Today's Test : Climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Test : Climate

Q1. In as few words as possible, compare and contrast these medium term weather reports.

Q2. Based on these reports, what would you do if you were a Northland famer?

NZ Herald 3/12/2010:

La Nina heatwave sweeps the country
    New Zealand is in for a long, hot summer as La Nina hits our shores, says the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (Niwa).

Already, temperatures have soared across the country in late November, a pattern likely to continue until March, principal scientist James Renwick said today.

"In November, pretty much all of the country, the South Island and most of the North Island away from the coast, was quite a bit warmer than normal. Over summer, we're expecting things to be on the warmer side in most places," he told NZPA.

He said the current warm weather pattern - along with another La Nina heatwave in the late 80s - was the strongest in about 50 years.
    NZ Herald 7/12/2010:

The forecast: wettest summer in 21 years
    The North Island is in for the wettest summer in 21 years - ending the recent dry spell which broke numerous heat records.

Weather Watch chief analyst Philip Duncan said the La Nina weather pattern which New Zealand was experiencing at the moment would bring heavy rain to the upper North Island.

"There has been all this talk about droughts, but really we have the wrong ingredients for a drought, although arguably we've had the right start to it."

The La Nina weather pattern has been warming oceans in the Pacific and warm oceans guarantee rain, he said.

"We've been experiencing all of the other symptoms of La Nina, except the rain which will be coming soon."

If this summer follows the pattern of the La Nina of 1988-89, the upper North Island and Auckland could expect to see drizzly weather and "pretty heavy rain" by the end of January, he said.

"Put it this way, if we don't have heavy rain by the end of January weather forecasters and scientists need to closely look at how we predict these events, because there's obviously something wrong."

This is good news for Northland farmers who are struggling with the extremely dry conditions.
    DFTBA

Hot and wet, that makes sense. No need to visit the tropics.

Comment

1. Hot and dry. Wet and wet. Take your pick.
      2. Poke my head out the door and look at the sky to see if it's sunny or rainy.

When it's the weekend and I've plans for the beach, I'll go for option 1. When my grass needs watering, I'll go with option 2.

I thought the same thing when I read today's article, Cube. It's ridiculous! But I figure there is nothing I can do about what comes out of the sky, so there's no point in getting worked up about it. I'm not a farmer though.
      Lisa

Comment

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind . . .

Comment

Niwa is seeing increasing El nino patterns forming, meaning a hot dry summer is probably coming to NZ's east coast, Niwa principal scientist forecaster Chris Brandolino says. This means there will be "above average" temperatures, less rainfall on the east, and drier soil conditions.
          Bugger. It's raining hard today. Yesterday was wet. Last Saturday was wet. Tomorrow's guesscast is for it to be wet.

NIWA is wet.

Comment

Yeah.
            These are the people who claim the globe is warming.
            They're such liars.

Comment

Lying scientists with their fake measuring devices.

You'll be buying some low-lying coastal property then I take it?
              Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                Yeah.
                These are the people who claim the globe is warming.
                They're such liars.
                So it isn't warming?
                The ice sheet isn't melting at greater rates?
                Artic ice isn't getting less and less?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                  You'll be buying some low-lying coastal property then I take it?
                  Would love to buy something on the beachfront at Mt Maunganui.
                  Do you think the prices will drop a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                    So it isn't warming?
                    The ice sheet isn't melting at greater rates?
                    Artic ice isn't getting less and less?
                    They said it would be a hot, dry summer with less rainfall.
                    How credible is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                      They said it would be a hot, dry summer with less rainfall.
                      How credible is that?
                      Ah - the Trump understanding issue.
                      Climate change is long term but if the weather is cold one day then global warming must be a lie.

Are you saying that they are lying that the ice sheet is melting?
                      You can now sail around the northwest passage ALOT mor often than ever before.
                      One great big conspiracy.

Comment

Wayne,
                        Q. What section is this thread in, on the PropertyTalk website?
                        A. Forum Funnies - Make us laugh, post something that relieves the stresses of being a property investor.

Why don't you Google 'humour'?

Comment

Working...
                        X