X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Stupid Things Landlords Ask you

10 Stupid Things Landlords Ask Before Renting to You

1.Application Fee.

The application fee is surely one of the biggest scams landlords run. Not only do landlords keep taking in applications even when they have met their quota, they keep all application fees even if they do not run any criminal or credit check on you. And on top of that, many landlords ask for both a credit report, discussed below, and an application fee. What good is the application fee when you are already giving everything the landlord needs in the form of documentation papers? So not only does the landlord charge you for renting a place, the landlord basically charges you for inquiring about it too? You would stop buying many things in life if they had a “buying fee“, but landlords make you do it regularly anytime you get interested in a place.

2.Pet Background Info.
    Last week, a potential landlord asked me the background info for my friend cat Whisper. What does his background have to do with my rental history? Yes, my cat used to be a drug addict, killed a few homeless cats on the street and sometimes sells cat treats to underage kittens. Would I still get a place if my pet has such a colorful background?

3.Personal Background.
    What does your personal life and background have to do with the place you would be living in? Landlords requiring such info are simply finding ammunition for being prejudice toward you in case they find out something about you they do not support, like your religious views, personal lifestyle, sexual orientation, political views, ethnic background and more. In the end, a landlord can use such information to simply decline your application and tell you that they found some other better candidate.

4.Bank & Credit Card company addresses and contact information.
    Another useless info that simply makes you fill out forms. Why do you have to list your bank and credit card company addresses and contact information? If you are paying the application fee, should not the landlord do some research and figure out such info themselves? How many landlords actually call, send letters or visit banks in person in order to ask questions about you? Even if they do that, which they do not, they would run into the problem of account verification, discussed in the next point.

5.Bank & Credit Card account numbers.
    This is by far one of the most pathetically useless pieces of information landlords ask you in order to simply pry into your personal life and to know more about you in terms of simply knowing your bank account number. Why is such a thing pathetic and useless? Because no bank in America will ever tell any landlord or anyone else the exact nature of or amount of money in your bank account just because that landlord or someone else has your bank account number. Why do landlords ask for such info? To either sue you in the end in case of any issues or to make you do more paperwork and make you feel very vulnerable.

6.References in addition to previous rental history.
    This is a new trend I have noticed getting an increased attention in the last few years. Landlords ask you for references in the form of your relatives, friends, co-workers and others. This is a form of being too nosy, by asking others what they think of you. What does finding out from other people about the type of character you have relate in any form to you renting a place? This is a great way to be prejudice against someone by finding out personal non-rental related things about them.

7.Credit Report.
    In America, the credit report is basically one of the most important documents of your life. It lists your social security numbers, every credit card you have ever owned, all your bank accounts, everything you have ever paid or not paid for to a lender, every place you have lived at, and much, much more. Thus, landlords asking for such information seems a great invasion of privacy and security. Why would a landlord need to know anything about those things when all they need to know is if you are not a killer who will kill other neighbors, will not damage the place you are living in, and will pay on time?

8.Your Work Details.
    This is one of the puzzling stupid things landlords ask you that is simply a characteristic of being nosy. A landlord should not care whether your work at a company involves being a hooker or the accountant. As long as you have income and work for yourself or a company, sharing specific details of what you do at work seems unnecessary.

9.Pet Deposit.
    The pet deposit is simply another way to get more money from you, by considering the pet to be an extra liability. A security deposit already exists for that, and pets are usually known to destroy furniture, and not walls. Thus, a pet deposit is simply another way for a landlord to keep more of your money in their savings account or in some investment.

10.Any deposit higher than the monthly rent amount.
    Landlords only need a deposit to either cover damages to a place or to cover a month’s rent in case a tenant simply leaves a place without giving any notice. The deposit is there to actually cover the amount of time it takes the landlord to find a replacement in such cases. Any deposit amount higher than a month’s rent is simply an abuse by the landlord to keep more money in the long run. More deposit, even if it is returned at the end of your agreement with the landlord, means less money in your overall balance and more money for investments and in the bank balance for the landlord.

Last edited by essence; 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM. Reason: Article repeated

Originally posted by Aston View Post
    1.Application Fee.
    7.Credit Report.
    9.Pet Deposit.
    10.Any deposit higher than the monthly rent amount.
    Nice copy/paste from America, but no landlord here asks for these because it's illegal to do so. Except for credit reports, which aren't commonly used in NZ like they are over there.

2.Pet Background Info.
    4.Bank & Credit Card company addresses and contact information.
    5.Bank & Credit Card account numbers.
    I have never heard of a NZ landlord asking for these things.

