Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes

I have a question, and perhaps its a dumb one but...

I got a quote for installing a showerdome (he came out and looked at it and measured etc etc), accepted it and paid half the quoted value as deposit.

Just had a call from the tradesman fitting it, he wants another $180 to fit it because he says the shower is not straight and needs aligned. Fine its not a lot of money, but are they allowed to do this?

We had a deal that I would pay XXX and its signed. If I turned around after he had finished and said I wanted to pay $180 less for XXX reason it wouldn't stand..

A quote is just that. He's quoted that the job will cost $xxx and you've accepted and paid a deposit.

If the job costs him more than that to complete, unfortunately he is the one out of pocket.
    Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I agree with essence. Especially as he came out and measured it on site. Have you got the quote in writing?

Comment

Originally posted by kirschbaum View Post
        I agree with essence. Especially as he came out and measured it on site. Have you got the quote in writing?
        Yes I do signed, dated and stapled to a receipt for the deposit. I am going to check the small print on it tonight, but I am feeling a bit more confident now that I know my rights. Thanks guys.

Comment

The fine print says "Any unknowns when installing will be charged as extra"

Comment

That's a very "catch all" comment.

Work out what percentage $180 is of the original quote. As a really general comment, I'd say if the $180 is 10% or more of the original quote, then there's a real problem with his pricing.

Nobody, IMO, can be that much out with their quoting. I'm wondering whether this contractor deliberately under-quotes and then hits people with the "unknowns" afterwards??

Take a deep breath, then ring the contractor up and say it's unacceptable. If he argues and quotes the "unknowns" clause, counter by stating that it's xxxx % over the original quote and that's not acceptable.

You could write him a letter enclosing your cheque for the balance of the original quote stating that "... a full and final payment of xxxxx..." If he banks it, he's accepted it as such.

Everything is solvable.
            Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Denneaux View Post
              The fine print says "Any unknowns when installing will be charged as extra"
              It's not an unknown. They looked at the shower and presumably measured it.

If it's that important for the shower to be straight then they should check that when they do the quote.

If it was quote for replacing the shower and they found the floor was rotten when the removed the old shower then they might have a case but this is something they should have checked.

They are simply trying it on. Most NZ houses are not square and the floors are not flat or level. No reason to expect your shower would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                That's a very "catch all" comment.

Work out what percentage $180 is of the original quote. As a really general comment, I'd say if the $180 is 10% or more of the original quote, then there's a real problem with his pricing.

Nobody, IMO, can be that much out with their quoting. I'm wondering whether this contractor deliberately under-quotes and then hits people with the "unknowns" afterwards??

Take a deep breath, then ring the contractor up and say it's unacceptable. If he argues and quotes the "unknowns" clause, counter by stating that it's xxxx % over the original quote and that's not acceptable.

You could write him a letter enclosing your cheque for the balance of the original quote stating that "... a full and final payment of xxxxx..." If he banks it, he's accepted it as such.

Everything is solvable.
                It's 40% of the quote - well off the 10% rule. I'm going to go in there this afternoon and pay the balance of the quote (And no more!). Maybe I'll get lucky and pay it before admin even realise there is an issue. If not I have memorised a few quotes off this forum and the website for the ministry of consumer affairs . My guess is it will be harder for them to argue when I am standing in the showroom in front of potential customers. If they want the rest they can try taking me to the disputes tribunal...

Comment

To take you to Disputes Tribunal, they need to have you state in writing that you aren't paying the account. Otherwise you're not in Dispute, you just haven't paid the account.

It only costs $30 (? been a while since I went to DT) and if the contractor wants to take you to DT, he has to pay that.

40% is not an oversight - that's gouging!!

If you have a rip-off payment portion on the invoice, write on it "Full and final payment". When you hand over the money, very casually give them this at the same time. Make sure you stand there and get a receipt straight away.

Always take a photocopy of documentation that you are sending to contractor - especially in this instance.

If you find that they lodge the unpaid account at Veda (formerly BayCorp), just advise BOTH the contractor and Veda that they have accepted your payment as FULL AND FINAL PAYMENT. It cannot proceed from there.

Stand tough.
                  Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Quotes

We provide fixed quote all the time - the only time the price should change is if something that is not able to be seen is discovered - ie take out a bath and the floor is rotten - but no access under the house-this should be clearly tagged on the quote and brought to the clients attention before signing the quote and accepting if they measured and this was striaght forward andnothing was said at time of measure just pay the quoted price. Are thye a reputable company ? Happy to have a look at their quote and Terms and conditions if you want just PM me.

If I made an extra $180 per job each year that would be a huge profit and I wouldnt be working now.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Thanks everyone. I raced around there on friday afternoon and shocked the secretary with my enthusiasm to pay off the balance of my quote. No mention of the extra $180 or any extra work being undertaken. Then, I got home and found the bill waiting for me in the letterbox - it was the exact price I had just paid (I saved myself a $15 booking fee though). So there we go, twas all a storm in a teacup. The tradesman talking to me on the phone was obviously trying it on, but the company kept to their quote.

Comment

If he gave you a quote as opposed to an estimate then he is obligated to honour it especially if he did and on site inspection prior to quoting. If it's an estimate then thats different. The only exception to the quote rule would be if you have altered the shower prior to him returning.

Comment

Well done - it pays to stand up for your rights. We find 98% of tradespeople are very honest and do as they say, but there is the odd one who will try it on.
                          www.builderscrack.co.nz

Comment

depends if it is defined as a fine or estimate, or if he has any clauses in his quote

~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X