Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors still not dropping prices, says new property research

Vendors still not dropping prices, says new property research

11:00 AM Thursday Jul 1, 2010 Property sellers are sticking to their guns, refusing to drop asking prices in the face of a continuing high stock of unsold houses, says a new report from a real estate website.
    The NZ Property Report is a monthly report of market activity compiled by Realestate.co.nz, a listings website.
    It says the average nationwide asking price of sellers in June rose slightly by $2,709 to $410,058, despite inventory levels of unsold houses remaining high at 45.3 weeks, a drop of only 1.7 weeks from the month before..
    Inventory is measured by the number of weeks of sales necessary to clear properties on the market at any one time.
    Alistair Helm, Realestate.co.nz chief executive said that while the market appeared to "be relatively flat" the numbers showed that metropolitan areas were more active than provincial New Zealand.
    Inventory fell more in the three largest cities than the national average, while the number of new listings dropped 11 per cent compared to five per cent nationwide.
    Wellington led the pack, with new listings down 18 per cent. Conversely, provincial areas saw listings rise one per cent, with inventory levels remaining high.
    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Hmmmm......Mr Helm and his figures...and impressions.Can be very misleading.

Comment

Agree.

At some point people get sick of stagnation.

Human nature.

There is that perfect logic of, "oh well, my price can go down a bit because I will have to pay less for the next one".

Comment

Except that the sell time dropped 1.7 weeks in a month. that is it dropped from 46.8 weeks to 45.3 weeks. Not sure the long term average but I would have thought somewhere about 35 weeks except in the boom.

Comment

Get real advise

Suggest you subscribe to Kierin Trass and his Subuord watch >>>>

Comment

A lot of people bought between 2006 and 2008 before the crash (after Lemon Brothers collapse), hence most are not willing to drop prices, because they bought high.

When I do DD on a potential property deal, if it was purchased after 2006, I wont bother making an offer, and I will move on to the next one.

Comment

Working...
            X