Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window Coverings In Rental Properties - Nets, Curtains OR Blinds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Coverings In Rental Properties - Nets, Curtains OR Blinds?

The latest article by Allens Property Managers provides some good info on what works best.

When your property is ready for its final touches then installing window coverings will often be the final task prior to marketing for new tenants. Window coverings complete a property and not only help make the property look modern but they also help give prospective tenants the perception of privacy, security and warmth. Let’s face it − property is a people business and perception is the key. You have done all the hard work in presenting the rest of your property, so some thought needs to go into window coverings. This article is aimed at assisting you to make the right choices.

All landlords should provide window coverings. Gone are the old days when some landlords let tenants provide their own coverings. If you don’t have them installed then tenants will rent elsewhere. We recommend that rental properties should have cost effective, durable, modern coverings that fit each window. The location of your property (and the prospective tenant market – you should know your market) will help determine what sort of blinds/curtains you install, but there are some good guidelines to follow.

We recommend that landlords with properties out West or South (where there is often more wear and tear than in the central city) stay away from venetian blinds made of aluminium slats which although look smart, are damaged easily. The blinds and cords can be damaged as tenants clean them, or careless tenants open the windows without lifting blinds (by reaching between the slats) or the wind can cause damage to the slats. Executive properties and apartments in central Auckland may be better suited to these blinds as the properties are often not subject to the same amount of wear and tear. Vertical fabric venetians have plastic beading that keeps the blinds together and these can break easily, so the same rule applies. The one good thing about all venetians is that they are easily serviced with many companies out there providing a maintenance service. Roll down sun shade blinds are great and have a modern, clean look and are very durable but are often the most expensive choice so exceed many landlords’ budgets.

Curtains and nets seem to be the most preferred covering in most rental properties. Bedrooms require both curtains and nets whereas lounges and dining rooms can often get away with just curtains. Kitchens, toilets and laundry’s can get away with nets only. Nets in wet areas should be trimmed high so they do not hang in the vicinity of taps etc. Nets should be white and you can purchase nets with built-in zipped cuts that allow you to trim the nets to the height of your windows. Nets should be hung on cords on the inside of the window frame but not attached to the glass. Curtains should be hung on rails on the top of the window frames so when closed they hide the nets. If you invest in new curtains make sure that they are hung correctly to maximise presentation and prolong the life of the curtain.

Nets provide additional privacy when curtains are open but also allow a small amount of sunlight to shine through which has obvious benefits to your rental property. More sunlight means less moisture which has a positive effect on tenant’s health and also increases the life of all of your chattels including carpets and paintwork. Curtains should be thermal backed to provide maximum insulation. You can increase the life of your nets/curtains and blinds by tenant education and improving insulation and air flow. For example tenants should be told to regularly open windows and encourage air flow. Property owners with moisture problems can reduce these problems by installing fans and air/heat transfer systems such as HRV (Home Ventilation System) products which circulate air around the home. This will help avoid mould growth and discoloured window coverings.

We suggest that you purchase neutral colours that don’t clash with tenant’s furniture and personalities – for example, don’t choose multi coloured rainbow or pink/orange curtains. White curtains mark easily so contemporary grey/brown colours are always a good option. Presentation can be maximised by having consistency in all rooms and not different colours in every room. If your children’s bedrooms have kiddie cartoon curtains it may be worth replacing with normal curtains to increase your potential tenant market. Your property may then appeal to a wider range of tenants such as professionals or students.

Allen Realty Ltd Property Managers is an Auckland based company which offers a competitively priced property management and letting service that will take the hassle away from property investors, and improve the performance of your property or portfolio. We have a network of local neighbourhood branches across Auckland. Our comprehensive service is customised to suit individual client’s requirements. For more information on our services including landlords rights and obligations visit www.allenrealty.co.nz

Some good advice Simon.
    I agree venetians in a rental may look nice but are simply NOT suitable.

Comment

And then they still complain about the curtains and ask you to pay for new ones they choose. It is never good enough.

Jessica

Comment

Supply curtains to the dwelling. If the tenants don't like the colour/shape/length, they can take them down and put up their own - on the proviso that when they leave the tenancy they replace your curtains, or leave their ones behind (if they're better than yours!).

No curtains, no full Bond Refund.

It's quite simple really.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I have occasionally purchased curtains from tenants when they left. I don't do nets at all as I hate them. Tenants can hang their own if they like as long as they take them away when they leave. If travelling to Sydney or Melbourne check out Ikea for calico roman type blinds. Easy to carry a few back in the luggage as they are light and not too bulky. They are not high quality but are stylish and cheap enough to biff and replace between tenancies. Last ones I bought were under $AU5.

Comment

What a waste of time and effort. Put good stuff up and save yourself all the grief.
            And that's not expensive stuff either.

Comment

I'm wanting to whack up some curtains in my apartments that are nearly complete in Papakura. Can anyone recommend a place that does a good, competitively priced job out that way?
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Who puts up nets these days? Ugly, unfashionable icon of the 50's are they. I laugh in the face of net-curtain-twitching home owners.

Comment

I managed to find a good bunch of people. Rainbow Curtains in Papakura. They came and measured up straight away, gave me a quote within a few hours and I've accepted that. So good outcome.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Davo, I'd go for ready mades every time. Getting them made for the window is always super expensive. The maker requires that you buy 3-4x the amount of material you need to cover the width so they can give you that voluminous pleated effect. Try saying you don't want that and they'll pull a face like as though you just farted.

Comment

Well LL, they are going to be made up and they are going to be pleated.

The problem with ready mades is that my windows are 5.5m wide in places. Ready mades just aren't made that big. So they'd have to join them together.

And as far as pleating goes, they're just doing a single pleat. This is mainly so that they don't bunch up too much at each end. With 2.7m of drapes each end, there'll be a fair stack anyway.

So I hope I've made the right choices.

It's amazing how much there is to learn about every single bit on a build. You have to become a semi-expert within a short time and make a decision and move on. And then you wonder if you made the right choice, or if it's all going to turn to crap. But usually it doesn't of course.
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                      X