Bad form I say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad form I say

I was today reading an article by fellow guru Kieran Trass called “The Truth Is Out... Don’t Throw Your Pearls To Swine!”

And I was shocked to think that others in our industry would treat him so!

When I heard that he had been “blatantly misled into presenting at the seminar under false pretenses”, I firstly thought that if only you had stuck with the Faculty at New Zealand Property Gurus this would never have happened.

After rocking the house in Christchurch Kieran couldn’t wait to join the same speakers at the Auckland event, which he also raved about.

We pride ourselves on our transparency and collaboration so think it is reprehensible that someone would be lying just to access a database.

Actually I’m sure now that I think about it that I also spoke at the event that Kieran is probably referring to, after the NZPG events, so if it is them that it very sad.

Any way I can only say I am glad that we are able to support speakers in New Zealand and internationally without these issues and we look forward to having Kieran at future events.

I guess the only funny thing about Kierans article is his negative reference to presenters speaking about their religious beliefs.

The only time I can recall this happening, other than Steve Mcknight and Dean Letfus, who both mention it without offending, is when Kieran spoke at some length about his buddhist/new age beliefs at NZ Property Gurus

Stick with the best Kieran, then you won’t get burned!!

We pride ourselves on our transparency and collaboration so think it is reprehensible that someone would be lying just to access a database.

Umm not completely transparent - you forgot to sign your name or maybe it's a guessing game....just who is this NZ Prop Guru?

Cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Oh you mean this Dean Letfus?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/3929...does-US-u-turn and comments from a highly respected member of the property investment community: http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=22

Sounds like the Kieran gives us loads of food for thought.

I have also read quite a bit about the Property Guru people at the http://www.thepaepae.com/

Comment

Thanks for giving me a chuckle New Zealand Property Guru.

I'm sure if you goad Kieran enough he will expressly state who he was referring to, although it seems obvious to me. You might want to be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Seems he's trying to sling some mud so maybe he should say who he's referring to?

Must admit the bit about using religion to gain trust was funny.

Mt Trass also did an event in Christchurch that I attended were he gained audience trust by talking about his not for profit initiatives.

Either way you have to give him credit for getting widespread publicity with this marketing initiative, but it seems to have back fired.
          Can he truly say he didn't know what other products were being sold at these events?
          Last edited by Perry; 17-08-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfempty View Post
            he gained audience trust by talking about his not for profit initiatives.
            Ah yes, its important that everyone should know about his anonymous good work

Comment

Seems to be becoming a popular approach for gaining trust unfortunately.

I have no personal knowledge of Keiran doing it so this is a general comment only, but I always feel conflicted when someone does "good works" based on what appears to be self interest. On one hand I suppose it is better than them doing no good works at all, but on the other it always feels a bit dirty (for lack of a better word).

I take from your post that despite your view of Kieran you agree with what he said halfempty?

Comment

Originally posted by Xav View Post
                I take from your post that despite your view of Kieran you agree with what he said halfempty?

What part of it?

Comment

This bit in particular, since you reference it without seeming to object to it:
                  Originally posted by halfempty View Post
                  the bit about using religion to gain trust

Comment

Maybe it's just human nature...to seek something in return for... joining Associations, clubs, networks, giving to charity, going to church etc.

There are very few altruistic people around and we're not likely to find them running businesses, or in politics etc.

Cheers,

Donna
                    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Anonymous endorsement?

I enjoy satire as much as the next PT member but I agree with Donna:

Originally posted by donna View Post
                      Umm not completely transparent - you forgot to sign your name or maybe it's a guessing game....just who is this NZ Prop Guru?
                      Whoever this guy/gal is … posting an anonymous endorsement and (do I read it right?) anonymously claiming to be part of the 'NZ Property Gurus' outfit … while trumpeting transparency? It’s got to be a prank, or a spoof, surely?

...Any way I can only say I am glad that we are able to support speakers in New Zealand and internationally without these issues and we look forward to having Kieran at future events.
                      "We?" Is that purporting to be a statement from an official anonymous spokesman? Not exactly reassuring.

Overall, just not clever enough. FAIL.

Peter Aranyi
                      Blog: www.thePaepae.com
                      Peter Aranyi
                      Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

This bit in particular, since you reference it without seeming to object to it:
                        "the bit about using religion to gain trust...."

Well it depends how it's done.

If it's added to allow the attendees to get to know the speaker or to explain how they think or how they came about to be where they are today then I don't really see the issue.
                        Although I don't think that Religion and wealth creation are very ready bedfellows in the arena of better explaining yourself I think they can be mentioned together.

But if the presenter is using it as an angle to inspire trust or trustworthiness then that's a different story, and this is really subjective to the person who is sitting in the audience.
                        But then I think most people can see through this.

The issue here seems to be if Kieran Trass is the pot calling the kettle black.

He said in his letter "Trust me… I’m Religious / a Christian / Churchgoer / (fill in the blank) or have some other affiliation which means I’m ethical"

When he himself has spoken in detail about his beliefs from the stage, centered around Buddhism.

What's more Kieren said that he had "tried very hard to protect the database members from those promoting questionable products which result in distracting property investors away from their core business of property investing"

But this is the man who did an event round the country with Phil Jones to promote his mentoring program, the same Phil Jones that was also promoting Tax Liens and Deeds.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                          Maybe it's just human nature...to seek something in return for... joining Associations, clubs, networks, giving to charity, going to church etc.

There are very few altruistic people around and we're not likely to find them running businesses, or in politics etc.

Cheers,

Donna
                          Really???

Surely the large number of the posters on your site are giving away something for free?

Comment

Nice post . My only comment would be that personally I don't see any distinction between comments made by the speaker "to allow the attendees to get to know the speaker or to explain how they think or how they came about to be where they are today" and comments made to induce trust on the part of the attendees.

I think Donna is right. As much as I would like to say otherwise the reality is that I am not yet as altruistically focussed as I would like to be.

It would be interesting to tally the number of people who promote some manner of business with their posts on Propertytalk (via their signature) and those who don't.

Comment

It would be interesting to tally the number of people who promote some manner of business with their posts on Propertytalk (via their signature) and those who don't.
                              I'll drink to that

SB

Comment

Working...
                              X