How to remove silicone sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove silicone sealer

Had to remove the vanity again from the bathroom we are doing up. I was not happy with the finish on sealer, it was not smoothed out neatly and then the painter sweep the window ledge above to paint. Silicone had not gone off had it and stuck in it!!! So anyway I pulled it out, had to run a knife threw it. Now my question is how do I remove the silicone from seratone wall lining. I a got a new knife blade and slid it carefully over the lining. Now I am left with a thin layer of silicone on the wall. If nothing will remove it, I will just move masking tape out a smidgen an reseal over the top.I moved the vanity to tidy up the bath lip/wallboard join and the kickboard/wall lining intersection. No room, only a hundred mill gap, maybe we should have hold off on the plumber, but everyone wanted to work in bathroom 1.7m x 1.5m at the same time.Now I get to tidy up after every one is gone.

I have used a razor blade and just slide it flat along the silicone that you are trying to remove to get rid of the worse of it. Or use of those razor blader scrapers for ceramic stove tops. Then use some methylated spirits and a rag to get rid of the residue.
    Lisa

Comment

Meth and rag or scrapers. Just be careful not to damage the wall.

Regards
      Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Property Man View Post
        Meth and rag or scrapers. Just be careful not to damage the wall.

Regards
        Aaron
        I heard Meth labs can damage the wall too.

Comment

you can buy silicone remover stuff from Bunnings etc. I didn't think meths removed silicone?

Comment

If it's fresh I thought Turps removed it. Instructions will be on the silicone tube.

I can highly recommend the silicon remover though. You remove as much of the silicon as you can with a knife/scraper etc then spread the remover over the silicon. Make sure you follow the safety instructions though as it's pretty noxious stuff.

When the silicon remover has done it's job the silicon is pretty much destroyed and quite easy to remove.

Comment

Sellys Silicon Remover, have a look around at your local Building supply

When I was at PM I had it ordered in on the shelf no one brought it for months until a builder I know tried it. He said it was brilliant, brought the rest of it and told the other builders. Couldn't order anymore in cause they had non in stock.

Try that.

Otherwise use a blade.

Comment

silicone sealer remover worked a treat. trowel it on and it makes it go powdery. Scrape it off and wipe it up with meths. Easy. Every toolbox should have some.

Comment

Working...
                X