• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Questions for all.

A few questions for you all.

1. What inspired you to start investing?

2. Why Property?

3. What is your long term goal?

Regards,
    Marcus.

Hi all,

James Bond! Throughout my life I have watched James Bond movies and always loved the amazing locations. I thought to myself wouldn't it be cool to go to those places and hang out.

2. Why Property?

Rich Dad Poor Dad and a relative who got into property investing. Plus I like physically seeing my assets and property is more tangible than shares for me. I also seem to understand property more than shares.

6 months in the South of France and the other 6 months in Piahia!

Best Regards

Marc

Default my views / reasons

1. To create a future that I could control + increase time freedom

2. Property is just one investment vehicle - it is the most stable - but not the greatest return (% wise)

3. To be financially secure and still have the time to do whatever I want whenever I want + I would also like to help people get out of debt and stay out of debt.

Money is not the root of all evil - ignorance is !!

a. I had some spare cash. Had to do something useful with it.

2. Why Property?
    a. Because my brother had recently purchased one, and it looked like a good idea. Went into it completely blind, but luckily mad a not-too-bad first purchase.

a. Freedom to choose to work or not.

In the first instance it was a very unresearched way to own a house in a place i might live in. luckily i just fell on my feet and it was a worthwhile purchase.

Secondly my husband got a job in a tax free environment and we realised that it would be very easy to waste money and i started to investigate the general idea of investing. My husband then got to read and we formulated a plan which focuses initially on property.

2. Why property?

with the combined experience of property and the stockmarket we decided we could invest more prudently in property than stocks.

3. Our long term goal?

The freedom to live life in a manner that we have chosen. This includes the freedom of time.

1. Some friends we met through the Pre-schoolers circuit, who have been doing it for 10 years.

2. Because, after investigating, it all seemed to make sense.

3. "Retire Young. Retire Rich"!! - More explicitly: To be wealthy in terms of "How long can you maintain your current lifestyle if you lose you job tomorrow?"

Hi there,

Great thread!

1: The accountant telling us we should be happy paying X amount of tax, even though we were struggling and going backwards on our mortgage. :twisted:
    I kept this accountant as a friend, but not for business.

2: I was attracted initially to the negative gearing hype because I wanted to minimise tax. (I should point out, that I don't mind paying tax, but not at a rate where we are funding the government's lavish lifestyle, when we can't even make ends meet on a good wage - that made me very angry) So property seemed something that I understood instinctively. I could look at a house and recognize potential. I could see land and imagine buildings on it... Property always seemed to be 'safe as houses' and I wanted to be secure.

3: My long term goal is to create a nestegg for my family, so they never have to go without or have to worry about finance. As my children have different needs, I need to be certain that we can always find money for the extra services they require. I would also like to do charity work and fundraising (on a big scale) at some stage. I don't feel I have the time to do this yet, but there will come a time, where money will not be an issue and I can devote myself to helping others and making a difference to people's lives in a good way.

Cheers
    Soosh
    Positive breeds Positives!

>1. Some friends we met through the Pre-schoolers circuit, who have been doing it for 10 years.
    You did start early!

1. Browsing in a bookstore and stumbled across Building Wealth Through Residential Real Estate (Dolf De Roos & Jan Somers), a year or so later my best friend in NZ was reading RDPD, which I also read. The book Motley Fool UK Investment Guide really got me started - that is a light-hearted but informative book about how to do alright for yourself without getting shafted by financial professionals, so for the average Joe more than the serious investor.

2. Why property?
    * Highest leverage and "safe as houses"
    * Can buy below market value
    * Can add control the value (ie by renovating)
    * Lasts forever
    * Is fun like dollshouses only bigger and for grownups

3. My long term goal is a stable passive income spread over several countries which allows my partner and I to live a tax-efficient, time-rich global lifestyle.

My only problem is I don't know what I'd do with all that time because I really like buying property. I am currently looking for other forms of income to support my property habit. Also looking for more ways to make my life tax deductible (esp travel).

Excellent idea for a thread.

Leanne

This may sound nasty but my parents. I love them to death but they have struggled finacially for as long as I can remember. Now they are nearing the 50 yr bracket, life doesn't seem to be getting any easier for them.

I knew when I first started in the workforce that there must be an easier way to earn money (legally that is!!!).

2. Why property?

For us property is easier to understand compared to shares. My wife and I also like the fact we can physically see our investment and have control on how it's run. We have shares but only through managed funds.

We only got into property when I got a work transfer from Auckland and decided to rent our house. It was a steep learning curve and we've learnt alot since then (5 yrs ago).

3. Long term goal?

Our goal is to earn enough passive income that matches my salary. I love my job and don't plan to leave until my 50's (I can hear your gasps from here!!!), therefore my salary will go on fun stuff and other investments (but I'm hoping mostly fun stuff!!!). Once this is achieved the boss will stop her 'paid' work and continue with her charity work.

Also, to have the means to provide financial help for our family if needed.

Wada

Hello!

I love my job and don't plan to leave until my 50's (I can hear your gasps from here!!!
    yep I gasped wada!

Best Regards

Marc

Thread Information