3.Personal Background.
    8.Your Work Details.
    These are reasonable things to ask for when you're leasing someone a very valuable asset from which it's difficult to remove them.

Comment

Landlords ask you for references in the form of your relatives, friends, co-workers and others. This is a form of being too nosy, by asking others what they think of you. What does finding out from other people about the type of character you have relate in any form to you renting a place?
      3.Personal Background.
      What does your personal life and background have to do with the place you would be living in? Landlords requiring such info are simply finding ammunition for being prejudice toward you in case they find out something about you they do not support ...
      Yep, something like your tendency to have wild parties every weekend till 3 in the morning, or your hobby of stripping down 10 vehicles at a time, or your pathological hatred of gardening, or ...

Comment

Landlords only need a deposit to either cover damages to a place or to cover a month’s rent in case a tenant simply leaves a place without giving any notice. The deposit is there to actually cover the amount of time it takes the landlord to find a replacement in such cases. Any deposit amount higher than a month’s rent is simply an abuse by the landlord to keep more money in the long run. More deposit, even if it is returned at the end of your agreement with the landlord, means less money in your overall balance and more money for investments and in the bank balance for the landlord.
        As others have said many of these things are perfectly reasonable to ask about.

Regarding deposit (which is called the bond here), this is limited to 4 weeks rent by law and must be lodged with the bond centre.

That aside, I don't quite follow the argument: "Landlords only need a deposit to either cover damages to a place or to cover a month’s rent in case a tenant simply leaves a place without giving any notice."
        Ehm well, how much is then needed to cover damages? That could be up to the replacement value of the house right...?

Most of these points just seem like yet another rant from unrealistic tenants. What was your intention with posting it here?
        High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post

What was your intention with posting it here?
          Ummm, come to think about it what was my intention in getting out of bed this morning.

Comment

Now now, this is just a property investment forum. I don't think we are ready for the really hard questions

Comment

My ll asked me many questions about what I do for a living, and even though I told her that I work from home (in a teaching profession), she still proceeded to turn the house into a building site once I had moved in....and intends to do this every year. She said that it is legal for her to do this....so she will be thanking God for the law, and I will be thanking God that I did not sign that 3 year lease which she was very pleased at the thought of me doing......

Lls ask many questions of the tenant, pity I did not ask more questions about the ll!
              Last edited by baiba; 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

I doubt that is legal Baiba. You could get rent reduction or release from a contract if the landlord is fooling with the house that you have rented without your consent.

Comment

Maintenance and repairs can be done as of right. Improvements? No.

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

10 Stupid Things Landlords Ask Before Renting to You

http://thereasoner.com/articles/gene...dlords-ask-you
                    Thanks for the heads up. I have 8 stupid things to add to my tenant check!

Comment

This is the "convenient for LLs" grey area.

Two sides of the house had borer and needed replacing and painting. Also llots of noisy paint preparation. Would have made no difference to me the tenants whether maintenance/repairs or renovation, as both are noisy and disruptive.

The repairs were extensive as the exterior had been neglected. It would have been more humane for her to move in herself and do the repairs so that she could suffer the noise, dust and disruption, and strange and unpredictable builder's appearances. They took a month of noise and disruption out of my life. I had to help them out for an hour a day, letting in builders, arranging them to use my power, moving my vehicles at their request, wondering what time they were turning up, trying to dodge having to talk to them when I was trying to get out of my driveway in the afternoon to do the school run, trying to dodge them in the morning while trying to do the school run, trying to teach at home through the noise. Having to park my car 4 blocks away and cart in my young kids and groceries on a long trek through the neighbourhood back to my door, because they liked to park their vehicles on my driveway. But this "is all legal, I checked twice" was the continued answer I recieved. How dare I complain? "We are doing this for you!" was the reply. Really?

The colour of the exterior is of no difference to me. I am paying money each week to rent the whole house in peace and privacy, and hopefully no burly old and young builders/trademen/scaffolders peering through my window daily. Never knew it was more like a flatmate situation - pretty expensive rent then for that.

I made a rather pointed "song and dance of it" one hot day when I had finally had enough of her boyfriend thumping on my french doors in my home again to order me to move my cars from my driveway yet again- that's after the translation from his broken English.

And I am usually a calm person.....

Comment

Originally posted by baiba View Post
                        And I am usually a calm person.....
                        Stop complaining and put an application in to the TT for loss of quiet enjoyment.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Isn't this a sort of re-hash from this thread?

Comment

Working...
                          X