• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Manurewa Property Manager??

Until recently managed all our properties myself but as travelling quite a bit thought would try property management. Gave our Manurewa property to one of the big RE places in Manurewa and am very unimpressed.
    Anyone recommend a PM that handles this area?

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Until recently managed all our properties myself but as travelling quite a bit thought would try property management. Gave our Manurewa property to one of the big RE places in Manurewa and am very unimpressed.
    Anyone recommend a PM that handles this area?
    Curious. Are you tied into a fixed term for the PM to manage it?

A month's notice

I used Ray White Manukau.
    They were a bit hit and miss. But overall satisfactory for me.

My experience in Wellington is the the Real Estate PM's are generally slack, small and medium independents can be bad, average or great (ask around), and the big Q are... how can I put this..... trading on a large marketing budget rather than quality of service.

I don'r know Auckland, but I'm wlling to be the best PM's are small / medium independents.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin McCandless View Post
    I don'r know Auckland, but I'm wlling to be the best PM's are small / medium independents.
    What size would you say was small/medium Robin?

One man entities running up to 120 propertiies?

Varying sizes of rentals managed per PM (120-180pp)?

Small number of PMs running their own portfiolo within a company?

Large company running a small number of properties per PM but having any of the PMs operating on a particular property?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitt
    In what way hit and miss Whitt?
    I think the problem with the place I am with is the PMs have too many properties each and things get overlooked/forgotten
    Last edited by revdev; 07-06-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: quote

Quote Originally Posted by Keys View Post
    What size would you say was small/medium Robin?

One man entities running up to 120 properties?
    Small. Service totally dependant on the individual. No backup. Thin systems.

Varying sizes of rentals managed per PM (120-180pp)?
    180per PM is stretching it. Needs very slick systems/ and or higher end lower maintenance properties.
    Small number of PMs running their own portfiolo within a company?
    As long as they back each other up to provide holiday cover and sickness cover (and use a common system and approach so the handover is easy)
    Large company running a small number of properties per PM but having any of the PMs operating on a particular property?
    Also not great. There should be a primary PM for each property, so they know the quirks of the property and tenants, but common enough systems that others can step in if needed.

Small is 100-400 properties with more than one PM.
    Medium is 400-1000 properties

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Whitt said
    HTML Code:
    In what way hit and miss Whitt?
    I think the problem with the place I am with is the PMs have too many properties each and things get overlooked/forgotten
    They did a satisfactory job and seemed to handle everything OK. But I found they seemed to slide into complacency occasionally.

But then again most of my P.M's all over NZ seem to have this issue and not be proactive much anymore. I suspect that due to recession they have been loaded with too many properties and cant keep up.

So I would lump them into being average. They did not make mistakes like some P.M's I have had previously. But then again they did not go the extra mile either.

Would I recommend them?
    Yes. They did the job I contracted them to do at an adequate standard. And unless I found somewhere who was amazing I would not risk changing P.M's.

I am now being very proactive with any P.M I have. I am reviewing all overlooked maintenance and have replaced 2 managers recently for under performing.

Hope that helps

Default Mediocrity appears to be the standard

Whitt wrote
    They did a satisfactory job and seemed to handle everything OK. But I found they seemed to slide into complacency occasionally.
    Interesting Whitt; basically I get the feeling that one has to keep a close watch as it is not really a "Peace of Mind" service that we are getting - as several firms advertise it so.

So I would lump them into being average. They did not make mistakes like some P.M's I have had previously. But then again they did not go the extra mile either.
    Does not exactly instill confidence in me- but does not surprise me either.

But then again most of my P.M's all over NZ seem to have this issue and not be proactive much anymore. I suspect that due to recession they have been loaded with too many properties and cant keep up.
    The place I am with (I now find out) grabbed many new properties when a large local management sold its rental list. The buyers were in a suburb quite a way away and many landlords jumped ship as this was a major concern.

Would I recommend them?
    Yes. They did the job I contracted them to do at an adequate standard. And unless I found somewhere who was amazing I would not risk changing P.M's.
    Sad- one really hopes for more than an adequate standard- not brilliant but at least a good standard.

I am now being very proactive with any P.M I have. I am reviewing all overlooked maintenance and have replaced 2 managers recently for under performing.

Hope that helps
    Yes it does help. Certainly does not give me much confidence in PMs.
    Over the years many on here have castigated fellow PTalkers for looking after properties themselves and getting into trouble. They have been strongly advised to get a PM- to let the professionals look after their investment.
    There have also been numerous posts on the problems PTalkers have had with PMs.
    Seems one still has to be eternally vigilant, which can be difficult when overseas.
    Thanks for the reply.

Thread Information