tenant wants reduction of rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tenant wants reduction of rent

Last week the wind blew the roof over the deck of our property partially down,blocking the back door.
    When our tenant came back from overseas she went balistic.
    we have proptly gotten on to the insurance co. Builders have quoted,insurance guy has looked,but tenant wants a rent reduction because she says it hudgely compromises the house[they havent been able to use the back door and deck since fri.]
    Her hubby works out of the sleepout in back and has to walk from frount door now instead of through the back. Obviously we couldnt help this happening, and I consider this more of an inconvience than anything else. The house is still totally habitable[except for back deck] and the wheels are rolling on insurance[there not much more we can do at present] Does anyone have any clear suggestions on what really merits a rent reduction???

Tell the tenant that she can spend $20 and apply to the tenancy tribunal for compensation.

Even better, put this to her in writting, attached to a rent increase.

Comment

There is no way based on that scenario I would give a rent reduction. I would only be doing it as a gesture of goodwill but nothing else. Based on your story, I would be giving no acts of goodwill.

Regards
      Aaron

Comment

I think theyre being totally unreasonable and lazy, youre doing the best you can and promptly to. Whats the big deal in walking a little further until its fixed. I wouldnt reduce the rent.

Comment

Take SuperDad's advice. Tell the tenant to apply to TT - bet you she won't though.
          Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Unfortunately it looks like you are dealing with the type of tenant that will use any excuse to get money out of you for any reason at all. Aren't they lovely to deal with??!! I agree, tell them to apply to TT, they are probably too lazy to do that anyway and I imagine that as you can show you have done all you can, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

This reminds me of the thread about the tenants wanting compensation because of the Chch earthquake, what is it with these people?

Comment

Recently had a tenant whose shower door broke, got the usual texts about inconvenience, etc. Before he actually asked for anything I took round a doz. beer plus gave him the insurers contact & offered my apologies. Took a week to repair but never complained, well worth the cost of the beer.

Comment

I'd send her a 90 day notice... Pre-emptive strike. Can't stand moany tenants.

It will happen again...
                Need a website or anything to do with online marketing? Visit Christchurch Web Design.

Comment

I'm a bit of a softy....hence using property managers - so if I was managing the rental and the relationship has been really good so far I'd probably give a one week reduction of $20 or do a small job that I'd been putting off....probably the latter as it is 'maintenance' so can be claimed.

Cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Just been to a seminar on the RTAA

There are many more fines for tenants like this. Get your head around them and approach the tenant with knowledge.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                    X