know the market and the real estates people are more than happy to cash in on naive people who are trying to get ahead.

Personally I hope all the young people do delay purchasing their first property. I'm sure I can find a place for them to rent.
              Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

Manawatu Property Investors' Association

Comment

loads of great deals

I don't know what people are complaining about, I think there has been money to be made in this market while it was obviously over heated.
                And now that it seems to be cooling off in some areas there are more deals than you can shake a stick at.
                I have just cashed out so I can get my hands on some of them, I have been doing 6-10 refurb and sells per year for the last 3 years and been making about $30,000 each one.

Maybe it's the Lower Hutt market I don't know but if you can't find a deal at the moment you are not looking hard enough.

The best time to be into this market is always yesterday.

Comment

I agree with janesco, I wouldn't buy in this market unless I really knew the market. Looking around prices are just silly in many cases, less experienced purchasers could easily get burned. Agents know it and are cashing in while they can.

At the end of the day leading economists are intelligent educated people who have dedicated their lives to such issues, doesn't mean they are always right (Einstein didn't get everything right, Dr's don't always get things right etc etc) but I'm sure they are trying their best to provide sound advice based on the available facts. Obviously some are better than others but with a bit of common sense its pretty easy to spot the good ones. I would say Tony Alexander falls into the ‘good ones’ category but I’m no expert.

If you don't like the economists don't listen to them, you can be that extra special smart person who knows better. But blind armchair criticism doesn't help anyone, what’s a "fools paradise" supposed to mean? And what does sitting in front of a computer matter? Einstein wrote “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies” sitting in front of a piece of paper.

Comment

So what do you folks think about the trend for the rest of the market? As this is only an article indicative of the Auckland market.
                    How do you eat an Elephant?
                    One Bite at a Time!! (Source: Spaceman)

Comment

Well folks I signed four tenancies today. All new tenants were unusually optomistic and really nice. Believe it or not every single one was trading up to a more expensive tenancy. Hows this for a vote of confidence in the market by the customers who have to sweat for their living and put their hard won money into my pocket.
                      I see no evidence that things are bad.
                      If I can fill all the houses with rent paying tenants then we are onto a winner.

Comment

Roll on the Gloom headlines!!
                        As RK always says Gloom = Boom for investors.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkS
                          Roll on the Gloom headlines!!
                          As RK always says Gloom = Boom for investors.
                          Well said!!

Comment

Wooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo things are starting to happen all right..scanning the Christchurch Press property for sale this morning (as I always do)..along with Realtor mags etc.. I note among the areas I study the following... House in Avonside was asking $330k last week, this week $298k, flat in St Albans about a month ago asking $169k now its offers over $149k, house in Linwood was neg over $229k now asking $210k.... my heart is starting to beat faster the good times are a coming.....
                            We All Make Mistakes Said The Hedgehog As He Climbed Off The Scrubbing Brush !!

Comment

Also seems that some investors are starting to dump parts of their portfolio.

Comment

Working...
                              X