No announcement yet.

What's this toilet vent pipe thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe but the plumbers I have used all said similar to "get a close coupled back to wall unit then we can ditch the vent".
    As I said earlier mine have all been upstairs in double story so that may make it easier I don't know.

Comment

I admire the energy and commitment to providing me an answer Wayne and Dean.
      Plumber here in an hour or so.

Comment

Haha! Then you'll know for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
          I admire the energy and commitment to providing me an answer Wayne and Dean.
          Plumber here in an hour or so.
          So what was the verdict Paul?

Comment

Okay the toilet vent by the entrance court was just a toilet one and not close enough to the terminal vent to be close coupled.
            And it couldn't be capped as it needs to suck air in for the toilets to operate.
            But apparently it does not need to have air going out, so he has put a valve on it which only lets air in and not out.
            And we just need to monitor the toilets in case enough air is not getting in.

Try this and monitor and see if it works, if not may have to try something else.

The other vent by the main bathroom and toilet by the clothes line back door cant be modified at all, as its the main terminal vent.
            So we make do with that, as it cant be extended either.
            But it was the front door and entrance that was the main issue anyway.

The sewer smells in the bathroom, shouldn't happen if the traps are filled with water.
            The smell was coming up through the bath, which we don't use, so he said to use it now and then and make sure the trap has water in it.
            When he checked it, their wasn't water.
            So we run bath now and then, and also keep the plug in, and hopefully no smells.

This guy was better than his smarty pants boss who just thought it was a bit of a joke.

Comment

When he checked it, their wasn't water.
              Yeah man, the traps have to have water in them.

When I used to sell/lease real estate, you'd get some office spaces where in summer, the water in the U bends of the toilets would evapourate, bringing in unbelievably stinky smells into a closed space. Hard to let/sell those ones. So I'd sometimes get there early and flush all the loos and open the windows...
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

My understanding is that the older vent systems ran right up through the eaves of the roof allowing gas to escape. But now with the new systems you can have a shorter pipe vent with a pressure valve on top. We had a new toilet added a few years back and that is how the plumber implemented the vent , i.e made it short with a pressure valve on top.

Bobsyouruncle may have been referring to the external water overflow pipe valve located in the older cisterns which took overflow out through the wall via a small pipe , these types of cisterns are obsolete now as the overflow mechanism is internally built into the modern cistern allowing any excess water to simply run down into the pan.
                Last edited by mrsaneperson; 08-02-2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Even with the cap.

Still a lot of nasty smells and gases in our front entry courtyard.

Back to the plumber.

As we are the low point in the neighbourhood system we luckily get the gasses from everyone and not just our house.
                  Maybe I will block all incoming ...........

Comment

This video relates to the US plumbing code but explains the theory and problems that can occur with water seals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2o8upCxcqA

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                      This video relates to the US plumbing code but explains the theory and problems that can occur with water seals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2o8upCxcqA
                      Great video very informative. If a vanity or any water device remains unused for a period of time the water in the s trap evaporates and allows the sewer gas to come into your room. Solution to periodically run the water into any water appliance to put water in the s-trap again.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                        My understanding is that the older vent systems ran right up through the eaves of the roof allowing gas to escape. But now with the new systems you can have a shorter pipe vent with a pressure valve on top. We had a new toilet added a few years back and that is how the plumber implemented the vent , i.e made it short with a pressure valve on top.
                        The end of the pipe run must have a proper terminal vent (out through the roof).
                        Other fittings may need the relief valve you mention if they have certain length pipe runs (to stop the trap being evacuated).

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          The end of the pipe run must have a proper terminal vent (out through the roof).
                          Other fittings may need the relief valve you mention if they have certain length pipe runs (to stop the trap being evacuated).
                          The plumber told me this is not the case when a short vent and pressure valve can be used which allows air in can suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                            The plumber told me this is not the case when a short vent and pressure valve can be used which allows air in can suffice.
                            Interesting that your plumber would say that - or maybe there is some confusion as to what he really meant.
                            The end of the sewer line MUST have a vent to the air to prevent accumulation of gases in the sewer line. This would be at the end or highest point. This is called a 'discharging stack vent'.
                            A vented cap doesn't do that - it allows air to be drawn in to prevent suction evacuating the trap but doesn't allow air out to vent. This is a 'relief vent'.
                            So two quite different purposes.

So adding a toilet may only require a relief vent but the installation must have a stack or terminal vent somewhere.

Have a read of this

Comment

Every drain needs a vent open to atmosphere taken off the drain before the last fixture. A toilet can run in a branch drain off the main drain up to 10m without the need of any additional vent.

I suspect no vent is required whatsoever for this smelly toilet mentioned above. Back in the day plumbing was installed using a fully ventilated standard. Every sanitary fixture was vented. Not the case now days. The smell must come from a broken water seal. My money would be on a partially blocked sewer drain.

Comment

just imagine a tenancy where you gave a no smoking clause, so the tenant goes into the bathroom, lights up and before they can open the window the whole room turns blue for a second and the window and door are blown out

tenant stagers out without eyebrows then calls the fire brigade

Pity I can't uptick that Eri.
                                Last edited by Viking; 09-02-2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X