Tenancy agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy agreement

Hi folks, I've been registered here for some months now, just sitting quietly and watching and monitoring what everyone has had to say. And it's been helpful. My wife and I last week bought an investment property and have someone now ready to rent.
    So, what should we make sure we don't leave out in a tenancy agreement?
    Thanks in advance, Moose

Hi Moose, welcome to the forum.

Just in case you did not know, Tenancy Services provides a standard tenancy agreement that you can download for free from their website. It includes an inspection list that you can use as well. Good luck on your venture.

Comment

I have a list of conditions that tenants sign in addition to the tenancy agreement. The tenancy agreement has "also see attached tenancy conditions" written in it.

No pets.
      No smoking.
      Number of occupants limited to x
      No blutak or sellotape on walls
      You must make the landlord aware of outstanding maintenance

Depending on the type of property / age of tenants: no bikes inside house, no car parts inside home,

Also - are you going to clean the carpets at the end of the tenancy or do you want them to ? Include if relevant.

:-)

Comment

Sorry - I forgot to add:

(for blocks of flats) you must be a good neighbour and no noise between 11pm and 7am. A

No burning of candles is something wish I had in agreements.

I never write up the tenancy agreement until a) the first weeks rent is paid and b) they have passed a Baycorp check which does require you to get them to complete an application / privacy agreement.

80 / 20 rule applies - great tenants everywhere but the few riff raff out there will give you grief if you are too slack / gentle / nice.

Comment

There is a couple of things around heating we include:

If the property has fireplaces are they able to use them? Must they clean them yearly if they want to use them? Failure to clean the chimneys will give you a problem with insurance if the place burns down.

We state no portable Gas Heaters as it is like throwing buckets of water around the property with the moisture they produce.

N

Comment

hi Moose

I include a clause where the tenant agrees to maintin a continuing electricity supply.

Often tennants who don't pay will leave the premises in a dirty condition and also have had the electricity cut off. Cleaning etc is difficult without power & if you have to have it connect for a short period in your name it can prove quite costly. IF you then need to seek costs through the Tribunal the additional electricity costs should be able to be recovered.

regards
            OC

Comment

Thanks all, after including what everyone has had to offer I think we will come up with a complete thorough agreement. Appreciate your help, Moose.

Comment

Gas Heaters - Goodness yes! Put a NO GAS HEATERS clause in there. The damage is incredible if the person has no inclination to mop up the condensation.
                Thank you, Hawkeye for the reminder. :-)

Comment

Tenancy Agreements/ Inspection Reports: Compulsery or not

Hi All,
                  Have a bit of a dilemia. Are PM's, required by law to get a Tenancy Agreement signed by all parties at the commencement of a tenancy. I brought my first New Zealand IP Dec 04, with a tenant; and am still waiting for answers. Ive made phone calls, faxed her, even spoken personally with the PM, when I was home in March. I also asked for the property inspection report, and was told that she had made notes and it has was filed in the office somewhere.
                  Ive just spend money doing improvements, so I can use the equity on the next property. Only problem there; I can't get it done yet, as the landscaper hasnt been there to pull out a few tree's; and the garage mob havent started on their job. Thanks be, the builder is under way with the two deckings.
                  Any suggestions as to how I can get out of this mess. Can I remove the PM and install a new one. Considering I pay 8%, I thought they would be a help, not a hinderance. Won't be buying the next IP thru this mob, thats for sure. What about the Tenant, how can I replace her. She seem's to think that water should go down thru the floor boards, the mould on the bedroom wall will just disappear, the house will clean itself, oh and the lawns as well. Makes the whole place look untidy.

Val
                  Kiwi in Oz

Comment

Download the Tenancy agreement here

If I have seen further than others,
                    it is because I have stood on the shoulder of giants. Isaac Newton

Comment

Hi Val,

You could approach another PM and ask these questions... I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Where is your proeprty? Perhaps someone can give a recommendation...
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Tenancy Agreements/ Inspection Reports: Compulsery or not

Thanks for the replies.
                        Scarface: Looks like I will need to download the paper work from the tenancy board and have it on hand, or maybe get in touch with them and get brochures etc, sent to Aussie.

Dave; I will take up your suggestion of ringing around other PM's in the area, and start on that today.
                        I actually brought in Kawerau, and there's only the one PM there, other's I know of are in Whakatane.

Actually got an update from my builder at 6.30am this morning; no landscaper has been. Pays not to pay in advance for work to be done.
                        Rung him Tuesday of last week and left a message, and no he hasnt contacted me.
                        I also rung the Real Estate and spoke to the PM; she assured me that the paperwork was in the post, along with the monthly rental a/c. I also faxed her a copy of the landscapers quote, as she said she would follow this up. Its very annoying when they don't ring/email or fax you back as to what is happening. I even hinted that I would be going back to buy another IP soon.
                        Silly me, I thought that telling her this would improve the relationship.
                        Ah well, we live and learn.
                        Would anyone know if the Bay Of Plenty area has Independant PM's. I know the Hawkes Bay area does.

Comment

Hi Val53

I am sure there is another PM in Kawerau I think there is L J Hooker and Centry21.
                          I am going up to Whakatane to do some property inspections over the weekend while I am there I will find out for you and get back.

Cheers Warwick

Comment

Working...
                          X