• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Torbay, Auckland
    Posts
    3,887

    Default

    My question might have been different to the original Op.

    Its definitely the 2 vents coming out of the pipe right next to the toilet.

    Can I cap it or not Wayne ?

    The wife is giving me hell about this pongy stinking situation rather than fixing it herself so its a stinky situation I want to excrement myself out of
    Paul Magill B.com
    Bluekiwi Property Consulting

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Coming out of the toilet then change to a closed coupled unit and you can remove it Blue. I've done several.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
    Coming out of the toilet then change to a closed coupled unit and you can remove it Blue. I've done several.
    Close coupled doesn't change the need for the air vent.
    Look at the nice picture that was posted.
    If you don't have an air vent, on long pipe runs, the stuff going down the pipe can suck the water out of the trap (the u bend).
    If that happens you will get more smell.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluekiwi View Post
    My question might have been different to the original Op.

    Its definitely the 2 vents coming out of the pipe right next to the toilet.

    Can I cap it or not Wayne ?

    The wife is giving me hell about this pongy stinking situation rather than fixing it herself so its a stinky situation I want to excrement myself out of
    You can't cap anything - this is sanitary plumbing and you aren't legally allowed to do anything.
    The vent should be up through the roof so why is it smelly?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Torbay, Auckland
    Posts
    3,887

    Default

    As I said earlier, it exits the roof close to the HRV inlet so the smells are sucked back into the house into our children's bedrooms.

    And on calm days and nights where their is not much wind, and we are protected by trees from wind also and in a little valley as well, the really bad sewerage smells fall back down to our entrance court and front door and also to our area by the laundry room and back door.

    My theory is that because we are at the lowest part of the sewer system for this area, we kindly get the smells from the toilets and sewers of about a score of houses.
    Last edited by Bluekiwi; 21-08-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Paul Magill B.com
    Bluekiwi Property Consulting

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Close coupled doesn't change the need for the air vent.
    Well according to plumbers it does. Read my quote from the plumbing site.

    "If your old toilet has an air-vent coming out of the side of it and up through the roof, we may be able to get rid of this pipe altogether when installing your new toilet, depending on how close the toilet is to your main drain vent outside. Many of the new close-coupled toilet suites don’t have an air-vent component built in to them so need to be reasonably close to a drain vent so the toilet will flush properly."

    I've done several now you can remove the vent completely.
    Last edited by Bobsyouruncle; 21-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluekiwi View Post
    As I said earlier, it exits the roof close to the HRV inlet so the smells are sucked back into the house into our children's bedrooms.

    And on calm days and nights where their is not much wind, and we are protected by trees from wind also and in a little valley as well, the really bad sewerage smells fall back down to our entrance court and front door and also to our area by the laundry room and back door.

    My theory is that because we are at the lowest part of the sewer system for this area, we kindly get the smells from the toilets and sewers of about a score of houses.
    If it is the terminal vent then make it taller?
    Unless a drainlayer (or plumber) says it can be capped it can't be.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
    Well according to plumbers it does. Read my quote from the plumbing site.

    "If your old toilet has an air-vent coming out of the side of it and up through the roof, we may be able to get rid of this pipe altogether when installing your new toilet, depending on how close the toilet is to your main drain vent outside. Many of the new close-coupled toilet suites donít have an air-vent component built in to them so need to be reasonably close to a drain vent so the toilet will flush properly."

    I've done several now you can remove the vent completely.
    So the quote says
    - may be able to remove the vent
    - many close couple suites don't have the vent "so need to be reasonably close to a drain vent"

    So it says that, if you don't need a vent we can get rid of it.
    But if you do need a vent then the close-coupled without vent won't suit.
    It doesn't say that close-couple solves the issue (like has an internal vent).

    I have had, just recently, installed a new toilet (close-coupled of course) that needed a vent. The pipe from the toilet waste has a junction with a tee of it for a smaller pipe that went up the inside of the wall (new house) as a vent.
    The sewer pipe length to the main drain was too long to not have the vent. It was an air 'inlet' vent to stop the suction, not a terminal vent to stop gas build-up.

    It all depends on what the vent is for as to what you can do with it.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Correct. So typically air vents can be removed, that's all I'm saying :-)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
    Correct. So typically air vents can be removed, that's all I'm saying :-)
    Often can be.
    But each case needs to be checked.
    Seems that way back they nearly always put the vents in to each toilet - maybe the requirements changed as pipes got bigger or something.

    But close-coupled has nothing to do with it. You can buy far-coupled (not the right word) that don't have the vent - they are probably more common than vented ones.
    The vent is a seperate issue from close or not coupled.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Killing roots in sewer pipe
    By skid in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 22-07-2014, 09:38 AM
  2. How Not to Unload a Concrete Pipe
    By muppet in forum Forum Funnies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-01-2012, 06:34 PM
  4. 2 toilet vs 1 toilet+1 bath
    By greengreen in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-06-2011, 05:51 PM
  5. Frustrating Gen Y Tenants grrrr (vent).
    By blacksheep15 in forum Tenant Stuff (NZ)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 23-03-2010, 07:29 PM
  6. Pipe mix-ups in houses pollute rivers and beaches
    By muppet in forum Regions News (NZ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 07:22 AM
  7. Pipe Nightmares
    By muppet in forum World in General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-01-2009, 08:33 AM
  8. Vent covers in block/brick house
    By drelly in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-09-2008, 07:39 AM
  9. Build over Stormwater pipe
    By ShockWave in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •